myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jefa Direct Drive Unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanvkrasno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jefa Direct Drive Unit
    Posted: 02 June 2013 at 15:03
re Jefa DD1- I am experiencing a problem with my Jefa DD1 unit on a 2007 Hanse400e. The error message is AC ***current overload and the alarm sounds. An engineer found the motor draws 17 A. which is way too high. I suspect the motor in the unit but has anyone had similar issues and how were they resolved?? Cry
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2013 at 16:38
Five possibilities:

A) burned winding wires in the motor
B) corroded ball bearings increasing the torque needed to turn the shaft
C) burned or faulty clutch increasing the torque
D) mechanical problem outside the motor increasing the load- in this case also the wheel would feel heavier.
E) low supply voltage. In this case the electronics increase the current to keep the torque constant.

Unless case D and E, the easiest and possibly cheapest therapie is to return the motor to Jefa although all industrial electric motor service centers could service it within 3-4 days.

Edited by panos - 02 June 2013 at 16:41
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
skipper View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 12:00
I assume that the primary contact is the retailer of the autopilot solution.

If I were you I should send a question directly to Jefa, they have a fantastic excellent support in all viewpoints: pre-sales, installation and after-sales.

Check out Jefas web page for the latest contact information.
I know that there has been several versions of the DD1 and I think mine is a version 2 / mk II.
I also improved the sealing around the electrical connections based on tips from myHanse.
Cheers,
Skipper
Former owner of Hanse 342 2005 (Sparcraft mast, white hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, short rudder)
graver View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote graver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 13:29
I had problems on every long trip. Complained to Simrad and was told the unit should not be installed under the deck. Funny response since they knew where the unit was being installed. Jeffa tried to help and sent replacement parts but the unit was not up for the job. Many electrical problems and was just not powerful enough for rough seas. I installed an hydraulic unit and it has worked without incident.  If you are going to go offshore I would replace the unit.

Rich
s/v Susie Q
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2013 at 21:57
Originally posted by alanvkrasno alanvkrasno wrote:

re Jefa DD1- I am experiencing a problem with my Jefa DD1 unit on a 2007 Hanse400e. The error message is AC ***current overload and the alarm sounds. An engineer found the motor draws 17 A. which is way too high. I suspect the motor in the unit but has anyone had similar issues and how were they resolved?? Cry

I believe I've had the very same problem for the last 3 years. The autopilot will run for 3-20 minutes before the current overload alarm goes off and it releases the steering. Definitely something wrong with the drive unit but I just haven't had the time, energy and motivation to remove the unit and spend a silly amount of money to get it fixed.

Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
gertha View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2013 at 22:32
Panos, as always , has it in a nut shell, however he has brushed over in option "E" and missed the obvious ; a bad connection giving high resistance . I would sugest check all connections on feed to motor for corrosion , most likley problem on a 6 year old boat.
Simon
Swanned off
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 00:01
Originally posted by gertha gertha wrote:

Panos, as always , has it in a nut shell, however he has brushed over in option "E" and missed the obvious ; a bad connection giving high resistance . I would sugest check all connections on feed to motor for corrosion , most likley problem on a 6 year old boat.
Simon

Most probably you are right. But I did not "brush" over under voltage possibility. On the contrary: possibilities D and E can and should be examined by the owner before starting to disassemble the drive or the actuator. If both D and E are excluded then I proposed to have the actuator examined by Jefa.

By the way I believe that the electromechanical actuators (like Jefa's) are a better solution for offshore sailing than hydraulic ones since they consume less than half the power. My real love are the pure mechanical servo self steering units -as you might have guessed.
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
Nigel Fontaine View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Fontaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 03:26
Has anyone had problems with water getting into the jeffa motor housing unit and causing the motor to rust?  If so what solutions did you apply? 

Edited by Nigel Fontaine - 05 June 2013 at 03:28
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 07:34
There was a series of DD1 drives that had some problems with the sealing. Mine went back to JEFA and came back repaired under warranty. No issues since then. The drive is made to work even under water however I wouldn't hold the water hose directly on the drive.

Try to get a fix from JEFA they know theire problem. You only need to be some weeks without a drive.

BR Thomas
Brufan View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 08:26
As far as I know DD1 mark 1 was only water resistant.
Issue came from an air breather that allow air to expand in casing when motor heats.
When drive cooled down air & damp (if not water) are suck through this breather and never leave the casing once trapped in.
Then dammages occured.
DD1 MK1 was design to be fitted iun a quite dry place wich is not the case on Hanses.

As far as i know this issue was solved with DD1 MK2 (since 2010 ?)
Bruno

hanse 355 - 57

S/Y Spicy Ginger

White hull, 2 cabins, Volvo D1-30, Selden rig, removable mainsheet track system, Simrad (now B&G)-Jefa autopilot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>