myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing LED Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2012 at 19:44
Have any of you suffered from interior LED lamps popping - ie failing with a pop - recently ? 

I bought about 6 G4 Warm White 10v-30v type leds from Ultraleds for use in the wall lamps in the saloon and cabins of my 315 - and they worked fine for short periods.  But yesterday when we were overnighting in a marina we left two of them on for a while.   After about half an hour, both of them popped and went out - each within around about a minute of the other.   We were on mains power charging the battery at the time. 

It could be a dubious batch, or spikes in the mains, but before testing (and possibly popping) my  remaining LEDs I'd like to know if any of you have had similar problems.

Thanks,

Graham
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2012 at 19:56
HI Graham,
I have just changed all my internal lights over to LED and found them to be a great power saver, as I presume you have.
I have been on shore power with charger and also on battery power, and all seems to be OK.
Out of interest where did you get your LED's from as I understand that the cheap ones from EBAY often are affected with electric spikes, and also that they do not have the circuitry to suppress interference to VHF. On these I do not know if this is true or just a marketing exercises to make sure you do not shop for cheap LED bulbs.
I bought mine from Ultra LED and so far (touch wood) they seem to have been OK... and were assured that they had the necessary circuity to ensure they could deal with spikes and also to stop the interference to Radio.
I would speak to your supplier and find out what they suggest.
Dave
Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
H8jer View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H8jer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2012 at 22:18
Hi Graham

One of the NTCG4LE have failed.

On shore power the bulb got so hot that the soldering tin melted.
The hot bulb let go off it's feet and fell on the pillow next the head of my kid. :-(
Will make an RMA, later.
Hanse 370#487 30HP 3-cabin
Lucytoo View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2012 at 17:43
Thanks Dave,
Like you, I got mine from Ultraleds and I contacted them at the same time as posting my original query here.  A very quick reply came in as follows:

Hi

We have heard of mains chargers pushing up the voltage considerably. The
bulbs purchased were old style units safe only up to 16v. 16v should be fine
from a battery, but not when charging.

We have also heard of chargers switching to A/C whilst charging which may
cause problems (not sure if this is correct or not- just what we have been
told)

Many of the newer bulbs are now safe up to 30v

Regards

Ultraleds
In light of this (sorry about the pun) we're going to test one further ultraled bulb on normal battery power over an extended period in the next day or so.   If it doesn't go pop I'll conclude that the mains  charger was probably to blame.  (I'll advise when I've done it.)  In any event, let's hope yours are of the 'good up to 30V variety'.   It sounds as if they may be.  )

If this does prove to be the problem, I guess we'll put our ultraleds on - say - the starboard circuit - and normal halogen bulbs on the port side.    That we we can have non popping, lights whether on shore power or not.

Graham

Hi H8jer

Our bulbs simply failed.   Fortunately nothing melted or fell off - but the bulb was pretty hot when I tried to remove it.

Graham

Now folks, I have one more question.  This relates to the roof mounted lamps with integral but tiny and not very reliable switches on the 315.  These tiny switches are awful - I've taken them to bits, cleaned them, scraped away the carbon, you name it.  But now it's time to replace them.  I cannot find the tiny ones anywhere, so my present plan is to fit a small free standing switch beside each lamp. Have any of you found a more elegant solution to this please? 

Graham
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2012 at 20:35

Graham,

I have just check my invoice and they are 8v to 30v LED's so on their premis mine should be OK, thanks for the update....
Dave
Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
Lucytoo View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2012 at 17:42
Hi Dave and H8jer

Just done an extended test on my remaining cabin Ultra LEDs while not charging the batteries. 

They're fine and they don't get very hot any more.   So I guess for the time being I'm on port circuit halogen lamps for while I'm 'in port' and starboard circuit LEDs for anchoring.  I can live with that.

Graham
Muscadet View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muscadet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2012 at 22:39
Hi All

I replaced all our lights with LEDs about three years ago. They were 8v-30v from Ultraleds and despite being used many times on shorepower none of them has failed yet. So I guess so long as you have the 30v voltage range of LED they should be fine. Smile

Kind Regards
Alan

Edited by Muscadet - 31 July 2012 at 22:41
PRCH View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRCH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2012 at 22:37
I have now been away for 4 weeks of summer cruise with the LED's from LEDFOREVER.COM and have not had any problems so far!

As mentioned before, one only have to remember to bend the connecting pins a little in order to obtain sufficient tension in the socket.

Happy sailing.
Regards

Peter

—————————————————

S/Y Schisslaweng, Hanse 312, #212
Lucytoo View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2012 at 10:48
Have now ordered and fitted some of the 'up to 30V' leds from Ultraleds for use on my 'safe in port' circuit.   One word of caution - unlike the older ones, some are bigger than they appear on the site and have to have their pins cut to get them into the ceiling holders on the 315.   The pins are very strong ie not easily cut to size.   However, once in place, they work fine.  

On the other question I raised - how to replace the horrible little ceiling toggle switches on the 315,  I have now found a direct replacement.  These are from Monacor,  are coded MSE 243, have the right toggle housing diameter (0.5mm,) and can be got either from Yourspares through Amazon or direct from Yourspares.   They may be out of stock if ordered directly ( I asked for more than they had - causing them to get the extra in from their supplier, so they do appear to be able to get more if necessary.)

Like the ones they replace, they do look a bit like they came from a Christmas cracker, but they work.

Edited by Lucytoo - 21 August 2012 at 09:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12