myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genakker for 311/312/315

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pieterman View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pieterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genakker for 311/312/315
    Posted: 13 August 2018 at 20:29
Pepea,
thank you for the answer. You undoubtly had some time to think about it. SmileSmileSmile
Pieter
Pieterman
Hanse 315 (2007)
BEL7000
Pepea View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 15:55
Hi everybody,
obviously I took the earliest comment in this thread for the most recent. Sorry for answering to question raised six years ago.
Pepea
Hanse 315 "Pepea"
Pepea View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 14:55
Hi Pieterman,
we own a genacker for our 315 (new) for two seasons. Our genacker (Elvstrom) is good in wind angles vom 80 to 160 degrees. You can use it till 180 degrees - if you take away the mainsail. Still faster than main and jib. On average we gain another knot of speed. We fly the genacker in wind speeds up to 15 knots apparent. Thanks to a sock the handling is quite easy; I often do it singlehanded. On average it takes some 10 minutes from decision to enjoyment. So we like to have a minimum of 3 nautical miles on a course favourable for our Genacker.
Best
Pepea
Hanse 315 "Pepea"
Pieterman View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pieterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 14:32
Sailing mostly single handed I use a code 0 sail on a furler system. The furler lines lead to the cockpit. I asked to cut the sail so I can sail close hauled in light wind too. Before I leave my berth, I hoist the code 0 in front of the ST so at sea I don't have to go on the foredeck.
In stronger winds, I use the ST close hauled and the code 0 sailing downwind. I only sail broad reach tacking downwind with a maximum relative wind angle of 120. Advantage of this broad reach course: safe course with no risk of an unexpected jibe.
But I still like the idea of a gennaker on a furler like sailed by Grumpydatagit. Seems perfect to me too!

Pieterman
Hanse 315 (2007)
BEL7000
grumpydatagit View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 12:34
As I sail single-handed I have the same issue. I have tried a snuffer with a crusing chute on a previous boat but found it OK going up but a pain getting it down again on your own.
Once again I find myself single handed on my 315 ( 2007) and in light air the self tacking is less than useful we the the wind is close reached or further back.  I have a spinker that came with the boast but single-handed is a no-go as I don't want to spend all that time on a rolling foredeck on my own so I bought one of these.: http://www.crusadersails.com/magic_furl_gennaker_furling.htm
I have used this with the self- tacker and a Genoa on the normal furler. I can put it up before leaving the dock and take it down when I back at the dock. If you want to bring it dowm before then it will dump itself on the foredeck . Oh! the last bit is,  I had the furling line brought back to the cockpit so I don't have to go forward.
Yellowbird View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yellowbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 07:19
I have a 2007 Hanse 315 which we have started racing this year. The headsail was replaced 6y ago with 95% tri-radial sail with vertical battens which was better than original. We have a Doyle UPS genakker/Code 0 type sail on a Karver KSF top-furler which is amazing at about 45 to 135 degrees AWA under about 15kn when gets overpowered and a large conventional spinnaker for downwind, now with two guys and two sheets (initially one of each - new system better.

In light wind (say 5 to 9kn) upwind we are terrible. Friend with Hanse 301 with narrower shrouds overtakes at 5kn when we are doing 2.5kn! He has laminate headsail, perhaps 130%. We have tried playing with our headsail with conventional sheets on the track (which as everyone says, does not come forward enough) and to sail close we need to sheet inboard of shrouds and as we go around then need to sheet out board - with variable wind direction this is not practical. Nikos - you talk about a light 130% genoa, but how do you sheet it - inboard or outboard and what about higher wind speeds and over-powering? We also have barber haulers/inhaulers but if sheeted outside shrouds and use these close-hauled to get a sheeting angle of 11 degrees as opposed to the 14.5 degrees allowed by the self-tacker, the sheets rub against the shrouds - bad for both the sheet and the shroud! Happy to buy a new racing headsail but not sure what to get and how to rig!
Yellowbird
H8jer View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H8jer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2013 at 22:25
Hello

Elvstrom sails have offers at the moment.
Elvstrøm is probably the world leader in sailmaking with their EPEX series.
I think, however, that their strength is upwind sails.
Downwind sailing is probably not so important what brand you use...

In danish "yardstick" you are not set back using a Code 0. As long as you have a spiniaker.

Mayby a Code 0 will not go as "high" as a genoa but you get the speed. 

Therefore a Code 0 wil be the best for a distance-sail vs. a Up/down regatta.

/H8jer

Edited by H8jer - 01 March 2013 at 23:24
Hanse 370#487 30HP 3-cabin
Swanji View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 08:08
Hi Nikos

Thanks for the feedback.

I suppose the other advantage of a genoa is that it is more easily tacked. I would want to mount it on a separate furler though to avoid having to take the self tacker down.

I have heard others say that having gone for a large genoa that they find it too heavy and would have preferred a code zero. I wonder if weight is the only issue here?

A lot of the manufacturers that are offering non overlapping jibs these days - self tacking or not - are advising new buyers to go for code zeros. With the position of the shrouds, overlapping genoas are often no longer an option although on the H350 our shrouds are in board which I persoanlly find to be an advantage.

Onwards and upwards

Nidri, Levkada, Ionian, Greece

Hanse 350 #7, SY Evolution, standard keel, 3YM20 sail drive, 3 cabins, cherry wood interior, teak decks, feathering prop
nikos View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 07:08
Hi Swanji
The code zero is a spinnaker used at 60-40 degrees AWA in true wind speeds under 10 knots. And it does just that! In my opinion
get a light 130% genoa and you can do everything, easier, less costly and you can go upwind 30 degrees AWA easily.
Hanse 315 #538 Suerte
Swanji View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2013 at 18:37
Hi Nikos

I am interested to understand why you say the code zero is not that versatile.

I have no experience flying one but we are considering one for the future. We use an asymmetrical currently for downwind sailing in light winds and suffer when sailing to windward in light winds with the self tacker.

Onwards and upwards

Nidri, Levkada, Ionian, Greece

Hanse 350 #7, SY Evolution, standard keel, 3YM20 sail drive, 3 cabins, cherry wood interior, teak decks, feathering prop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>