myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modifications for ocean passage sailing (1)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kytho View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Kytho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modifications for ocean passage sailing (1)
    Posted: 21 April 2014 at 17:17
This winter I put some efforts into upgrading my Hanse 470e for longer distances. Below and in the next topic I describe some of them (not in order of importance) and provide photographs when possible.

HANDHOLDS
I started with what many of you may have done already early on: installing handholds for the helmsman. Measurements and sketches led to the following construction plan.

In winter we could finally mount them:

There are holders for water bottles built into them (dehydration being a serious issue on long passages). The handholds are bolted into the sidewalls of the cockpit benches from inside. So part of the inner lining had to be cut to drill the holes and insert the screws; these holes were subsequently covered with a mirror.

Handrails were also designed and mounted inside the boat. First of all two long handrails on the ceiling on both sides for walking:

Each of these was accompanied by a smaller bar further to the side, allowing to hang up nets on the ceiling for fruits and vegetables.

In the galley we installed a strong grab pole on the wall towards the aft cabin and one to protect the stove, to which we can belt ourselves when cooking:

STORAGE
I think that one of the biggest challenges for an ocean crossing will be the problem of where to put all the extra stuff (food, tons of replacement parts, sails, water, etc.). There are so few cupboards and lockers!  One solution to this problem is to sacrifice the shower in the main bathroom; we removed it and built boards where we can put boxes with food:

The other solution was to install bars along the double bed in the front cabin. These will allow to store large boxes with gear on the bed (which we can anyway not use in rough sea); they will not slide down when the boat heels. The two bars can be removed for normal cruising:

Leesails: I attached Tenax buttons on the cabin table and on the seat underneath, so that a leesail can be fastened for a person to sleep there.

The two bars bisecting the double bed in the front cabin can also serve as lee-sail:

RIGGING
Inner forestay and running backstays: We installed an extra forestay that can be used at two positions, but can also be removed (i.e. attached on the side, when the self tacking jib is in use).

The attachments on the deck were reinforced with steel backings: one of the Wichard double padeyes is mounted close to the bow (with an under-deck backing plate and an extension to the steel plate on the bow)...

... and another is installed just in front of the large hatch (also with a backing plate and an under-deck extension onto the bulkhead separating the anchor-locker and the fore toilet):

The length of the forestay is trimmed to the aft position (where it serves e.g. for a storm sail) and can be extended with an 0.5m extension for fixation at the fore position (for a working jib that can be projected out to weather with a pole). Running backstays were also mounted and can be attached on the coaming via padeyes that have been reinforced from under deck with steel plates:

Heavy weather: an extreme 3rd reef was inserted into the main sail. It will be a two line reef: the aft line is preinstalled in the boom (at the expense of the topping lift, which is now operated at the mast; it will be attached to the 3rd reef cringle with an Antal snap hook, and can then be taken in with the winch from the cockpit. An 0.5m strap will connect the luff cringle with a Wichard eye on the mast.

Other issues (energy, deckgear and water) will be dealt with in the next "topic".

davidefoce View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidefoce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 17:38
You are crazy , but i ve appreciate your job, compliments!!!
The important is: Floating everytime
plattgatt View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plattgatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2014 at 17:54
Perfekt!!
Perfect, in particular the 3/4 Reff, already tested?
370#641 "aqua d`or"
samba View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2014 at 08:11
Hello,

Thanks for sharing all your hard work.

What is your (planned) sail plan?

Cheers,

Michiel
Samba - Hanse 411 - Bruinisse
superliga View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superliga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2014 at 14:14
Very nice work and preparation.

I don't think your saloon table will be up to the job of holding a sleeping grown man on a port tack. 

Did you crawl your mast and inspect for cracks / stress signs?
PEARL - S/Y SUPERLIGA - HANSE 470 e - Hull #168 - hanse470.com
NIRVANA III View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIRVANA III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2014 at 11:38
Clap
Hello from Spain
Good work Kytho
Very good ideas

Now I am preparing the boat to cross the Atlantic and I will have to go well

Thank you very much

Edited by NIRVANA III - 08 December 2014 at 11:40
NIRVANA III View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIRVANA III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2014 at 12:07
Hi Kytho

Good afternoon

Any questions? that halyard raise the sails. (jib and storm jib)

Thank you

sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2015 at 16:02
Hi Nirvana,
why you are using two Position for the inner forestay. Normally, you are running the with the Selftacker or an 105% Genua on the original forestay. The inner forestay is for a Jib 3 or a Stromsail. 

Can you explain me the reason why, please.

best regards

Bjoern

sailingmaster View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailingmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2016 at 17:00
I'm sorry to ask, but what is this rust on the top? From where this rust coming? Hanse just put iron bolts? I would afraid to go on this boat around the world.
tDot View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tDot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2017 at 06:00
Hello Kytho,

Thank you for your very informative posts! It's great to see what other people are doing.  

I've purchased a 505, and I'm considering the pros/cons of some modifications similar to yours.  Have you had a chance to use your 3rd reef in the main sail?  Inner Forestay and storm sail?   How well was the boat balanced with this setup?  Was there anything that you did that you wouldn't do again?  What were the items that you were happiest with?

How have you found the solbian panels?  Are they overly affected by shading in the configuration that you chose?

Thanks
Todd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>