myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical diagrams deduced by owners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2006 at 15:41
Looking forward to the description Popeye got from Charles Sterling. 

I will post a full diagram of the whole thing later when I get the thing to work.
Galatea
Popeye View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2006 at 21:05
I have dug out the mail from Charles Sterling (top) and my original question (bottom). It was as I remembered a couple of days ago. Seems simple. Is this how you have been trying to connect?

If you are doing according to Charles instructions and it's not working, then I would pop a mail directly to him, instead of asking the Norwegian agent. Let me know if I can help. I will shortly be in the same dilema as you!  His mail is  help@sterling-power.com

its simple  
as per the instructions

your boat has the alternator going to the starter motor then to the engine start battery

remove the wire from the alternator to starter moter at the alt. tape it up and put somewhere safe

put new wire from your alternator to the AB1290 then one wire to domestic battery, and one to engine start battery ( as per instructions )

then remove the relay system which hanse has fitted 
job done 

Sirs,

After having studied your informative website I have decided that I would like to install a AB1290 Alternator to Battery Charger to my new Hanse sailboat, that already has a 50A Sterling Battery Charger fitted.

The Hanse has a direct plus & minus connection between the alternator and the engine battery, and a small relay that parallel connects the house batteries once the engine battery is over 13.8V. As such I can not see how I should connect the AB1290 in between the alternator and the two battery packs. 

I hope that you can use a few minutes to study the schematic and explain to me how I should connect the AB1290.

Popeye the sailorman
Galatea View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2006 at 07:41
Thanks for your reply.  This is exactly how I have hooked up the unit, only that the Hanse 371 has a distributor switch selecting 1 , 1+2 , 2 ,  OFF, instead of your voltage sensitive relay for charging.  The switch in my boat  selects both charging to the batteries, and drain from the two different battery banks.   In addition I was told to connect a  wire from the starter solenoid to the unit to supply  + 12V to the alternator.  This wire was necessary to start up the Hitachi alternator.   Will contact Charles Sterlig on mail and get his advise.

Reply will be posted.

Galatea
Popeye View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2006 at 08:07

According to Charles the voltage sense relay is to be dicsonnected (which I have already done since it can't handle the 80A charge current as today).

I would assume from the Sterling diagrams that your 1, 1+2, 2 switch should also be disposed of.

The extra wire you mention, is that a thin wire, that goes from the starter solenoid and to the AB1290 unit. Running from engine bay to battery area.

In addition to a  new fat cable running from the alternator to the Ab1290.

Looking forward to a diagram explaining how it all works.Thumbs%20Up
Popeye the sailorman
Edon View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2006 at 14:49
I want to add another picture

Edited by Edon - 22 October 2006 at 14:53
Edon
Galatea View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2006 at 21:29
Sterling AB charger.

Popeye -  I promised you the final layout drawings for the  Sterling AB  charger, but have to disappoint you. After a lot of testing and correspondance with the Sterling rep. in Norway, I finally returned the unit.  It never worked for me. 
However, during all the testing, I changed the + wire from the alternator to the starter to a 35 square cable ( the original is 6 or 10 square) -  That helped a lot to the charging, so will see next season if this is really what was needed  to top-up batteries in a shorter time.

Regards Galatea
Galatea
Jrhodeisland View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrhodeisland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2007 at 23:49

Buying a 370 in France and just wondered if I may encounter any issues with the electrical. Is there anything diffrent in terms of voltgae AC/ DC power that may cause me problems/expenses when brininging it to the US?

Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 06:49

The one thing that came to mind was the voltage the shore power is setup for.  I just did a web search and found a site that shows the voltages around the world.

It appears France runs on a 230V/50 Hertz system vs. the 110V/60 that North America has. So you may have to do some work on things like the batter charger and the type of plug on the shore power cord. I'd suggest contacting the local Hanse dealer and see if he can assist in identifying the changes needed. I think it likely he could get the parts for you if anything needs changing out....
Steve

Edited by Rubato - 02 February 2007 at 06:50
colincooper View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 08:39
The 370 comes with a Sterling battery charger.  Have a look at www.sterling-power.com .   That website says:

"Automatic 110/230 volt selector:
The in built system enables the charger to be automatically used on a wide voltage range from 80-300 volts A/C. This covers all the possibilities encountered on any marine in the world."

So you are OK with that.

The single mains output (under the chart table) will be a European style round-pin plug.  But I'm sure you can easily use an adapter to the US style.  I suggest you don't get any extra mains power sockets installed by Hanse - but, if you want them, install in the US.

The shore-power connector is standard in European marinas.  It is one with a hard waterproof shell.  You will need a cable to run to the marina conection and can put whatever you like on the end of that cable to match what you find.   If it is anything like in Europe you will find many connectors at that end that marina owners try to make it hard for you just to plug in without paying them for the power.

I strongly advise you check the battery charger with the dealer.  This is the setup on my 370.  Hanse sometimes change things.
Colin (owner of Hilde - a 370)
371-#122 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 371-#122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 12:28
Also carefully check the wiring size - remember cut the voltage in half, you double the amperage.  The wires may now be undersized, causing a risk of overheating and fire.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>