myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Floor boards and bilgewater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor boards and bilgewater
    Posted: 26 April 2011 at 10:49
I am getting water in the bilge and underfloor space while sailing and was going to lift floors to check source! It looks like furniture has been installed on top. Anyone lifted floors?
Friendly ghost
nickfabbri View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickfabbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2011 at 11:51

Is it salt water? That would be my first test. Dip your finger in and have a taste.

More than likely it is fresh water. I don't think that lifting the flooring will help though. I have had my 320 for three years and have found that if water ingress occurs through loose deck fitments/windows or more likely from  a burst pipe in winter, then because of the compartments under the floor it can take months for it to appear in the liftable sections.
Also when I split my stern shower, although the leak was small ( less than a fast drip), the water pump was starting every ten to thirty seconds.  If your pump is not kicking in regularly, then it is more than likely rain water .
Hope this helps.
Nick71
Hanse 320
Casper View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 00:51
Thanks,
It is, as you thought, fresh water so far as I can tell, and there was a frozen and fractured water system pump which allowed spillage.
I understand that the Starboard seat chest assembly can be removed (very heavy) giving access to hull and underfloor space.
Friendly ghost
nickfabbri View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickfabbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 08:55
If the water pump that pressurises the system isn't running or starting every couple of minutes, then your water system is still intact and water tight. I would honestly save yourself the trouble and leave it.
Having emptied my entire water tank into the bilges twice now through frozen stern shower heads, I know that you will be forever chasing water spillage.
I would suggest leaving the bilge pump on auto, getting a large car sponge and going sailing. The heeling and motion of the boat will allow any water to eventually find its way into the area below the ccess panel next to the steps ,spare yourself the boat dismantling chore.
Nick71
Hanse 320
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 19:15
It is a nuisance to unscrew the floor boards to get to the water
I have noted where the deapest part of the bige is &drilled a 8mm hole in the floor board on one of the " lines" in the ply
I now insert the hose from my oil sump pump which is 8mm diameter. being a good fit it holds the pipe nice & square. I push it in until it touches the bilge bottom. I can then pump just about every drop of water out.
The trouble with the bilge pump is that it needs at least 20mm of water to make it switch on.As a result when the boat heals the water comes over the floor board soaking any thing it comes in to contact with

Daydream Believer
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Casper View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 00:50
That was the original problem. The previous owner had allowed the water pressure pump to freeze and it had burst turning on and emptying half the tank into bilge. The water was pumped out of all three access points but the pans at each side contain a lot of inaccessable water! This of course appeared while sailing and required a further two bailouts. Apart from slippy cabin sole while sailing, I would like it as dry as possible underneath. I like the idea of extra access points as increased humidity inside the boat is very undesirable for all year round sailing in the UK.

Thanks to all for helpful information.

Edited by Casper - 29 April 2011 at 00:57
Friendly ghost
Gordon Harrison View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordon Harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2011 at 07:35
Dont forget to keep drying out the compartment with the hot water tank in, if you allow this to fill it will drain itself into the rest of the bilge when heeled. A vacumm pump does this job very well.
Gordon
Drumduff View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumduff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 14:40
We have also had fresh water in our bilge but I have now finally found out where it's coming from and how to stop it. The water has definately been coming from two places. The first was from the fresh water tank which looked ok until we got hit by 30knot winds on Friday. As the boat leaned over water leaked into the bilge. So that was an easy fix.
The second leak was from where I had suspected which was from the hose connections to the tap in the heads sink.
Contrary to beleif you don't need to pull the entire sink to bits to gain access. The top drawer comes out and you can see the three hoses that fit into the tap assembly. There are hot & cold hoses & the hose to the flexible tap outlet. All these connections are push fit connections. Each hose has an O ring that acts as the seal. On our hot hose had slipped down causing water to leak slowly. There is also a locating pin that holds this hose in place but I'm not sure if that was connected properly from build as I couldn't see how the hose could have slipped had it been in the right place. If you need to get at this pin the tap has to come out of the sink. This is done by undoing the tap holding nut that can be found under the sink. When undone the tap pulls out of its location pulling the hoses up through the sink. I found it easier to disconnect the tap flexible hose from it's hose. It's quite awkward to get at the connections but there really is no need to cut bits of sink furniture away. The galley sink also has push fit connections.

Edited by Drumduff - 01 May 2011 at 14:44
JohnA View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 15:23
Hi Drumduff,

I bought the boat to go sailing.

John

Edited by JohnA - 04 November 2019 at 22:42
Hanse 320 #464 'Discovery'
Drumduff View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumduff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 09:10

Same for us. All our leaking water problems occurred when the cockpit shower fitting also froze up and split so it's probably been the same for the sink. Still no leaking windows yet though!!Clap 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>