myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gennaker size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gennaker size
    Posted: 31 December 2011 at 00:44
Wondering?
 What size do you have on your gennakers? it is time for some shopping Big smile
From M&R Norway
Hanse 400 `06
Wilko Emmens View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilko Emmens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2011 at 16:05
Hallo Nikko,
Mine is 123 m2 which works fine,  if you are not using a Genoa consider a Code 0.
ueitugò View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ueitugò Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 09:42
Hi Nikko!

My gennaker is the same size as Wilko's, i.e. about 120 sq. m. It'a a North gennaker I bought directly from Hanse as an option (not a cheap one, I guess it costed about 6000 euro in 2007). It works very nicely while broad reaching, but you can't reach too close (I'd say no more than about 110°). I have a 140% genoa, so that limit is ok to me, but - as Wilko correctly pointed out - you might want to consider something different if you're  using the standard jib.

--------------------------------
Ueitugò - Hanse 400e #310
Nikko View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 00:15

Happy new year and thank you for responses :)

Have considered Code 0, but (there are always som but`s) if the gennaker have full lenght on luff to be hoisted above forestay and about 180% of foot lenght of J with a flat cut I have heard that it should be possible to go higher than 90°...  Shocked 
I have the selftacker and would probably change it to a deep 105% but not this year.
 So for cruising purposes I will go for the gennaker, as big as possible but it must be possible to go 90-70° and not set from the masthead as I do not trust the top of the mast to handle big sideways forces if broaching in some wind.
From M&R Norway
Hanse 400 `06
Mary 400e View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary 400e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 18:44
Hi All

I have used a Quantum Gennaker on 137 m2 in 0,75 oz, including a “snuffer” since 2008 with succes.

It is a Vision type “3” design for vind angles between 80 and 160 degrees.

The size is fine for cruising up to 12 m/s. There are no problem regarding handling, but a snuffer is a “must” have option. I also use it for 2 star racing where we used it in 12-16 m/s with no problems, with a lot of surf rides Smile

In 2010 I added a Quantum code 0 on a roller (I can't remember the size), and we use this for a lot of crusing and also racing.
I have reinforced the bow-sprit with a dyneema line to take the big presure, and off cause changed all running rig to dyneema.
BR Jesper
Tiramisu 400e (DEN-161)
Mark P View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 20:20
I use an asymmetric spinnaker 115m2 masthead off a bow sprit.

Jesper, can you give me some information on the code 0? In what wind strengths and angles do you use it? What is the related boat speed?

Many thanks,
Mark P
StephenDadour View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StephenDadour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 05:56
Hi, I have a North Sails Genoa 3DL 680 140%. This gives the boat plenty of drive in the light wind, its no good after about 14knots as the boat falls away alot.

Regards Stephen
Evenstar View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evenstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 17:58
Jesper and Mark P - could you post a picture of your bow sprit?  We are consideirng modifications to add a sprit and are wondering what others have done.

Thanks

Nikko View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2012 at 20:13
Originally posted by Mary 400e Mary 400e wrote:

Hi All

I have used a Quantum Gennaker on 137 m2 in 0,75 oz, including a “snuffer” since 2008 with succes.

It is a Vision type “3” design for vind angles between 80 and 160 degrees.

The size is fine for cruising up to 12 m/s. There are no problem regarding handling, but a snuffer is a “must” have option. I also use it for 2 star racing where we used it in 12-16 m/s with no problems, with a lot of surf rides Smile

Thank you for the response.
May I ask for the measures for the Gennaker? and where do you fly it from, masthead or fractional?

From M&R Norway
Hanse 400 `06
Mark P View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2012 at 21:04

A home-made carbon fibre / vinylester bow sprit using Selden fittings, through a custom fitting that fits into the existing bow sprit socket on the 2008 model 400.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>