myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seacocks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 20>
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy_Diver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 02:49
My original bronze thru-hulls were in perfect shape probably because the material was real bronze, not brass. However i decided to put new composite type thru-hull from Tru Design Plastics.
http://www.trudesignplastics.com/products/3-below_water_skin_fitting
Initially I was searching the market for marelon valves made by Forespar but could not find it locally. Then I have foud similar composite type (i guess kind of a glass reinforced plastic material) valves at Tru Design. Very good quality and easy to operate. The only issue is that the composite valves are a little larger compared to bronze valves. If your valves are fitted very close to each other, you may face problem fitting the composite valves.
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2012 at 07:50
I have come across a forum with a thread about seacocks & marelon failing
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333311&goto=newpost
Suggests that this product does have some problems with handles breaking & needs regular greasing
Not sure of the validity of this but those intending to change may wish to investigate first
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 18:28
If you go to one of the major chandler's in Sweden you will find that they will sell brass skin fittings and nickel plated brass ball valves OR the same things in stainless steel. They do not sell bronze parts and they tell you that the brass parts will last for decades (because that is what the supplier claims).

I previously thought that the valves on my boat were made of stainless steel but I now think that they are nickel plated brass. I just read the 15 pages in this thread and no one mentions that the valves would be stainless so I am assuming that you guys have thought they were brass all along? But why then has it been discussed that the valves and the skin fittings would be of different materials which would create corrosion?

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 25 February 2013 at 18:46
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 18:32
The supplier in the case above is an Italian company called Itap.

I would not be surprised if Hanse uses the same supplier but I don't how to find out for sure.

Johan

sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 18:38
Hi Johan,
for my understanding Hanse was using different Type's of Material for the Seacocks, depending of the financial Situation of the Yard in the Past!
I change all my Seacocks this Winter to the Tru Design Brand, including the Trough Hull Fittings and all Stuff of Connectors! If you have this stuff in Hand, you never'll go to anything else!

Now I can forget all the discussions about Seacock!!Tongue

regards

Edited by sailkoop - 25 February 2013 at 18:38
best regards

Bjoern

Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 18:39
On some of the valve handles on my boat it says "Mega" and if you google "mega ball valve" you find this site. It says that the valve is brass and it looks very much like a few of my valves. Who the manufacture is not revealed and I am not enough of a Google Sherlock Holmes to get any further with it.

Johan

Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 18:45
Originally posted by sailkoop sailkoop wrote:

Hi Johan,
for my understanding Hanse was using different Type's of Material for the Seacocks, depending of the financial Situation of the Yard in the Past!

As with everything on a Hanse, you can never be sure that you boat looks exactly the same as another forum member's. At the moment I am just trying to find out what needs to replaced on my boat.

Below is a picture of the holding tank outlet on my boat. It appears from reading this thread that this is the most important to replace.

I am now assuming that the parts are all brass coming from one of, or a similar, manufacturer to those I am referring to above.

Johan

Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 19:11
Originally posted by Johan Hackman Johan Hackman wrote:

Will a skin fitting have a different size if it is measured in inches instead of millimetres?

I was under the impression that my skin fittings and valves were in metric dimensions but someone has written "1 1/4" and "38" inside the hull on my boat. 38 makes sense as this is the inner diametre of the holding tank hose but the other numbers indicate that I should look for parts in imperial dimensions. This actually allows me to use Tru-Design's products.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 25 February 2013 at 19:19
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 19:17
Hi Johan

Here is the "setup" on (I dare to say) ALL Hanse boats:

Thru hulls / skin fittings are made of brass - maybe / maybe not of the dezincification resistant type "DZR"! (According to Yeoman - in a previous posting - they are indeed made of DZR). DZR is (probably) almost as good as bronze (and nearly just as expensive).

Seacocks / valves, on the other hand, are made of ordinary brass with the designation "MS58" (you might check that for yourself on Emilia). This is NO GOOD on a boat / in a maritime environment.

As for the supply of bronze fittings, most chandlers in Denmark do actually supply these. These are made of the right stuff, if you can rely on the suppliers information that is.Confused

Watski of Sweden (which I am sure you know about) can supply you with TruDesign composite fittings. They are about the same price as bronze fitting (in fact I believe they are a bit cheaper). TruDesign fittings would be a "once-and-for-all-solution". You can forget everything about corrosion, electrolysis etc.Big smile

Ole,
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Lynetten, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hanse 342 (grey hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, Jefa rudder - RUD34)
alidal View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alidal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 19:24
Hanse 400#655
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 20>