myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lewmar Electric Winch - Works hands free!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lewmar Electric Winch - Works hands free!
    Posted: 20 April 2015 at 17:58
Hi

Had a problem with the Lewmar 46 Electric winch this weekend, it suddenly started to creep on the electric motor click click click then it stopped. I tried the button a few times and it worked as it should do. Start stop etc as I pushed the button in.
I put it down to imagination. Then when we were getting ready to drop the main it suddenly started again but went from a click click  click to running full speed. No one was near it and luckily no line was on the winch. I had to nip below and isolated the supply.

When I got back to the marina I cleared the lines and tried it again, as soon as I turned it on at the isolator off it went at full speed. After pushing the button a few times it stopped but then soon started again on its own.

I presume faulty switch but it is fixed in with Sika flex so I need a craft knife to un seal it from the deck.

Has any one had this problem with a Lewmar electric winch? Are the switches electric or air on the Hanse as in the Lewmar info it has both as an option. The worry is that there appears to be a control box located with the winch behind a nicely built in cover on the ceiling of the stern cabin and I know I will make a mess cutting it out and sealing it back in if it is the control box !

Thanks

Ken

Edited by gizmo - 20 April 2015 at 18:00
Ken
430e # 161
UK
Lippe View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2015 at 19:56
I think you need to ask electrician to check the installation rather than we start quessing possibilities.
Ballistic View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2015 at 04:44
Hi   Ken      If the switch is a rubber circular button ,held in by a plastic surround and a flap over the top ,then these are a contact pressure switch. They deteriorate over time and the contacts often close and cause your issue..    Cannot be fixed . They have 2 wires in the back and are quite easy to install.   They are a bit exy but safer to replace than getting a really nasty accident   Cheers  John   Ballistic    Hanse531
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2015 at 06:59
Originally posted by Lippe Lippe wrote:

I think you need to ask electrician to check the installation rather than we start quessing possibilities.

You cannot do that - you would miss half the fun of the forum
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
gizmo View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2015 at 22:18
Lippe - As luck would have it I am an electrician.

Ballistic - Thanks for the confirmation on the switch, I have new switch due in on Friday, the problem I think will be getting the switch out as it appears to be glued in.

Ken
Ken
430e # 161
UK
Ballistic View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2015 at 22:53
Hi   Ken     I am not on the boat to check but I am pretty sure there are 3 self tappers holding the plastic ring down . A small amount of Sika like putty is used to waterproof seal but once you undo the screws you can lever the switch off.  Good luck   John   Ballistic
gizmo View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2015 at 17:46
John

I took the screws out last week but had nothing suitable to slide under the switch and break the sika flex seal. I will have another go this weekend. Thanks for the info

Ken
Ken
430e # 161
UK
Lippe View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2015 at 20:45
Originally posted by samuel samuel wrote:

Originally posted by Lippe Lippe wrote:

You cannot do that - you would miss half the fun of the forum

Yes agree. I forgot for a moment why we are here. We are big boys, the boat is our toy,   all we do with the boat it is for our fun that is why there is not any "only one corrrect way to do".
Kari
 Post Reply Post Reply