myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jefa Direct Drive Unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaukaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 05:41
In the last minute I decided to open the unit at home, and order the required spares from Jefa. This reduced my bills down to approximately €350: New clutch set and pancake motor.

Easy job to replace these, and instructions were included/available from the Internet anyways.

The unit is definitely not designed to be located in the cockpit-drain. There are too many possible entries for water and humidity. I sealed all the sandwich-layers with grease (acidfree vaseline) + used a sealant on between the two lower parts. The whole unit has then been covered with plastidip (1 layer done, planning to do 3) + I will add some grease on the simmering around the output-shaft.

I've got a 440nm trip across the North Sea coming up next week; so let's see how the unit will perform. And also I'm curious to see for how long this thing will last until the next repair is due...

Edited by shaukaas - 19 May 2016 at 05:42
S/Y Nadun - Hanse 320#171

LG3600 - NOR13510

Brufan View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2016 at 17:26
Sorry to say that I have the same issue again.
Does anyone knows how to solve this problem ?  Does anyone managed to seal the drive or the bay where it lays ?
Thanks

Bruno

hanse 355 - 57

S/Y Spicy Ginger

White hull, 2 cabins, Volvo D1-30, Selden rig, removable mainsheet track system, Simrad (now B&G)-Jefa autopilot.
charentebob View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charentebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2016 at 19:59
I had one of these units fail on my 370 in 2014. I sent it to Jefa for repair & although not guaranteed for life, they said if sealed properly it should be OK for a very long time. They made a modification to the way the wires entered the unit as this was the source of the water ingress. It was not sealed as shaukass has done, although this may be a good thing to do.
Heikki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2016 at 14:14
Sorry, but rate compass in 400e still not found. Could you please give some more hints.

Heikki
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2016 at 17:05
Heikki
Not sure where you've looked but on my 2007 it can be found in the port side cabinet in the forward berth (V-berth). I believe I've also heard of them being in the cabinet of the port side aft quarter berth.

Steve
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
alidal View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alidal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2016 at 19:18
In my 2010 H400 it is under the cabinet in port side aft cabin.. 

Edited by alidal - 18 November 2016 at 19:26
Hanse 400#655
Heikki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 14:29
Rate compass finally found. It was in the forward cabin port side hanging locker as Steve said half a year ago. I just didn't find it as it is on the upper part of the locker. The instructions say it should be installed close to the water line, so I was looking down!

Anyway, it is type RFC35 and my problem is the almost constant turning of wheel about 5 - 10 cm back and forth when the autopilot is on. This is certainly not good for autopilot drive motor and it also consumes amps. I have tried the manual parameter adjust without succes. I haven't performed the dockside settings and the sea trial. I suppose, I should do this first as there was nothing wrong with the compass installation (not too close to magnetic objects).

Heikki
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 09:42
Seems like you have the problem I had. Probably only the gain is too high.
When I did the dockside and sea trial the autopilot was mad. I just lowered the gain setting and it has been fine since.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
Heikki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 16:19
Hi Sea-U,

Could you please explain how you lowered the gain setting. In my manual "gain" is only mentioned under Depth Contour and Depth gain. "Use the gain control to have a firm or smooth response to the variation in depth".

Heikki
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 10:02
I cannot remember what it says on the autopilot.
There are two settings: gain and response. I think the "response" word is used, may be another word for gain.
The gain setting will influence how much rudder is given to correct a cource. If too much, you get this behaviour. The boat turns too much and it has to turn the rudder the other way ... and again it does this too much ... and so on.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>