myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 350
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lewmar deck hatch rubber detached

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugotthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lewmar deck hatch rubber detached
    Posted: 24 August 2015 at 18:21
Hello everyone, 

Yesterday I went to open one of the lewmar flush deck hatches on my 350 and instead of the hatch opening as usual, the top part opened but unfortunately left the rubber sealant on the deck. (see pictures below)

I have done some research and it looks like it could be down to UV light damaging the sealant between the two components, i was wondering what you would recommend? Would they be under warranty (they were new with the boat in 2008) or if not what sealant would you recommend i use?

Thank you very much

Hugo

Fair winds

Hugo
Hanse 350, 2008

bovine View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bovine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2015 at 00:03
Hi Hugo
I've had this with three of my hatches,what makes me laugh is Lewmar call them ocean hatches with a label on them saying must be kept shut whilst underway.
Contacted Lewmar to complain,they offered new lids only at £200 each plus vat
Lewmar stuff is generally crap, I reglued mine with Sikaflex but I don't think it's a permanant fix
David
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2015 at 07:44
I recommend a call to lewmar in britain. Go direct to the producer, not a lewmar dealer! Hanse bought the hatches directly from lewmar, so a dealer will not be involved!

This hatch has been changed on many hanses, as it was a faulty construction. You will need the hull number and the hatch number. (The hatch number is ingraved into the plexi as far as i remember).

The new ones do not have this rusty aluminium frame. The fault was the black paint which has no lasting connection to the aluminiumframe. look into the lewmar page.

BTW: temporarily you can fix it with sika or pantera.

Good luck.
Blake 370
SY Barbarella View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SY Barbarella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2015 at 14:47
Hi, Hugo.

I discovered the same on mine Hanse 320 this weekend on both hatches, just before I was racing a regatta in rough sea! Have you got any replies from Lewmar or Hanse yet? Lewmar has changed their design to have the hinges bolted through the glass, and not just to a frame which the glass is glued onto. The old model of hatches we have on our boats is clearly a design/construction fault with a huge safety risk! Even if our boats are 7 years old, in my opinion Hanse should withdraw all models with these hatches and replace the hatches with the new and safer version for free.

L

S/Y "Barbarella" - NOR15055
Hanse 320#095
Ulstein Seilforening
Gordon Harrison View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordon Harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2015 at 09:24
We had same had to have replacements had to pay so if you get some free ones let me know so I can claim mine. Best of luck, We all have a different idea of what is ocean going
Gordon
hugotthomas View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugotthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2015 at 17:28
So after a few months of chasing people for an answer I've finally got one.

I originally contacted a Lewmar dealer who eventually passed my query onto Lewmar themselves. I have been in contact with them over the last few weeks and unfortunately they are not covered under any sort of warranty. They have however offered me a replacement hatch with a 77% discount - so instead of paying £351.85 for a whole replacement lid (the bottom half of the hatch is fine - as can be seen in my photos above, so luckily there's no need for a full new hatch) I've paid £80.92. 

I haven't received it yet though so i'm still keeping my fingers crossed! 

Fair winds

Hugo
Hanse 350, 2008

bovine View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bovine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2015 at 23:26
Hi Hugo that's a lot cheaper than they offered me, I'm going to replace my lids with 10mm toughend glass
David
 Post Reply Post Reply