myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 355
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boom on 355

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pluggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2012 at 14:32
I have also broken my bom when I was doing an ordinary gybe in 17-18 knop wind.
It was an Z-spar. Does anyone know if Hanse has a plan for solving this problem? Is there anyone which have had the same problem with a bom from Sparcraft?
AngryOuch
Pluggen
Perttu View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2012 at 20:39
Pluggen, that is not nice to hear...

Where does the boom brake? Photo would be fantastic....
Pluggen View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pluggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 14:12
Pluggen
Pluggen View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pluggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 14:14
Pluggen
Pluggen View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pluggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 14:15
Pluggen
handsome View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 15:12
Looking at the picture of Pluggen I noticed that also on his boot the boom is not rigged properly. As you can see the boom has a third eye which is not in use. All the forces are now focussed to the point where the boom snapped. The best solution is to have the last block of the boom in the picture of Pluggen on the cockpit roof and an extra block at the boom (middle eye not used in picture).

The forces for the boom by the last block will be reduced with this setup. Same reasom why you should use a block for the jib to reduce forces on the mast by half.

Mine is holding up since I changed. 
HANDSOME
Brufan View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 15:56
Usally the third point is for the sheet fixed point.
I don't understand why the aft block has a becket.
By the way Selden booms seems much thickier the Z Spar.  It seems also much much heavier
Since delivery I never saw mine bent (even when hard gybe with 20+ knots)
Bruno

hanse 355 - 57

S/Y Spicy Ginger

White hull, 2 cabins, Volvo D1-30, Selden rig, removable mainsheet track system, Simrad (now B&G)-Jefa autopilot.
Perttu View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 17:52
Pluggen, thank you for the photo.

Z-Spar boom is flexible - when tacking hard it was certainly flexing a bit. Now this may not be a problem since flexible structures can be extremely strong as well. I did *intentionally* a very challenging gybe around 24-26 knts true winds with full main just to see nothing would brake when boat was brand new. And nothing happened, boom is not bent etc...

Now with a cockpit traveller boom seems very firm in my case. It is true that sheeting point is not too far from the mast without. On my boat aft block also had a becket, but sheet was fixed to middle eye.

Jøvani View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jøvani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 19:57

Just include a picture of how I have arranged it on my 411. Except for a higher load it is probably identical to the 355 arrangement.  As you see from the picture I have 3 connection points to the boom to distribute the load. Have used it like this now for 3 years and so far no problems. My 411 was originally equipped with a cockpit traveler, for different reasons I like this solution better, but realize the boom load disadvantage.  I calculated the increased load on the boom and selected Harken equipment accordingly in cooperation with Harken Sweden.

regards

Jøvani
Jøvani Hanse 411 #189

Tønsberg

Norway
Pluggen View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pluggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2012 at 20:02
I was just on my way to sail home from Greifswald when the bom cracked, and the rigging was made by Hanse. So dont want to pay for the new bom. I think it should be on the guarantee and on the responsibility of Hanse. The best should be if the exchange it with a Selden or Sparcraft. With a Z-spar it will still be to weak.
Pluggen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>