myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jefa Direct Drive Unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2013 at 14:39

Agree with you panos.

Normally I steer by hand when it is tough. It is only when the wind is very light I have ever used the autopilot for a long time. Then the 1.4 ampere for the clutch is quite a lot. This pilot then uses four times as much power as my old simple wheel-pilot.

If it is tough and the autopilot draw over 10 ampere, you cannot use the autopilot for a long time without the motor.

I happen to be that sailor that hates to run for shore power all the time. Embarrassed

Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
alanvkrasno View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanvkrasno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2013 at 16:45
Thanks for all the replies. All very helpful.  I have a firm removing the DD1 and sending it to Jefa. They quote €200-500 for an overhaul and replacement parts. A fraction of a new model. Sadly I had only recently done an auto tuning reset on the Simrad Computer and the Auto was going like a dream even in choppy seas and cross swell. The only problem is if the boat is over canvassed and would be rounding up with or without the Auto engaged.
 Jefa do seem to be nice to deal with , it just remains to be seen what their 'turn-around' time is at the factory. Still its fun to hand steer. Just done 300 nM from Hamble to The Scillies and now to The Channel Isles. Who needs an auto!!Smile
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanvkrasno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 08:24
Follow up on the DD1 drive. The unit has come back from Jefa, cost was 658 Euros incl return carriage and they fitted a new motor. Still cheaper than a new one.

Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanvkrasno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 21:55
Fitted the DD1 today. Not difficult and I see Jefa advise and supply a 10 A protective fuse. Something Hanse/Jefa should have supplied originally I reckon.
CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2013 at 23:51
Glad you are pleased with Jeffa service. Everyone seems to say the same. Where is the 10amp fuse located?

Charles
'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanvkrasno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2013 at 22:08
Yes the 10A fuse was supplied by Jefa and the unit has long enough wires to allow it to be placed outside the sub floor cavity behind the wheel binnacle. Through the waterproof gland.

CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2013 at 00:05
Yes that is where mine is installed by the factory.

Charles
'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
Sianthis View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sianthis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2013 at 11:24
In the drive is another fuse.
André
S/Y Sianthis
Hanse 375 (depth 1.95, three cabins, teakdek, main sheet traveller in cockpit)
MikeMeer View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 18:03
Upgrading to a hydraulic ram would save you allot of headaches and save power.

Mike-
mike@southboundcruising.com
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2013 at 15:34

My autopilot stopped working last weekend. No errors. No movement. It moved the wheel a couple of times when I tried again.

I removed the Jefa DD1 drive and it would not rotate when I connected it to 12V. Opened it from bottom side, took out the motor  (carefull with the wires to the clutch) and opened this too. There I found that one motor brush was stuck. The spring had started to rust. Tried to clean everything, sprayed with WD40 and assembled all again. This will probably last for some time. But I should get a new motor.

There was no water or anything. Probably the rust was just the humidity from the air inside. The motor was "made in china".

Anyone know where to get brushes and springs?

Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>