myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 355
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fresh Water in the Bilge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hdajani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh Water in the Bilge
    Posted: 10 October 2014 at 04:07
Since the boat was delivered a few years back, every now and then, I find water in the bilge. Initially, I was not sure where this water was coming from and I thought it was rain water that came through the hatch. Then I thought it was shower water that came as a result of somebody using the shower without the pump being on. etc.

Well, the water is for sure fresh water and not sea water, so this leaves only three possibilities: 1) Rain, 2) Tap from the tank, and 3) When washing the boat.

Since water travels through the different compartments through the holes and above the low level stringers. It was also interesting that when putting a finger inside the stringers, they are hallow and there was water inside them that moves to different areas when the boat moves. I had to put a hose and pump water from inside the holes to suck all the water out.

Some people say that it is normal for rain water to come down the mast and then end up in the bilge, then it accumulates over time and moves around. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,
Sam
Nilandhoo View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilandhoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2014 at 07:58
Hi Sam,

We have a 325 which was delivered in 2012 and we had a problem with a fresh water leak.  We traced it to the inspection hatch in the top of the fresh water tank.  The hatch cover had been cross threaded and when we filled up the fresh water tank it leaked.  It's a pain to get at because it's under the fwd bunk and on first inspection it looked fine.  Worth a look?

Cheers
Paul
Hanse 325 'One Life'
franko View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2014 at 08:53
Sam,

I presume that your boat has a deck-stepped mast so it would be a disaster if water could enter boat through the tabernacle (mast mounting thingy).

On my boat when I have had water in the bilge it has always been due to a leaky Fresh Water hose. Do you hear your pump starting and stopping occasionally when all taps are closed? (Turn down the stereo)

Have a look around the water heater as well.

Cheers

F.
lukemi View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2014 at 13:33
Sam,

I had a problem with rain water coming in a very small hole in the stern of my boat. I had an antenna there at on time which had been removed. I thought the holes were sealed with silicon but obviously not well enough. After emptying 30 gallons of water I finally discovered this. I also drained the sub compartments with a hose and small pump.  I resealed and my bulge is now COMPLETLY dry. I do not believe it is possible to have a leak around the mast. There could be water where the cables ingress into the boat if this is not sealed correctly. If you suspect a fresh water leak, add some red food coloring to the tank. This will not harm the water. If the resultant bulge color has a shade of food coloring then your leak is somewhere is the water system.

Mike
Stella Maris 370e#166

panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2014 at 14:24
In my boat, after four years of ownership, I found two pipes that one end was not connected to anything. After thorough investigation which involved removing a lot of ceiling panels it turned out that they were the spray hood well drain hoses! Each time it rained all the water ended up in the bilges. A lot of water! According to plumbing plans they should have been connected to a thrugh hull fitting but Hanse workers just forgot to connect them.   

Edited by panos - 10 October 2014 at 14:25
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
tony1 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2014 at 20:40
That rings a bell, but it was a well known German car, not boat! Whenever it rained, the whole interior filled up woth water. Turned out the drain hoses from the sunroof hadn't been connected. Thank goodness my 315 is totally dry - it took Mercdes months and almost complete dismantling of the car before they discovred it!
Kittiwake 315-461 2006 Grey Hull   Swing Mooring on Beaulieu River
Lippe View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2014 at 18:05
Originally posted by panos panos wrote:

In my boat, after four years of ownership, I found two pipes that one end was not connected to anything. After thorough investigation which involved removing a lot of ceiling panels it turned out that they were the spray hood well drain hoses! Each time it rained all the water ended up in the bilges. A lot of water! According to plumbing plans they should have been connected to a thrugh hull fitting but Hanse workers just forgot to connect them.   

Hi Panos,
In my Hanse 400 rainwater flows down to cocpit from each side of companionway via those grooves there and it comes from roof font of the spryhood area. It is small amount of water but annoying when the cocpit floor side is wet always when rains even if cocpit tent is on. I wonder if I miss some pipes you are writing about.
BR
Kari
Perttu View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2014 at 18:25
Originally posted by Hdajani Hdajani wrote:

Since the boat was delivered a few years back, every now and then, I find water in the bilge. Initially, I was not sure where this water was coming from and I thought it was rain water that came through the hatch. Then I thought it was shower water that came as a result of somebody using the shower without the pump being on. etc.

Well, the water is for sure fresh water and not sea water, so this leaves only three possibilities: 1) Rain, 2) Tap from the tank, and 3) When washing the boat.

Since water travels through the different compartments through the holes and above the low level stringers. It was also interesting that when putting a finger inside the stringers, they are hallow and there was water inside them that moves to different areas when the boat moves. I had to put a hose and pump water from inside the holes to suck all the water out.

Some people say that it is normal for rain water to come down the mast and then end up in the bilge, then it accumulates over time and moves around. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,
Sam

My 355#004 is completely dry. Only known leak is water heater but that results less than 1 litre during 6 months season. And that leak is contained by the structure where heater is so leaked water can not enter the bilge.

I have had a leak from the anchor locker, that stays in front compartment and ends not in the bilge. Then aft shower was leaking, that goes streight into bilge. Worrying desing is also shower in the heads. Should there be a leak that is very difficult to  detect and fix. 

I would guess water is not coming outside but somewhere within the fresh water system. Does your fresh water pump run occasiaonally without tab been used? Also something to check is the connection between the water pump and the fresh water tank - leak there would end directly into the bilge.

- Perttu

Edited by Perttu - 11 October 2014 at 18:53
Check my sailing videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/l11483?feature=results_main
Hdajani View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hdajani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2014 at 22:10
This is why I ruled out the fresh water tank, but the inspection hatch will be interesting to check. This will be suspect 1. I will go there today and try over filling the tank now that the bilge is completely dry and see what happens.

I cannot see anywhere how rain water can have drains or pipes. This will be interesting to check if I know where to look. I thought rain water just travels down and drains from the sides and the stern. Any guidance there?

From the posts, I understand that water should not come down the mast. So, if this is ruled out as something that should happen, then this becomes a possible fault that will ask the Hanse people to inspect on the next visit in 3 months.

I cannot find any holes in the boat (luckily...) and never installed any antennas or anything. Even the ladder holes are sealed from the bottom.

The hole reason I suspected rain water is because the water in the bilge was less salty that fresh water  and yes, I had to taste it to check if it was seawater.

I am going to fill the fresh water tank and let it overflow. If nothing happens, I am going to hose the boat and give it a nice wash and see if anything comes down. In the mean time, if anyone know where to look for the drain hoses or any other clues, please let me know.

Many thanks,
Sam

Hdajani View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hdajani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2014 at 22:12
Water pump doesn't turn on even if left for 3 days. Tank level doesn't go down.

Thanks,
Sam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>