myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hanse 315 model year 2015: what do you think about
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanse 315 model year 2015: what do you think about

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 09:11
About the Vulcan 7....
I got one last year and it is ok. Would liked half the power consumtion thow.
I think one need to buy the large maps when using the Vulcan. Changing SD card is not in front and then not that easy.

My main plotter is positioned a very nice place :-)

Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
RobB View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 16:38
Marcel,
As the owner of a 315 with 0 miles under the keel, I'm very interested in seeing a picture of your battery storage solution.

Rob
Rob Baier
315#090
RobB View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2017 at 16:57
Sam,
About the Vulcan 7:  B&G have a very good set of videos on youtube to walk you through everything, including loading maps using a wifi connection, i.e. no SD card.

Rob
Rob Baier
315#090
Pepea View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pepea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 06:48

Rob,
this is how Hanse installs the battery under the starboard saloon seat Easy to imagine that there's no storage room left if you've got two batteries. I removed the batteries including cables and took away the plastic cover. Then I built a plywood platform above which I mounted the batteries athwardships. Fixed batteries properly, pur cables back into place (some of the battery cables had to be replaced because their length was wrong in the new position). Finaly I covered the installation using plywood and plastic cut from the original battery cover.
Being abroad at the moment, I can show you only pics I happen to have in my mobile. The next one shows batteries on their new platform with cables still un-fixed and without the new cover. The pic May still illustrate how much space for storage I gained.
Cheers
Marcel
Hanse 315 "Pepea"
RobB View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2017 at 12:02
Marcel,
Thank you, I think this just got added to my future projects list.

Rob
Rob Baier
315#090
redlion View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 08:53
We have just seen round the new 315 at the Scottish boat show and quite frankly it is a very nice day boat but no use for cruising. There is hardly any storage space for clothes, food, crockery etc. It has one small drawer for cutlery and kitchen utensils. She who must be obeyed was not impressed and we both agreed we far prefer our 2006 model. It is difficult to imagine who the target customer for this boat is. My observations would be that the vast majority of boat owners in my neck of the woods are couples whose children have now flown the nest and now have some spare cash to indulge in big toys and yet the ikea like style of this yacht seems to be aimed at a far younger audience.
It,s not over till the fat lady drowns
Caspar B View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caspar B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 08:48

Originally posted by redlion redlion wrote:

We have just seen round the new 315 at the Scottish boat show and quite frankly it is a very nice day boat but no use for cruising. There is hardly any storage space for clothes, food, crockery etc. It has one small drawer for cutlery and kitchen utensils. She who must be obeyed was not impressed and we both agreed we far prefer our 2006 model. It is difficult to imagine who the target customer for this boat is. My observations would be that the vast majority of boat owners in my neck of the woods are couples whose children have now flown the nest and now have some spare cash to indulge in big toys and yet the ikea like style of this yacht seems to be aimed at a far younger audience.

Incoming wall of text:

Being in my 30ies, married and with a 5 year old I suppose I fall between your chairs... 

Having owned my 315 one short season I would say it is perfect for our use for several reasons.

-It has very good sailing performance for a cruising yacht! It is FUN to sail this wedge with the large genaker, deep and decent foils. The rig is tunable and easy to sail singlehanded. With the very good B&G/Jefa autopilot I can jib and tack singlehanded with all sails, including genaker up to around 8m/s - with training probably more. Tracking is excellent, allowing me to let go of the wheel to trim or switch steering positions. Reefed balance is good and drive to windward in a chop is impressive for ‘cruiser’. It is no slouch in light airs either. From pictures it looks fat in the rear, but the hulls sloping shape provides a narrow waterline and little wetted surface when sailing upright at less than hull speed. There is very little stern wash and turbulence making it one of the more quiet square a** designs I have sailed. The designers got the hydrodynamics right on this one.

-It has a great cockpit for socializing. I always want to picture myself as a bearded salt with endless expanses of oceans around me, but reality is that most days we have time for a 4-hour trip, with dinner included, before heading back to the marina on weekdays. With sheets and steering led aft it is perfectly possible for my family (with a couple of friends) to have dinner while I steer aft. For many years, I felt that wheels on a 30ft sailboat was ridiculous. Today, as a family man, I can see definitive benefits. Two wheels provide passageway and a very comfortable steering position on the rear quarter. However, for racing I would take a tiller any day.

-There are no other good alternatives. We looked at Jeanneau, Dufour, Bavaria, Hallberg Rassy and Beneteau. Of the five mentioned only HR could match or surpass the Hanse on perceived quality and/or sailing ability. Unfortunately the HR fails on the “price vs guilt of not sailing enough” so this was out of the question for now.

-‘Smallness’: My wife can comfortably stack the main and manhandle the boat when docking in most situations. Prices for sails and rigging is much cheaper giving me the option to change sails at shorter intervals in the future. Smaller marina fees when cruising is a benefit and there is always room for a ‘tiny’ yacht. Wacko

-Does it have limited storage for cutlery and provisions? Yes, it does.  We have learned to live with this by preparing plastic tubs with whatever is needed for the trip. When the trip is over, we take everything home and put dirty dishes in the dishwasher instead of wasting time onboard. Next year we plan longer passages and will have to make some compromises, but as mentioned earlier I think it is better to own a boat that fits the bill on the sailing we do most. The hull and rig is capable of proper excursions and to me that is much more important than the number of drawer.

-IKEA trim: yes, I agree. It is not what I would have chosen either, but most of the time I am outside enjoying the sailing. The cabin is airy and bright and fits the kind of use it will see in our family. When it is dark and we have anchored for the night, the variable lighting and comfortable seating makes it cozy enough. The athwartships bunk is huge and provides lots of comfort. The forpeak with its modular layout is perfect for a small child. Clothes are packed in kit-bags that we bring from home. Completely adequate for weekend sailing and the yearly holiday cruise. Only clothing left on board when we leave is foul weather gear.

The TLDR: Very good sailing boat with great handling that makes concessions on storage and homely feel.

2016 Hanse 315
Ta'I Miti 2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ta'I Miti 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 17:21
Hello Redlion

I 10000% agree with you
I cannot imagine 4 persons sailing for 3 weeks on the new 315.

This summer I left for 3 month - 2 people (men - few luggages) on my 2004 312 and I did not had enough space for 2 weeks nav.

All seats lockers are full with batteries or water tank, the locker under the stern bed is full with the diesel tank, other bunks lockers are so small you cannot put anything bigger than 20 X 20 inside

It's even impossible to lay the dishes flat in the side lockers. Nothing foreseen for pan and pots in the kitchen

Luckily our old stuff have the port garage and the 2 stern lockers (vanished in the new 315) 
I use them for water and diesel jerrycan, spare anchor, fenders and spare ropes and my moorings. Where do you store these in the 315? You can't.

Except the front cabin lockers, there are no big lockers. But if you fill these in the ship becomes an ironer. 

My other VERY OLD 1977 28 feet has 3 times more space than my 312. I can lay down inside my seat lockers which is impossible for a 10 years child in the 312 

How do you sleep when sailing in the 315 stern bed: you don't. But if you have fresh milk you can get cream.

In fact there are no place to sleep when sailing in any new "cheap" sailboat; I had to find a selfmade solution with old sail cloth.

But why would we claim. "Generalist" shipyards are now building what people wants and can use: caravans for daily lake sails for people who will never stay more than 8 hours on sea and only if the temperature is over 20° and the wind less than 12Kn.

And, to close this negative post, I do not find it acceptable to be obliged to modify a new ship in order to have a more "liveable" ship.

Maybe I'm exagerating, but not that much I think

I would never exchange my old 312 for a 2017 315. Except to sell it and buy an old 312 + money   ;-)

But, I do not say the 312 is a bluewater ship. Another kind of Bavaria

Sorry for those who bought the new 315

Edited by Ta'I Miti 2 - 17 October 2017 at 17:30
Not only those who wander are lost

I've learn that the best way to learn about people is to sail with them
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 18:14
Originally posted by Ta'I Miti 2 Ta'I Miti 2 wrote:

This summer I left for 3 month - 2 people (men - few luggages) on my 2004 312 and I did not had enough space for 2 weeks nav.

I am coming out in defence of the old 31 series here. If you did not have room then you did not have much idea of how to sail sensibly. in 2004 I sailed for 28 weeks with my wife & found the  311 excellent for 2. I have often had 2 week holidays with 3 & it is the maximum I agree. But not a problem. I have had a number of holidays for 2 weeks with 4 family members but would not do it with "friends", but 2 people  can sail for very long periods if one is sensible.
I actually had a 2 week holiday cruising the Dutch canals with 6 of us. Great fun but cosy. Try 2 weeks with 3 women on board Cry!!!! not to be recommended in any yacht.

If there are only 2 or 3 of you then the saloon berths are great for sleeping underway by adding leecloths so I do not accept your comment about sleeping whilst sailing.
the 2004 version of the 31 has ample room for 2-- but I must admit, it is nice with one.SmileSmile

Edited by samuel - 17 October 2017 at 18:16
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Caspar B View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caspar B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 19:55
Originally posted by Ta'I Miti 2 Ta'I Miti 2 wrote:

Sorry for those who bought the new 315

What are you sorry for? Is it intended as some kind of insult or are you sorry people decide to own a different kind of boat then what you would prefer?

I don't really feel any need to defend the 'honor' of a plastic yacht, but I'd settle with saying that a few of your statements/rants are either exaggerated or just plainly false.

2016 Hanse 315
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>