myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do we need one battery for anchor winch only?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
hanno View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do we need one battery for anchor winch only?
    Posted: 12 June 2016 at 10:15
Oh, I f**ked up. But not badly... The boat had a new start battery so I _assumed_ that the only new battery (labeled start battery) is the start battery. It wasn't. One really should check and validate before assuming anything.  And in this case the validation was quite easy... just follow the wire... So no wonder the volt meter showed the same voltage for start + home as they were connected to the same bank... 
370e prev 320#429
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2016 at 09:16
Hanno,
It s al getting a little confusing and some of us will give you wrong information just try to help you.
Can you sent a small wiring drawning of the org. and the new set up who show us the house- start- and windlass batteries the wiring and somewhere in the proximity there must be a batteries combiner ( Cyrix relais) or at least a battery
Isolator splitter (Victron- Sterling -Mastervolt )
and where and how the voltagegauges are connected
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
hanno View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 17:24
Okey, nothing blew up after connecting the +. But (there is always a but), now the volt-meter shows the same value for both "batteries". And as the boat is new to me I'm not sure if it used to show home + start or home + anchor. Do you have the answer? (Hopefully for my boat it used to be the home+anchor as otherways I have a bigger problem...) And do you happen to know where it measures the voltage so that I can double check and change the setup...

Thanks.

Hanno.
370e prev 320#429
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2016 at 09:26
I changed mine to include the anchor winch battery in the house bank.  Simple to do, but I suggest leaving the relay in place so you still need the engine running for the winch to work.
An addition I put into the circuit at the time was a voltage protection device to stop the batteries running too low on volts.  Screams at you just before it reaches the cut off voltage to warn you to start charging and then if you don't do something cuts the circuit to protect the batteries from damage.  Works well; although I'm much better at remembering to turn things off since I put it in so it has only tripped once!!
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
hanno View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2016 at 07:20
Thanks. The fansypancy smart charging system won't get confused of the setup and kill the battery faster? Or does it anyway charge one battery at a time?

Hanno
370e prev 320#429
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2016 at 16:12
Just connect both + directly on the batteries and you are done!

Worked in my case for 2 Years until I changed to different charging etc.
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
hanno View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2016 at 11:17
I would want to do this same change of adding the windlass battery to the house bank, but I really haven't been able to understand what cable(s) I need to disable to make sure there's not a double charging load coming to the new house bank. Simple places looks like the main switch(anchor) or the battery isolator? (2008 370e)

Electricity makes me feel stupid,   :D

Hanno.
370e prev 320#429
Stella*Nova View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stella*Nova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2012 at 12:14
Originally posted by Colin Fisher Colin Fisher wrote:

One important point to remember when using the windlass is to ensure that the engine is in the fast idle position (1250RPM) as below this speed the alternator output is not enough and most of the current will be drawn from the battery!

Very good remark,

thats why I'm having the fast idle position in neutral whilst lifting the anchor.
BR Ralf, Ex. 'a mare' H370
Colin Fisher View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 09:43
One important point to remember when using the windlass is to ensure that the engine is in the fast idle position (1250RPM) as below this speed the alternator output is not enough and most of the current will be drawn from the battery!
Mikki View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2012 at 23:27

From shore charger come three relatively thin cables, all go to swithes. Black goes to the engine, brown to service and red one to anchor. From the switches they come to batteries as thicker cables. In my case thin red  anchor cable comes now directly to battery pack where also anchor battery is now hooked up parallel and anchor switch is taken out of service.

Thick red cable under the thin one goes to the anchor.

Br,
Mikki

Edited by Mikki - 01 June 2012 at 23:42
Mikki

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>