myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cummins Onan generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tripilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cummins Onan generator
    Posted: 03 February 2016 at 11:39
We have just ordered a Hanse 575 Thumbs Up. A friend of ours had his delivered about a year ago and we have learnt a huge amount from his experience.
We would like to install a Cummins Onan generator instead of the Fischer Panda 10000i as it has given non-stop problems. This combined with talking to the engineers at our marina, they have told us to stay as far away from the Fischer Panda as possible. Our broker has asked Hanse but we haven't heard back from them yet. Anyone with experience good or bad with the Fischer Panda and anyone with a Cummins and is it even possible to fit the Onan? I have measured roughly and it seems it will fit. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Live life as if it were your last day ;-)
FrontRow-Marine Ltd View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrontRow-Marine Ltd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2016 at 19:36
Hi, congratulations on your new yacht! We have a considerable amount of experience with the 575 and its systems as we manage several. And I must say that the Fischer Panda have been very reliable! I can also vouch for Onans and Cummins as Oysters use these, but as far as we have experienced there isn't a problem at all with the Panda!

Enjoy your new love when she arrives!
FrontRow-Marine Ltd
Tripilot View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tripilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2016 at 10:40
Thanks for the reply Front-Row, I appreciate it. I am happy to hear that you have no problems with the Fischer Panda and will take it if it comes to it. Do you have any experience with the Jabsco toilets not operating properly on the 575? Our first boat  had Jabsco and they were horrendous. Took about 2 minutes to fill and then another minute to flush. The Tecma we had on our previous boat were amazing!

Is there anything that stands out about the 575 that needs particular attention? We are very excited about her arriving!
Cheers!

Live life as if it were your last day ;-)
FrontRow-Marine Ltd View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrontRow-Marine Ltd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2016 at 11:12
I believe Jabsco may of had a couple of problems with their electric toilets, their manual are very good though. I think I would go with the Tecma if it was me. If you need any more help please feel free to contact us.
FrontRow-Marine Ltd
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2016 at 11:23

Henry,

We had the same misgivings about the Fischer Panda "i" series of generators. The "i" stands for inverter. These units can run at variable engine speeds (up to 3600 rpm) and by using an inverter,  invert the varying DC power produced to AC at the required hertz. This means the generator can be smaller and lighter and the inverter is mounted separately normally under one of the aft beds. The complexity of this system results in more problems. Fischer Panda are not the only manufacturers to use this system. Any generator using this "inverter" system are more prone to problems. Our marine electrician back home suggested using a fixed engine speed generator which run at either 1500 or 3000 rpm to produce 50 hertz AC (1800 or 3600 rpm to produce 60 hertz AC).

Generally larger generator drive motors run at 1500 rpm for 50 hertz or 1800 for 60 hertz. Your Onan example is probably one of the lower fixed speed units but they do offer a 2880 rpm model in tour power range. Due to the lower drive engine rpm the drive engine needs to be larger/more KW so these units are larger and heavier.

The FP 10,000i = weighs 120kg + 12kg for inverter, variable rpm

The FP 10,000NE= weighs 178kg, 3000 rpm fixed, drive engine capacity =600cm3

The FP PMS-HD9.4kva= weighs 252kg, 1500 rpm fixed, drive engine capacity =1123cms

Cummins QD MDKBM 11kva =weighs 315kg, 1500 rpm fixed

Cummins QD MDKBL 9kva = weighs 272kg, 1500 rpm fixed

Although we wanted to fit the Fischer Panda PMS-HD09.4 (1500 rpm) after discussion with Hanse they advised this model would not fit in the area and still offer access to the service and maintenance points on the unit. So we ended up with the FP 10,000NE (3000 rpm) which offers access to the service points. There is nothing wrong with the Onan generators but I would think it will not fit in the space available and still offer access for service and maintenance.

Wayne's World

Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
 Post Reply Post Reply