myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B&G H50 VHF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B&G H50 VHF
    Posted: 10 November 2019 at 11:09
It is very simple to rewire the cable to the charging cradle do that it is linked to one of the switches on the Wurth panel.
From memory I have mine on F1 which I selected based on the fuse rating.
So now I can keep the unit in the cradle and only charge for an hour or so after use.
Mine is now 5 seasons old and batteries are still ok although I had the PTT microswich repaired by B&G this season.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Richard Hall View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Hall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2019 at 10:45
B&G (Navico) have been very good at the support side in replacing batteries and the handset cradles on a couple of occasions on my unit that is now five years old for the cost of postage.  
B&G notified Hanse dealers on a technical bulletin update on 08-Jul-19 that the units should not be stored in the cradles except for charging.  Expect the batteries to last 5 years before needing replacement (as a comparison my Braun Toothbrush is now 13 years old and on its third battery - the original having lasted only 4 years).
Hanse have wired the unit to be permanently energised, which has the effect of accelerating failure.  
A switch is the obvious solution otherwise the handset needs to be left out of the cradle.  
The unit can be charged via the mini usb connection under the rubber flap at the back.
If you have issues then I would contact B&G and send both the handsets and the cradle to be checked - certainly in the UK as I say support has been excellent.
Scotchmist View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 13:41
I had the same problem and Inspiration Marine replaced it during the warrantee period. It seems that though the domestic electrics are all switched off by the isolator, the charge base for the handheld VHF transceiver is not. If you leave it in the cradle continuously it burns out the charger. My solution was to mount a switch next to the charger (with an indictor light for on/off). 
Andrew

Scotch Mischief Dehler 38 by Hanse
Gale Force View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gale Force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2019 at 04:49
I too have had to change the base.It got very hot and then eventually failed.

Duncan
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 21:07
B&G used to be the best of the best when it came to sailing instruments but since becoming part of the Simrad/Navico family the products have become comoditised for production boat sales and mass aftermarket sales.

Unfortunately they are now cheap rubbish, look at the post about masthead wind unit failures, multiple plotter failures due to screen delamination, etc etc.

I wouldnt leave your VHF in the cradle with power for any longer than is needed to charge it this will decrease the life rapidly.

Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 19:09
I found a brand new handheld and base on e-Bay.   I have a charging base at the helm and the factory installed base at the nav station below.    I keep the extra handheld as a spare as it needs to be programmed to work with the base unit.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 16:09
Originally posted by Jode7 Jode7 wrote:

The other problem you will have with the handset is the transmit button failing. The switch behind the rubber transmit button is only a little micro switch attached to the electronic board by its tinny soldered terminals. If you press the transmit button too hard the switch will break off.

This happened to me just as I was trying to make my way into Portsmouth / Gosport Marina single handed.  Not the easiest place to disappear down below to use the fixed VHF unit.

Micro switch was detached, however B&G repaired it for a reasonable fee.  Unit is in its 5th season so out of warranty.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
AMAROO View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMAROO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2016 at 13:18
Have had the same problem with the charger, was replaced under warranty. B&G has a three year warranty? thought it was only 2?
Persse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2016 at 13:02
I dont leave the handheld on the charger. Mainly to avoid unnecessary current drain and chargers are notorious for breaking down unless the electronic components are high specification.
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2016 at 10:30
Thank you both for your replies and advice. Latest update is that I took it up with B&G direct and they have agreed to a free replacement so hopefully all will be working again soon. I will take the advice regarding only charging when on and hopefully the new set will last longer than the first two!
All the best Paul - Night Train
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>