myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 505/508
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holding tank capacity Hanse 505

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kemalgunduz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holding tank capacity Hanse 505
    Posted: 18 October 2013 at 14:18
Hello to everyboday,

As a new member of this forum I have read very useful information during the last two weeks.
I do not have a boat at the moment but I seriously thinking to purchase a 505.  I am living in Turkey and during the recent boat show I had the possibility to see her.

In my country the authorities have put a new regulation regarding waste discharge. In any case you are not allowed to discharge the holding tanks overboard. You have to either return to marina or ask for a waste collecting boat and have to deck pump our the wastes. Discharging overboard is subject to quite high penalties and the authorities can easily find out if you do so ( by an electronic card which having onboard is mandatory)

As a matter of fact, the capacities of the holding tanks become very critical and as far as I know the capacity is around 35 liters for each tank.

During the boat show I have checked the heads and it seems to see and to check the waste tanks is quite difficult.

My question is if anyone knows how to increase the capacities, and also if it was possible from the design point of view.

May be the right person to answer shall be vzr1800 as I suppose that he/she is a Hanse employee.

Best regards
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2013 at 15:56
Same for me in Switzerland. You are right the capacity of the holding tanks installed by Hanse is ridiculous. They are only 32 ltr, but the real capacity is just below 30 ltrs. Furthermore against all holding tank regulations no sensor indicating a full tank is installed.
If it is full it will overflow through the vent, if you get caught in Turkey this will cost you a fortune.

I went for a separate grey water tank (134 ltrs ) and I must confess that this was a mistake. I should have gone for a stainless steel tank for grey and black water installed in the cockpit locker. I had a look and there would be enough space to fit a bigger tank ( maybe 50 - 60 lts in the cavity behind the toilet (s). The problem is that you will not be able to fit it in, due to the small opening.

Frank
kweetje View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kweetje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2013 at 19:00
in Belgium & Holland we have similar regulations...
Here these regulations seem impossible to inforce, most marinas have pump installations... defective or not working since ? Maybe more than 5 years. The choice is obvious (and normal) i guess...
First 4000 miles, no substantial problems
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2013 at 23:28
The regulations in Australia change from state to state but in Queensland sense has prevailed with "no discharge" zones like rivers, harbours, marinas and within one NM of reef areas or the coast. Commercial vessels (charter operations) need to have holding tanks and when discharging outside the no discharge areas they need to "treat" the discharge. The minimum treatment is only maceration so the discharge quickly visually disappears. If a vessel has a full sullage treatment plant onboard then they can discharge at the reef areas but still not in rivers, harbours or marinas. All recently built marinas need to offer a pump out sullage facility but they are very rarely used.Most boat owners say that if the government makes the fish, whales, dolphins and seals stop pooping in the sea then we will stop as well but until then we see only minimal impact from a small vessel discharging a relatively small amount of sullage into an open sea environment. After all if you are a sea for a week what choice do you have?     
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
alain View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2014 at 23:41

I have made the same experience -- the black water tanks are too small sailing along the turkish coast. I have the boat in Marmaris during the winter and the tanks have now been replaced by custom made ones with double capacity. I also tried to find a valuable solution to measure the level in them - but I have not found any system to work acceptable so far.

If you are interested I can indicate you the company which made the tanks for me.

alain
H445 #26
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2014 at 08:07
Grüezi Alain,

I had the same problem and finally found a system which can be retrofitted even to the factory installed tanks without Drilling holes ore removing the tank in order to install it.
It does not have any mechanical parts, so it should be really reliable.

I will install it in a couple of weeks ( today its snowing ) and report here in the Forum.

Frank
Frank
alain View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2014 at 15:30
Grüezi Frank
Many thanks for your input -- I am keen to read about your experience with the Gobius sensors. (Can they still mesure once the tank is inside dirty and lime has attached to the walls?)
'Fendant'  -- are you a wine maker from Wallis :-) ? Where do you have your boat?

alain
H445 #26
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2014 at 21:13
Salut Alain,

contrary to mechanical floating sensors ultrasonic sensors should do the job with a significantly improved reliability. Theoretically a thin layer forming at the tank walls should not influence the measuring process.

I would have gone for the Philippi ultrasonic sensor, which requires a 52 mm hole for the SAE flange in the top of the tank.This was not possible for 3 reasons:
1) You don't have access into the tank, the Hanse tank stupdidly does ot have a Service opening.
2) You have to disconnect the tank, so the sh..t will spill on the washroom floor
3) You have to remove the tank, which is close to impossible with the fixed metal bracket

Another reason is that I still hope to have  a larger plastic tank fabricated at a later stage, so I could reuse the sensors.

best regards from the lake of Constance
Frank
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2014 at 22:42

We have had a Gobius sensor system fitted to a large aluminium black& grey water tank and it has worked well for about 3 years since fitting. The system uses three sensors which are glued to the outside of the tank and "see through" the tanks wall. The system works on tanks made of aluminium, steel , stainless steel, fibreglass and plastic. Because there is only three sensors the readings are given as below qtr, between qtr and half, between half and three qtrs and lastly full. The highest sensor can be fitted slightly lower than the top of the tank so you have some head space so "full" is not over flowing. Our system did not have a audible alarm so you had to look at units light display to check the level. I guess a high level audible alarm could be fitted.

The only problem we experienced was the controller unit which displays the level lights to show the liquid height would get confused when it was the power was disrupted. The system then had to be repowered and the correct code used to tell the system what the tank was made of before it would show the correct indication lights.

We had ultrasonic sensors for our fuel and water tanks which were fitted when the boat was built. This system was programmable to allow for irregular shaped tanks and had variable alarms for high or low level and was accurate and reliable. The readouts showed the level in litres.

The price of the ultrasonic system was in the several $1000's each whilst the Gobius cost about $400. The Gobius unit was easy to fit.       

Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2014 at 23:25
Thanks very  much for the info Wayne.
I am planning to fit an additional  analogue Display to the conrtoller, the other option would be to leave the controller permanently powered up.

Edited by Fendant - 23 March 2014 at 23:51
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>