myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ceiling Lamp exchange - Which LED Model?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ceiling Lamp exchange - Which LED Model?
    Posted: 20 February 2016 at 20:04
From my own experience on the 370.  I also got replacement toggle switches for one or two fittings from Maplin and replaced the failed ones.  eBay provided the G4 replacement bulbs and 5 years down the road they have not failed yet (I leave the heads one on all night).  I used warm white for the majority of lights and cool white in the galley.  Also replace the bedroom wall lights with LED. I left halogen bulbs in the saloon wall lights as I felt the time run vs the brightness was worth the extra power consumption.  Overall very happy with the LEDs
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
Scotchmist View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2016 at 17:07
Jan. On the subject of the switches. My solution was to buy some neat little black plastic rocker switches from Maplin. You need to adapt the old fitting a bit but they worked very reliably and were unobtrusive
Andrew

Scotch Mischief Dehler 38 by Hanse
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2016 at 21:56
A really good source of marine LED bulbs is 

http://www.boatlamps.co.uk

We have used their warm white bulbs in the saloon and they are great.  They do the red/white bulbs as well.
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Pieterman View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pieterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 15:11
This change to LED is on my worklist for my Hanse 315 as well. 
In my previous boat I did change to warm white LED, and I must say I liked the result. Like you Iemand, I was afraid the light would be blue-ish and kind of metallic. To my great satisfaction the light in my boat was still nice and cosy. Maybe it depends on the make of the 'warm white' LEDs?
I like the idea of the red/white selectable unit. This will do its job at the chart table. Thanks.

Pieterman
Hanse 315 (2007)
BEL7000
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 10:01
I tried warm white LED as replacements the other day. Although the colour was ok the light felt "technical" not warm and cosy. In a way strange...

I'm still using Halogens so far.

What is your experience with your replacements?

Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Janni View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2016 at 06:38
Thanks for the hint. 
To exchange the bulbs against G4LEDs is "Plan B". 
We have an issue with the little switches inside the lamps, which frequently lack contact. 
In addition, the metal cover ring has an average quality, but is not really suitable for the use in harsh environments like a boat. 
Jan
Hanse 320 #548 "SCHNEGGE"
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2016 at 18:14
Just change the bulbs to LED, you don't need to change the whole fixture.
Not sure what year Hanse you have but likely they are still using the same fixtures for many years.
The connector (base) scheme is called "G4", so you can google "LED G4 replacement".

or if you do any night sailing a red/white selectable unit is very handy in the galley or other places

Warm white is the preferred colour and make sure that you get a unit that is rated 10-30 VDC (or thereabouts). Ones that are rated at 12VDC only do not have current regulation in them and so the brightness changes as the battery voltage reduces during discharge at anchor, rather annoying....

Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Janni View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2016 at 06:55
The halogen bulbs in the ceiling illumination takes a lot of power and produces quite some heat. 
In addition, the little switch is not reliable and subject to oxidation. 

Did anyone exchange the whole lamp unit against a model with LED and switch?
Which make and model would fit without drilling new holes in the ceiling?

I had a look into the Prebit catalogue, but those nice (and expensive) lamps seem to be too big for the existing mountings. 

Jan
Hanse 320 #548 "SCHNEGGE"
 Post Reply Post Reply