myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cherry vs Mahony (any complaints)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben de Bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cherry vs Mahony (any complaints)
    Posted: 28 April 2006 at 21:05

Hi,

We have ordered a 370e and it is now time to make the final choice on the interior. We were able to compare Cherry vs Mahony, because the NL dealer was about to deliver both to their new owners at the same time. We prefer Cherry, but were very disappointed with the quality of the Cherry interior of that specific boat.  The difference in colour was so big that it could not stay unnoticed. We now really  start to question the quality control at Hanse. I assume that the NL dealer will solve this by ordering new doors, but it is very unlikely that it will ever match with the rest.

Hence my request to 370/400 owners to share their experience with us on the quality of the interior.  We hope this is just an accident or did you experience the same problem. If so how was it solved?

If Hanse cannot guarantee quality on the Cherry interior we may opt for the Mahony, assuming that difference in colour between the elements is less likely.

We understand that there will always be some difference, but in this case it was the first thing you noticed when entering the cabin. I really hope that you are all very satisfied, and that we do not have to worry.

Regards, Ben

Popeye View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2006 at 21:21

I have a cherry interior, even although I think it's a strange name. To me it looks more like light beech or maple. Anyhow, getting back on track..... I am super delighted with my Cherry interior. I saw Hull Number 1 at the Oslo show in Sept 05, and it was also very well done. My cabinett doors match each other (i.e. doors in the forward cupboard are cut from same veneer part, the grains match at the seam). The doors (all the bits actually) are also well matched regarding general colour and grain.

My boat was an early build number (#17), maybe things have relaxed after the initial builds.

I am also very pleased with the quality of the varnish, it is nicely satin / half gloss without the coarse "orange peel" effect found on e.g. Bavaria.

Overall satisfaction on the cabinetry = 10/10 

Popeye the sailorman
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2006 at 02:57
I also have an early 370, hull #7, but with a mahogany interior.  We are very pleased with the wuality of the entire interior finsih.  Hundreds of people have been through my boat (it was the display Hanse at the Cleveland and Chicago Sail Shows) and yet the bright gloss finish remains near perfect. I'm very pleased with it.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
colincooper View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2006 at 09:18

We too have the "cherry".  It all matches well and we are very pleased with it.  There is a fair amount of variation in the grain and colour - but to us that adds not detracts.  There is nothing glaring like you describe.

The light coloured wood combined with the white GRP walls and off-white headlining makes for a very light and large-seeming interior.

On a practical note a wide variation in colour/grain makes it easier to match if you want to add shelves and lockers.

Colin (owner of Hilde - a 370)
gertha View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2006 at 22:17

Ben ,

I thought the same as your self regurd colours and grain, however in production both woods are the same ,it is then either dark or light varnish , obviously the dark covers the colour difference.

There is no problem with quality on either, however Hanse make to a price so to get a perfect match of wood and vener is proably not realistic. To keep in perspective a client of mine has taken delivery of a new Bentley with light wood and leather, whilst the inside is better than a Hanse it is still not perfect and pound for pound we could all have a better boat for the price of a car of that sort.

Simon

Simon

colincooper View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2006 at 06:27

Simon,

Someone else said that the wood for the different options was the same with a different coloured varnish.  I asked Hanse and they said this was not the case.  I looked at the two sample bits and they looked significantly different wood grain and colour to me.

Colin.

Colin (owner of Hilde - a 370)
JofB View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JofB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2006 at 01:10

I agree with Colin's post - we looked at sample bits of each and there was a slight difference in the overall thickness between the two as well.

Grey Goose has the "cherry" interior and looks great, we think.  There are some slight shade variations between some panels but I still much prefer the natural look of the wood to a man-made plastic veneer.  Some of the doors have been matched for grain while others have not - to be honest, the Hanses are very competitively priced and while it may look prettier to have everything matching more closely it adds greatly to the cost without making the boat sail any better...

Jof
400e #31 - Grey Goose
Cremč Brulče View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cremč Brulče Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2006 at 21:21

I agree with u grey goose. the norwegian Hanse dealer told me when i bought Crčme Brulče that the wood is the same just different color. Any way i like the way Hanse does it and i belive that many of the other brands will produce the boats more and more like Hanse.

http://www.seilmagasinet.no/seiltv/ look under Nyhetsarkiv and click Hanse grunder.

buyer View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2006 at 10:36
I think mahogany is the best bet because it has a naturally warm, reddish colour to it, which makes all the difference when the boat is in its natural environment. Our 411 has mahogany and I would not want it any other way. Have been on other Hanses and the other woods, while looking great under light at a boat show, look grey and dull when in situ on the water.
 Post Reply Post Reply