myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new boat problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2013 at 08:30
hi joyallin,

Suggest the following.

1st, decide on the boat or even a shortlist.

Then sit with the dealer(s) and read all you can about the dealer's performance. 

Your experience will be the sum of the boat and the way you are treated and handled during build and after delivery, so you need to be sure of who you are buying from.

I had a shortlist of 4 boats, and contacted 4 companies representing the 4 boats and asked them for their dealer contacts (all 38 footish, twin wheels, mainsheet back to helm, my brief was fast cruiser for 2 that I can race with some mates in club and interclub racing).  Two dealers engaged properly, which surprised me given the amount of money I was about to spend in the middle of a recession, and I bought the boat from the dealer I preferred.

I had many questions and requirements all of which were handled quickly.  Then I went to the factory and looked over the boat before handover.  I joined the delivery crew so i have 5 days to prepare a snag list (and to learn the boat), and the dealer worked through the snag list for me without issue, so its a bit like the recommendation from tobo.

when i campare this to some of the stories about problems i think i did the right thing.  It took more time and cost a bit more.  I'm sure there are other boats that would fulfill my basic needs, but I have one that I am very happy with, that I understand very well and have had all my issues fixed.

If you are looking at the 575 (they look great, there were a couple being commissioned in the yard in Germany when i got mine - made the 385 look very small) you are investing a lot more money than me so good luck with your decision.
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Oumou View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oumou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 19:33
Not at all any inside knowledge, but why did they buy cheap silicones to glue windows leaking After some months? My boat (danish built) has glued windows since 1989 and they are still tight. Why do they offer T-keels for a higher price Even though they are cheaper because these keels Need less lead?
Why do they use cheap Mastfootblocks, the cheapest on the Market, why do they buy the cheapest Sails (North Sails Turkey). Why cheapest Deck Hardware ?
Why do they produce the GRP Parts (Hulls, Decks, etc.) in (record attempting) Speed at TTS near Goleniow/Poland?

Other Yards glue their teakdecks all around with Sikaflex - Hanse does not - why? - because it costs extra money and they hope, that After the 2 Years Warranty Most of the Decks are still o.k. - but they are not, especially in northern areas and the Mediterranian.

There might be more examples to be mentioned:

The R&D Dept. might do their best, but how can it happen, that water is in the bilge because the structures are open sideways. This Water (especially on the smaller boats) will never ever leave the boat and will eventually stink like dead fish.
Why are those areas in the boats, that are not visible during boat Shows are not covered with Topcoat?

...just a Fee Questions...

hmtkpt View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmtkpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2014 at 20:29
Hi
Any 575 which has some problem with the cheap plastic diesel oil tanks and their gauges with electronic sensors?
Also fridge locks specially on sailing?
Lazy jack system,etc :)
with small cleats at fore and aft
F..king elc system,specially fuses under port cabin bed
Aircompressor corrosion,repairment every month
Squeeze problem for jib furl system with 2 blocks under deck,inside chain locker

Thanks
anil1227 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anil1227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2014 at 16:15
Hi Marco,

Sorry to hear about all the problems you have stated about your boat. I am an owner of the new 575 and she currently is docked at Southern part of Turkey (Gocek). You have stated that you experience fuel overheating. I am very curious to know as to how you have managed to measure the temperature of the fuel.

thanks 

regards

Anil 
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2014 at 13:02
Hi Anil,

there is an alarm on the Volvo control panel who alerts you in case of fuel overheating.

After the alarm I manually checked the fuel tank and found it very hot.

regards, marco
anil1227 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anil1227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2014 at 16:38
Hi Marco,

As far as I know there can be two reasons for this, one being the fuel pre-heating system (i m not sure we have it on the boat better to double check) and two being the fuel filter (if the pressure is set on very high levels can cause heating in fuel and loss in engine power). Other than that i dont see any reason for the fuel tank to heat up from an outside exposure to the heat source since tanks are burried under the living area quite far apart from any heat generating device.

please keep us posted

regards

Anil
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2014 at 23:37
there is a pipe for fuel suction from the tank to the motor and a smaller one for return fuel from motor to the tank.
this last pipe was very hot and, after some time, all the fuel in the tank became hot.

a fuel cooling system has been installed and is working fine, the back pipe is now cold.

after this problems last september the common rail fuel pump broken and the motor could not function anymore.

in, just, one month it was repaired...

after this last happening I thought that may be the fuel overheating was caused by the defective common rail pump
but I think I will never know if this thinking is right..

a new problem occurred today : I got an alarm of "water in the fuel"
I checked several times both pre filter and water separator on the engine but, apparently, there wasn't any water.
Volvo suggested to disconnect the alarm cable from the pre-filter : after this step the alarm disappeared.
so it seems the cause is a defective water sensor on fuel pre-filter !

regards, marco
tobo2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 11:02
I totally agree with Yeoman: The Hanse After Sales Service so far reacted always fast and competent, because I had to go around my (Croatian) dealer, as he was not capable to solve my problems. No wonder he isn't a Hanse dealer anymore. But: I told Hanse since years that they should do continuous training to the dealers and do a careful selection before they give them the dealership. They can do so much harm to the brand!
kweetje View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kweetje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 16:28
Dealers are selected function of their potential in selling boats...
This is a pure economic law
First 4000 miles, no substantial problems
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 20:59
IMHO the common rail technology is not fit for a boat. The system has a high pressure pump which compresses all the fuel to the desired high pressure and feeds it to all cylinder injectors. The injectors are electronically controlled and a valve opens at the specified microsecond for an exactly determined time period. All injectors are connected to the same high pressure line (thus the name common rail). At one end of the pipe is the pressure controlling bleeding valve. All the not used fuel (about 4 times more than the used quantity) passes through that valve and returns to the tank. The process heats the fuel and is returned hot to the tank.
What I don't like in the system is that it is complicated and works with electricity. The old fashioned Bosch piston pump didn't need any electric power and could be serviced everywhere in the world. I would never accept a common rail neither a turbo boosted engine in a boat! They are more sensitive than the good old unstoppable diesel engine .
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>