myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bow Thruster not working (Max Prop Compact Retract
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bow Thruster not working (Max Prop Compact Retract

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary 400e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bow Thruster not working (Max Prop Compact Retract
    Posted: 17 July 2011 at 10:22
Hi All
Yesterday when we sailed out on our summer vacation trip, the bow thruster worked well for 10 sec and then it just stopped and retracked automatic.
When I try to start the bow thruster it make one buzz and the LED (ON/Off button) flash one, then nothing.
I have checked all the wiring and fuses.
I can operate the bow thruster in "Manuel mode" as descriped in the manuel, and I can change to "Automatic Setup mode" and the thruster run the procedure with no problems. But the thruster will not start. I have inspected the bow prop in the water and it can run free, and it all looks normal.
Help wanted :-)
Best regards
Jesper

Tiramisu 400e (DEN-161)
lukemi View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 17:23
Jesper,

Basically the same thing happend to me last month. I went to use the thruster and I got one long tone, a blinking green LED, then it shut off. I called Max Power and they immediately knew the problem. Apparently the compact retract has a bad design with the internal temperature sensor. After a period of time, the sensor goes bad and the thruster will not engage. There is no way to repair this sensor!!!! The solution was to cut the two white wires to the sensor. This worked fine for me. The thruster has been working fine for the last 4 weeks. The dealer indicated that this has been a major problem with the earlier units. The newer units apparently have 2 temperature sensors. Since I rarely use my thruster for more than 10 seconds "thrusts", the dealer did not think it would be a problem for me to run without a sensor. Check with your dealer and discuss this possibility. Manuals are online so you can review wiring diagrams for any wires to cut if necessary.

Mike
Stella Maris 370e#166

Mary 400e View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary 400e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 21:38
Hi Mike
Thanks for your feedback, I will make a test tomorrow morning.
Best regards
Jesper
Tiramisu 400e (DEN-161)
Mary 400e View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary 400e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2011 at 21:19
Hi Mike
I have cut the 2 white wires to the temperature sensor and now the bow thruster is working perfect.
Thanks for your help.
Best regards
Jesper

Edited by Mary 400e - 21 July 2011 at 21:19
Tiramisu 400e (DEN-161)
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 17:22
Thumbs%20UpClapThumbs%20Up   another happy ending on the myHanse forum. Woohoo
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
lukemi View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2011 at 13:26
Jesper

I'm glad to hear this worked for you. That is one of the great benefits of the Hanse forum. I have learned a great deal about my boat over the years from this forum. I'm glad to also help when I can. As Rubato says "another happy ending" because of the select group on this web site.

Regards, Mike
Stella Maris

alanvkrasno View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanvkrasno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 16:42
I too an having trouble with my Retractable 12v Max Power Thruster. It worked v well but suddenly all I get when trying to turn it on in the usual way is a longer pause then a 3 sec  beep. And no lights come on I cant get any help as Max Power/Plastimo are in Administration.  My last resort is to cut the sensor wires tomorrow as suggested . 

Has anyone sourced or replaced the sensor that is malfunctioning?? 

Cry
paul_heinz View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul_heinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 19:07
I´ve had the same problem with the maxpower compact retract.
I got the advice not to replace the sensor as this was close to impossible. I should only take care not to overheat the thruster (no more  than 3 minutes as per usage)
As I usually use it only for less than 15 seconds its all fine with me and I didn´t replace. I know another H400 owner who is using the thruster for now 6 years without an problem.
VagaMundo View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VagaMundo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2013 at 01:16
Hi all.
I've installed this device from 2008.
Two years after, in a windy journey, I was used the Compact Retract a lot of times during the docking maneuver but shortly time every time.
The temperature sensor is breakdown.
Provisionally fix the problem by cutting the sensor cable to leave open circuit.
Talking with my dealer, I ordered a new one sensor.
when I had the sensor I lift the boat to maintenance and to repair de bowthruster.
To replace the sensor had to remove the electric motor to the wire winding.
Inside I found that there were two sensors, although only one was connected, the other showed their cables in order to change a sensor by the other.
But I changed the damaged sensor and plugged it, leaving the original replacement sensor ready for next time.
Everything worked fine after the repair, but the work is delicate and you must have good tools and lots of patience.

Yesterday came back to fail the device on a windy maneuver. I still have not checked the fault but I can imagine that this is the same breakdown.
I think these sensors are too sensitive and should not fail in a maneuver that really was not abusive (no more tan 20 seconds!).
Certainly I will let the white wire disconnected and I´ll use the bowthruster with common sense, since I'm the only one who handles my boat.
This is my experience and opinión.
Thanks!
dr.amon View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr.amon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2016 at 16:12
     I have had the same problem with my bow and stern thrusters like this and electric technician have said me that directly connect the cable,
  I understand te problem now,
Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>