myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SD 50 service

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SD 50 service
    Posted: 28 June 2015 at 14:43
Hi SD50 saildrive owners. 
We all know about the 500 hour service that Yanmar expects us to complete. The cone clutch is now slipping on my 2007 Hanse 400 and my mechanic tells me that he has to remove the engine from its mounts to get at the clutch. Is this true? Sounds crazy to me What should I expect to pay for this work?
Thanks for any insight. 
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 17:01
This topic came up a few months ago in another thread. It made me bookmark the following article which seemed to outline a sound method of replacing the cone clutch without moving the engine. Also, I saw articles that gave a method of "resurfacing" the cone rather than buying a new one...

Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Idelfix View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Idelfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2015 at 21:29
Hi
No, you do not need to move the motor, you just need to loosen 4 nuts, but bee careful not to loosen them completely

Edited by Idelfix - 28 June 2015 at 21:34
"Keep sailing in free wind"

http://suhrfa.blogspot.se

Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 08:49
Thanks Guys. Both really useful documents for my 'How to' file!

Mark
Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
Setanta View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 13:52
Thanks for the info gentlemen but has anyone had the procedure done on a 400 without removing the engine? My mechanic says that there is not enough clearance in the engine compartment to extract the cone clutch without separating the engine and saildrive. I think I am about to be ripped off!

Dråpen View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dråpen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 14:35
Originally posted by Setanta Setanta wrote:

I think I am about to be ripped off!

You are about to be ripped off!!! I have changed the cone cluch on my Hanse 370 last year and belive me, you don't need to separate the engine and saildrive!

I used the procedure described by LeuCat and it worked perfect.

Edited by Dråpen - 06 July 2015 at 14:39
Idelfix View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idelfix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 17:35
All you need is 200 mm above the top of SD50 to lift up the cylinder

"Keep sailing in free wind"

http://suhrfa.blogspot.se

Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 18:08
Setanta
This is definitely not an easy space to work in, it's tight. It's a pain in the butt just trying to put oil in the SD never mind tearing it down. However, pulling the engine forward by separating it from the SD is not going to create more space above or on the sides of the SD.
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Hudson30 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudson30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2015 at 00:12
Have just had my cones redone on my Hanse 400 (2009). At first thought it was the cable but having had that adjusted still couldn't engage forward.
Had a discussion with the Yanmar dealer last week and he informed me that they would be able to do it with the boat in the water and no requirement to move the engine. As per the other messages in this post there are several instructions available online to do it yourself with no need to move the engine - just loosen the 4 bolts.
The dealer has done this a few times with a number of different production boats all with SD50 sail drives. They did the work yesterday and I am now looking forwards to taking her out on the water this weekend. Total cost under $1000.00 Australian.
Further the dealer has said once this is done then the SD 50 saildrive should no longer face the polishing issues of the cones that the SD 50 is known for. I guess the replacement parts may address this problem - not sure but hope so.
Zorro View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2015 at 22:06
Hi Hudson

Sorry to say that you might need to fix it every now and then.
I changed for a second time last winter as we polished our cone last year again after 4  year.
I changed propeller this winter to a flexofold 3 blade folding - it might have some effect as well.

I had many talks with the guru on Yanmar Sweden and received an instruction how to use the gear, how to turn off the engine when going into sail, learned that you should minimize going below 2 knot (trolling fish), not sail and going with the engine at the same time - sail should never push the boat forward when you go with the engine. There is so much to think of and I was very close to change to a Volvo D2 from my yanmar 3JH4E 39 hp SD50.

I have a brand new clutch cone if anyone is interested - Yanmar claimes there is no construction mistake but i believe owners have a different opinion throughout the world. As it wassn't enough to encounter the problems every now and then - Yanmar increased the spare parts quite much for the clutch cone the last year - I believe about 40%!!!

Z______________________________  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>