myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top part of the forestay

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2015 at 17:09
Good job Johan, some peace of mind for the coming season :)
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Agathe 341 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agathe 341 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 12:47

When I rolled the headsail in, came an sound klonk-klonk from the drum.
When I dismantled the drum, there was two plastic bearings in the drum. The blocks were part of the forestay, to center the steel wire.
At the top of the bearing was a mark from the screw (labeled A). So bearings had fallen down because they were not properly positioned relative to the screw.
Now I roll the headsail in without the help of winches and without klonk-klonk.

Ulrik Holt
CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 13:57
There is a similar screw on my Furlex. It has to be undone when greasing the bearings. When it is being undone, there comes a point when the foil suddenly drops a couple of centimetres with a clunk. You have to remember to lift the foil when replacing the screw so that the screw engages properly and the foil is then correctly positioned.

There is no warning about this in the Selden manual, so was quite scary when it first happened when I first did the greasing a few years back.

Charles
'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2015 at 23:58
Hello Johan,

I had similar problems with my furling being very heavy and it was not until a couple of years ago I found out why. I have copper coat antifouling, so Blue Horizon stays in the water all year round. When the mast was taken down and Blue Horizon put on a cradle to change the sail drive seal I inspected the furling gear, took pictures and had discussions with Facnor as I could not find any top bearings. It transpired that the the most likely cause was the furling gear had never been installed with these as no bearings were present at the top and no pieces were present within the foil.

Blue Horizon was 8 years old when this was discovered so I had to buy the top bearings. I inspected the rest of the furling gear and despite these bearings having been missing from day one no damage appeared to be present. Having rebuilt with the top bearings now in place furling has been very smooth and reliable since, so I don't believe you need to worry about your furling gear developing other problems.

Hope this puts your mind at rest when out sailing in some of the very heavy winds we have been experiencing this season.Wink

Regards,

Rob H

Cheers,

Rob
"Blue Horizon" Hanse 341#113 Portsmouth Harbour UK
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 23:48
Thanks Rob,

My furling works better know but I am beginning to realise that I should also make sure that there are bearings at the bottom as well. It has already been highlighted in this thread but I got a bit confused because I had the wrong instructions manual.

However, the bearings at the bottom are easy to replace/add (when missing) as you only have to undo the hexagon screw and lift the foil a couple of centimetres.

Johan
robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2015 at 13:31
Thanks for the feedback Johan.

My Jib now furls easily since I installed the top bearings but as you suggest it is quite simple to check the bottom ones are in place and working. Therefore I will do this next time I am on the boat as these may also have been omitted when the foil was put together.

Cheers,

Rob
"Blue Horizon" Hanse 341#113 Portsmouth Harbour UK
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456