myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bottom frame reinforcement on my Hanse 342

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2015 at 13:04

Ole, 

I would be interested to know at what speed you ran aground and what kind of rock you hit. As far as I know, in your waters you will mostly find mud on the bottom. Correct me if I am wrong. 

When I had my grounding I hit a hard rock and nothing else. Ouch

Johan

kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2015 at 14:14
Hi Johan

The speed was a little under 4,5 knots.

We had just started the engine after dropping the main and furling the jib. There was very little wind and only small waves. Anyway, suddenly we ran into a VERY big stone with a very loud BANG! I was very surprised. At first, I thought we had hit a floating object such a submerged container or something like that. But, as my daughter soon discovered it was a stone "as big as our cockpit"!

This was quite a surprise, as you are right that the bottom in "the Øresund" is mostly mud or sand. Stones of that size are normally marked on the map with a cross and sometimes even named. This was not. The Echo sounder said about 4 meters depth (or almost 12 feet) and we had sailed very near by numerous times before. Still, there is a general warning in the map and we were in the periphery of that area.

In the future I will keep a very large distance to that area, I promise!

Ole
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Lynetten, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hanse 342 (grey hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, Jefa rudder - RUD34)
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2015 at 22:37
Ole,

From your pictures I was assuming that you ran aground at almost the same speed that I did. I imagine that the damages would have been considerably bigger at a higher speed.

Just because I have been around your area and am a bit curious, would you mind telling me (us) in more detail where this happened? Not because I am worried to make the same mistake as I now avoid any depths below 10 metres.

Johan
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2015 at 22:45
Originally posted by kirkelund kirkelund wrote:

Anyway, suddenly we ran into a VERY big stone with a very loud BANG!

Or was it the noise that made me make that assumption? I remember the "BANG!"

Johan
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2015 at 09:05
Hi Johan

Well, it all happened SE of "Aflandshage" on the Island Amager (Copenhagen). I didn't catch the exact position, but I know the sounder said 3,7 meters depth and my sounder is quite accurate. It is always set to measure the depth as accurately as possible i.e. no compensation for my own draft. I think this is important as the sounder is also used to determine your position.

Anyway I have just checked my chart plotter and I did manage to set a waypoint nearby at the approximate position: 55' 32'.566 N / 12' 36.872 E, which is just inside the 4 meter curve.

We had left our home port in Ishøj heading towards the harbour "Svanemøllen" in the Northern part of the Copenhagen harbour area to take part in the annual meeting of the Danish Hanse Club. As there were no water ingress (and it was getting late) we passed near by the boat yard in Dragør and proceeded to Svanemøllen. I figured that some of the other Hanse sailors would stand by in there ready to comfort meWink And they didHug

The next day we called Dragør boat yard and decided to sail down there to get Amani on the dry for inspection. The inspection made it clear that we would have to leave the boat in Dragør for quite a while. And the Summer hadn't even begun yetCry Just to add to our misery, the Summer of 2014 turned out to be one of the best ever recorded in DenmarkCry

So the next time you sail through the Öresund stay away from that area (at least well outside of the 6 meter curve). Unfortunately, as long as our home port is Ishøj we will have to pass every time we want to go for a sail on the Sound. Therefore we hope to move the boat to the harbour "Lynetten" (also called "Margretheholm") in central Copenhagen as of next season. We had a mooring place there for the rest of the season 2014. That was great.

Ole,
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2015 at 09:53
Ole,

Thanks for the information. I will keep well clear of that area next time I sail into Öresund. I have not made any plans for future sails yet but Copenhagen keeps popping up in my head.

I believe that our boats are not the only ones where the aft keel boat is located dangerously close to the edge of the keel. The picture below serves as an example. The keel in the picture is from another make of boat (don't remember which) and it serves as a sign post outside the office of the company that repaired some gelcoat damages I had to my bow.

Now, if you compare the keel in the picture with my previous picture of my keel bolt you will see that the keel boat on my boat went all the way through the keel. It is actually faired to follow the contour of the keel. I think that further weakens the construction.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 09 January 2015 at 09:55
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2015 at 09:56
Here's another keel for comparison. The boat is a Bavaria and the aftmost keel bolt is located well away from the edge of the keel.

Johan

kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2015 at 10:55
Hi Johan

Yes, I think you are right. It is a very common construction. There is no danger, though. The conclusion is simply that the aft keel bolt is superfluous. Anyway, if you do run aground there is a tendency that it will break at the bolt, so it is perhaps better avoid having a bolt there.

That seems to be what they have done on the Bavaria. Notice that it has only 8 bolts (which BTW look a bit smaller than ours)Wink

Ohh... I am not into Bavaria "bashing" at allLOL

Ole,
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2015 at 12:16
It seems that the last keelbolt on a hanse is a feature and not a bug.....Wink
Blake 370
amanihanse View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amanihanse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2015 at 12:25
HI

Glad to see our lovely old boat amani is well and being looked after
I assume you are the lucky chap that bought it from Plymouth from us in 2008

happy sailing - always new she was a solid one !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>