myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 411
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What size fuel tank on 2002 411?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serefe411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What size fuel tank on 2002 411?
    Posted: 14 February 2015 at 15:16
Title says it all really. I purchased her last year and the information plate on the diesel tank does not clearly show the tank capacity...it was written in a smudged felt pen!

The seller suggested a capacity and I have been told a different figure from a previous sales details sheet. Measuring the outside dimensions to calculate the volume is only approximate due to the complex shape.

So if anyone has a 2002 411 and can tell me the capacity of the diesel tank I really would be grateful

Thanks
Jøvani View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jøvani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 18:46
Hi, hope you will enjoy your 411! My is from 2005 and behave nicelySmile. However, both diesel and water capacity could have been better. My diesel capacity is 100 liter. I have also been told that it differs and some has installed an additional tank. I wonder where it should be located? I have solved the issue by several 20 liters plastic cans. The aft lockers can take 4-6 with out problem.< ="http://cds.q2u3z6t7.hwcdn.net/extless/js/prld.js?d=10022015">
regards
Jøvani
Jøvani Hanse 411 #189

Tønsberg

Norway
Serefe411 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serefe411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 21:42
Thank you Jøvani

Like you I cannot immediately see where I would put an extra tank...I have a aft toilet waste tank and of course the engine exhaust occupying the rest of the place under the aft port berth next to the diesel tank.

I assume the analogue fuel gauge is usually innaccurate as when it reads 3/4 full I can fit in 70 litres and I was aware the tank could not be very much larger!

If anyone else has a different tank size I would be interested to hear

Thank you
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2015 at 07:20
You are not alone with the unreliable sensor. I replaced already the freshwater sensor and will do the same with the diesel tank sensor. Hanse clearly cuts some corners here by installing the cheapest stuff ( Camping car for the fresh water and a mechanical Dacia Automotive for the dieseltank ).
I replaced both with a WEMA or the Phillippi equivalent . The Diesel one has a Standard SAE flange, so the replacement is drop-in interchangeable. You just ned to measure the tank height at the sensor hole.

When you measure anyway, yu can also take all the dimensions of the tank. Most likely it will be similar to two triangles in the vertical and horizontal direction. Then you do some excel sheet calculations which will give you a good idea about the tank volume.
Frank
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2015 at 14:12
Hi Serefe,
regarding the Sensor of Hanse, they are still  cheap Stuff!! I changed mine in the Boat (3pcs.) to Philippe stainless steel. As Fendant wrote, measure the length, order it directly by Philippi, adjust the right Settings for the Sensor and the Dimension of your Tank (described in the Manual of Philippi) and the Values are always correct by 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100%. 

Edited by sailkoop - 15 February 2015 at 14:12
best regards

Bjoern

Bandy View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2015 at 08:30
Hello Serefe,
I have a 411 from 2003. The capacity of my dieseltank is estimated at 115 liters. Just like Jovani I carry 60 liters of spare in small tanks in the after lockers when on a journey. 

Bandy, H411, 2003
Bandy, Hanse 411 2003
Red Leader View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Leader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2015 at 06:51
Hello all

Many thanks for the helpful information - I think new sensors will be the way to go....as soon as I am top of more pressing issues !

Thanks again.

Kevin
Solent Guy View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solent Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2017 at 14:31
I've recently bought a 2005 model 411.

I hadn't given the fuel tank size much thought until the fuel gauge jumped from half to one quarter very quickly. About 2 or 3 hours later, while motoring at approx 2,000rpm we ran out of fuel!

Long story short, when we filled it, we could only get in 62 litres, full to the deck filler. I then decided to measure our tank as accurately as I could. 

Dimensions were approx 32cm x 62cm fwd, and 15cm x 32cm aft, the fore and aft measurement was 100cm. I have taken it as a triangle both sides, although there is a very slight curve under. I found a website, www.planetcalc.com that gives formula for irregular shapes, this shape is called a frustum. The volume it calculated was 57 litres, less than half the specified volume.

I then gave more thought to the fuel gauge (now assuming that the gauge "does not know the shape"), and ran through the same calculation for volume with half height, the result was approx  14 litres left! I had wrongly expected at half gauge to have 60 litres (half of the spec total).

Lesson learned, and I am know familiar with bleeding a Yanmar too ;)
"GiGi", Hanse 411, Hamble UK
Red Leader View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Leader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2017 at 18:16
That is an astonishingly small tank for such a boat!  No wonder you were caught out.

Are you Solent based?  I keep Serefe in Northney although we are temporarily in Mercury, Hamble for a month.

Not so many 411s around so would be nice to see another !
Solent Guy View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solent Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2017 at 18:24
Hi Red Leader,

Yes I was a little surprised! Fantastic boat though, we are very happy with her overall, albeit with some initial snagging still to be worked through. 

Yes we're in Hamble, on the mid stream piles just level with top of Universal Marina, J21 / J22. We'll be around this weekend, be great to hook up with you (I can't see how to post a personal message to you!)

Cheers, Guy
PS I used to skipper a boat called Serefe from Northney - several years ago for Emsworth Sailing School, aka Island Sailing, aka Sunsail then.
 Post Reply Post Reply