myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 355
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boom on 355

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superliga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 13:40
About Bavaria keels. Have a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmRIrh2hK5U

And part 2 looks even worse; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU1qTwkDSjo

I would not sail a B if you gave it to me.

Edited by superliga - 01 April 2013 at 13:41
PEARL - S/Y SUPERLIGA - HANSE 470 e - Hull #168 - hanse470.com
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 15:35
The new B boats are stronger but do not compare with the extremely stiff Hanse hulls- at least the previous generation Hanses. If my 630e is the first Hanse with the composite box structure - without a steel frame, the new models (495 and 575) could be even stiffer, but I have not sailed any yet.

Edited by panos - 01 April 2013 at 15:36
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
superliga View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superliga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2013 at 16:07
The 470 is the only hanse with the steelframe (or maybe 540 as well?).

B boats do not have a steelframe but say they have a compositeframe (a composite frame can also be 2 layers of polyesterSmile)

On the Beneteau First boats the compositeframe was polyester in a thick construction. Said to be quite strong. Many 40.7 was raced with a mastjack with no problems. 

The videos of the B keel shows something about the builders seriousness though...

Edited by superliga - 01 April 2013 at 16:19
PEARL - S/Y SUPERLIGA - HANSE 470 e - Hull #168 - hanse470.com
Brufan View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 10:02
I had my H355 delivered with a full Selden rig.  I still don't know why because most of them (before and after) were delivered with Z-Spars.
The Selden boom is very very thick...and heavy.
I don't with the Selden boom could brake easily even during a crash gybe.

Bruno

hanse 355 - 57

S/Y Spicy Ginger

White hull, 2 cabins, Volvo D1-30, Selden rig, removable mainsheet track system, Simrad (now B&G)-Jefa autopilot.
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2013 at 11:27
Hanse has delivered boats for meany years with SPARCRAFT.
End 2009 (after some problems with pumping and broken masts on the 470-540?)they change to Selden.
A little bit more than 1 year later they change back to Z-SPARS for the new models.
By the introduction of the 545 Oct 2009 there was a Sparcraft with 2 spreaders, when the change it early 2010 to Selden 3 spreaders I ordered directly our boat.
The selden rig is IMO much better and heavyer . I am happy with that.Big smile
When I was at the Hanse factory in 2009 for a technical dealertraining I spook in private(french so the Hanse people ware not listening)with the boss of SPARCRAFT and they get a budget from Hanse for each boatmodel for the whole rigging pakket.The rigging company has to go to the limit to fit in this budget (this is sometimes loss of quality), if not they loose the contract.
This way Hanse keep the competition alive, for the same reason they change every few years from Yanmar to Volvo, Northsails to Elvstrom etc. We have North and YanmarBig smile 
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
Connan View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 02:03
We're probably the latest victims of Z-spars. In 20 knots downwind with controlled jibes, we creased ours'. Just had it replaced with a much heavier Z-spar boom from a 415. Luckily the 415 owner opted for in-boom furling, so his new but unused boom was available to be modified.

Apart from that, totally love the boat.

cheers

Connan
Little Honey, formerly named Gabe
April 2011 355
Soma View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2013 at 05:57
We jibed last Saturday in 22-24 knots of breeze and bent our boom also. Did Hanse make good on the repair/ replacement? or did you have to bear the entire cost to replace it?
Can the boom be replaced with a Selden boom? (What modification to the gooseneck must be made, if any?

By the way, earlier, when we were flying our spinnaker, the tack was attached to the bow-roller. The bolts of the bow-roller were pulled thru the deck. Where else can we tack our spinnakers? To that small D-ring at the bow? (But it is so close to the furling gear.)
Soma
Soma View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2013 at 05:59
We jibed last Saturday in 22-24 knots of breeze and bent our boom also. Did Hanse make good on the repair/ replacement? or did you have to bear the entire cost to replace it?
Can the boom be replaced with a Selden boom? (What modification to the gooseneck must be made, if any?

Soma
Connan View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Connan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2013 at 04:48
I guess I could have pushed them but I didn't even try. We are the second owner, even though the boat is only just gone past two years old so didn't think we'd be covered by warranty. We were lucky that we found the unused 415 boom that we modified. I'd be much happier with a Selden boom myself. We have a Selden spinnaker pole and it's incredibly solid. The 415 boom was a Z-spars so it fitted right in. Luckily it's much stronger than the standard 355 boom. Thanks for the tip about the bow-roller, I'll watch out for it.
IMHO they should pay the cost of replacing these booms.
Ian Robinson View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2013 at 17:11

Hi All,

Cry     I am, unfortunately, a new contributor to this thread as on Saturday last I noticed that the Sparcraft boom on my 370 was bent.  This puzzled me until I remembered a clumsy jibe in 25+ knot wind some 3 weeks back.  Even so I was surprised that the boom bent and the content of this thread led me to consider if my F550 boom was actually up to the job. 

As Z Spars and Selden both supply to Hanse I asked their UK agents which boom they have supplied to the 370.  Selden said their B200 and Z Spars use their Z480.   Checking their dimensions I found that Selden and Z Spars are very similar, and that the Sparcraft F550 is much lighter and arguably equivalent to the Selden B171.

Sparcraft F550          98mm x 160mm x 2.6mm wall thickness

Selden B171              94mm x 171mm x 2.3 to 3.2mm wall thickness

Selden B200              117mm x 200mm x 3.1mm wall thickness

Z Spars Z480             125mm x 180mm x 3.0mm wall thickness           

Whilst the above is by no means scientific, if Selden/Z Spars are right then the Sparcraft F550 is not stronger enough.  Indeed, based on the Selden boom selection guide, a case can be made that the B200 and Z480 booms are at their upper limit on a 370 with centre point sheeting.  I am sure that all the manufacturers would refute such.

Sparcraft made it easy for me to go elsewhere as their quote to supply me with a blank 5.3m length of F550 was slightly more than Z Spar UK quoted for a complete Z480 boom set up for 3 reefs and outhaul and adjusted to fit directly to the existing mast gooseneck fitting.  The Selden price was simply eye wateringly.

Regards

Ian

Ostara a 370#88
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>