myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Watt & Sea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Watt & Sea
    Posted: 06 August 2012 at 08:12

We have been using a Watt & Sea hydro generator for two sailing seasons now, and completed some 7000NM.
That's the perfect gear for providing energy at sail, and gives a reasonable 15 to 20 amps in 12V in average conditions between 6,5 and 8knt boat speed.
We sailed 2400NM between Chile and Eastern Island without starting the engines (main and genet). We used our 60l/h water maker, and all sorts of gadget from the electronic gears, computers, lights, radar, video player and of course the fridge since we reached 30°S of latitude.

UHAMBO 430e#004
White hull-teck deck-Yanmar 55hp-long range cruising
OCC

Our blog: www.uhambo.fr

panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2012 at 10:22
Hi,

Did you install the cruising or racing version?

The 200w average output (15-20A at 12V) at 6-7 knots sounds a little bit low for the cruising version while the racing version has a startup speed of 7-8 knots.

I am seriously considering this product for my boat as solar panels are impractical and the wind generators are noisy, inefficient downwind, dangerous in storms and upwind and look ugly!
I hoped to get 300w output from the watt&sea. 200w would not be enough for us

PS: I looked to the second picture better and it is obvious that you have the cruising version. I do not understand the reason why you do not get the promised output ( 10A at 5 knots and 40A at 8 knots) which would average at more than 20A for the speed of your boat. Is it possible that it would be better to install the unit off-center to avoid the hull and rudder eddies?

Edited by panos - 06 August 2012 at 10:53
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
MarcoC View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 12:37
Alain, is there som ekind of protection ring around the prop for the outboard engine? Looks like a stainles steel ring. Do you have a larger picture?
"Älva"

Hanse 370#671

Stockholm, Sweden

www.wesailhanse.se big wheel, deep draught iron keel, 3 cabins,Yanmar 3JH4E, Sparcraft rig.
Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 16:08
Hi Panos,
Your comment is right, as my post was a bit confused.
In fact YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED UP TO 500watts. 
The numbers I gave come from my usual needs, and not from any proper measurement, which were nearly impossible to make on board: I can only watch the balance between input and output of the batteries, and the regulator of the W & S only gives what you need!
We kept the batteries at 100%, according to the Mastervolt BTM.
Alain
UHAMBO 430e#004
OCC

Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2012 at 16:11
HI Marco,
Yes, it is a stainless steel propeller protector. I have had it made in the South, and I am still using it. I will try to find a better picture.
Alain

PS Did you sort your SD50 issues out?
UHAMBO 430e#004
OCC

Post Reply Post Reply