myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 531 / 540
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flexitek

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flexitek
    Posted: 07 November 2015 at 07:37
The teak has perished on my 531 and needs replacing soon. Has any one used flexitek or  a similar product? Any advice and comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
John
John

RANGATIRA   575. #82
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2015 at 08:49
John,

We had a bad experience with Flexitek - it was applied to a boat by the distributor and shortly after it started to lift. Neither the distributor or manufacturer would do anything about the problem. These "plastic" teaks also get very hot under foot when in full sun, to the point sometimes where you can not walk on it in bare feet. We would not use Flexitek again and would only use real teak.
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
SausalitoDave View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SausalitoDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2015 at 19:14
I agree with Wayne, it is super hot in the sun.  No bare feet on a sunny day.

Dave
Hanse 505 
Festina Lente
Annapolis View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Annapolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2015 at 17:30
I love the look of teak when its new but after a year that changes and maintenance requires very special care.  With the Flexiteak you can use soap and water and it the Flexiteak dries in about 10 minutes, not the same with wood.  If you get a difficult stain on Flexiteak it can be lightly sanded and the black seams are made of the same synthetic material.  If you get good adhesion applied, the drawback of hot decks in the sun is worth it to me.
Awatea View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2015 at 19:00
Hi Annapolis
Thanks for your comments. Which colours did you choose for your deck?
Cheers

John

RANGATIRA   575. #82
Jode7 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jode7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2015 at 05:55
I also like teak when new, but not weathered teak. Being in Queensland Australia teak can be very hot under foot so my boat only has teak in the cockpit. I tried several cheap sealers which only proved to be slippery and did not last any time, then someone put me onto 'Semco ' I cleaned the teak and applied 5 coats 6 months ago and the decks still look like new and not slippery. everyone that sees my decks always comment on how good they look. Semco is not cheap bet it looks great and performs good.
http://www.nmss.com.au/semco-teak-products
SausalitoDave View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SausalitoDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2015 at 06:15
We have also used Semco and it results in a beautiful look.  We used the natural color diluted 4:1. 

However, I am concerned that the cleaner/brightener step is very slowly eating away at the softer portions of the teak.  I would love to know what others think of the product and if they have used for a longer period than my one year.  Right now my plan is to go back to a natural grey look using regular washes across the grain and an occasional salt-water rinse.

Dave  
Jode7 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jode7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2015 at 08:15
I think the trick with Semco is to  start with enough coats and re-coat with a single new coat every 6 months and not keep stripping the decks.
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2015 at 12:35
I had teak decks on my previous boat and used Semco for the last 4 years or so before I sold her. It was hard work using the cleaner/brightener every year but the end result was good. However, on my 415 I decided to not have teak decks. They are expensive initially, take a lot of effort to maintain and, in the long term, can be a major problem to replace.

I would seriously consider artificial teak, though, as some of the new products do look good, like the real thing. In the UK, hot decks would not be a major problem!
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
RalphK View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RalphK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2015 at 16:04
I ordered the Flexiteek from Hanse factory with my new 385 half a year ago and I don't regret it all. It is not slippery at all, looks very good and first of all: 0 maintenance required.

I chose the semi weathered color as the bright color looks a bit artificial, clearly will after the boat gets older.

I did not think about the heat for bare footers but in the Baltic and later North Sea where I plan to be for the next 2-3 years this should not matter.

Will see how it will be in the Med after that.
SY Wind Pearl, Hanse 385#358
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>