myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wind Generators

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wind Generators
    Posted: 09 June 2016 at 22:01
We have run in to another problem.

We bought a few years ago a leading British make of wind generator for a couple of reasons.

Firstly NK is kept on a remote pontoon without power, great too for security and for our bank balance. so we wanted something that could keep the batteries topped up whilst we weren't around.  Also whilst sailing or at anchor, we could do likewise.  Our choice was the latest model.

For four years it's served us well, but this winter when I had to lower it to enable NK to be raised out of the water and stored on the hard, no different from previous years.  We noticed that the blades struggled to turn.  Having contacted the manufacturer they suggested that as it was at an angle and locked in one position water ma have entered the bearings.  To cut a long story short, having replaced the bearings and sent photo's to the manufacturer, they then realised that the ceramic plates had burnt out.

We are currently in dispute with the company as to weather the product could be fit for purpose and as such I will not divulge the details.  This is such a shame as the product appeared to tick all the boxes.

If you have a wind generator, how has it served you; what problems have you had; did you fit it yourself; does it keep the batteries topped up; is it noisy at night ?

I'd be interested to know what works and what should be avoided.

Once my issue is resolved I'll give you a report, but it could be a court case first before that happens.
Jon B
470e
http://www.norse-king.blogspot.co.uk
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 10:50
I had a small one. Was very dissaponted.
In a little wind it turned quite fast and delivered 5 volts.
A little windy, turning very fast and it gave 10-11 volts.
It had to blow quite hard before it gave over 12 volts and put some current into the batteries.
Completelely useless unless you are tacking all the time.

Lesson learned: Solar panel!! 
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2016 at 14:28
Buy and ampair (assuming it wasn't one)
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2016 at 16:15
No it wasn't one of those, I'll have a look.

Our issue with solar panels is two fold. Space and the fact that in the UK we're not blessed with non-stop sunshine !
Jon B
470e
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2016 at 09:25
There is not that much sun in Norway either.

If I ever would buy a wind generator again, I would make sure the hole system was state of the art.
Controller should transform low volt to 14 volts.
It should be like the newer BIG wind generators. The turn very slow and make use of any wind.

I think sailboats should be designed for solar panels.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2017 at 14:06
It's been a while but hopefully, I'm back up and running with a new generation of wind power.

This unit has only 3 larger blades that have anti-vortex tabs on the back of the blades to reduce noise, the rather industrial controller unit, that shows nothing but indicator lights is hidden where the shore power charger is, close to the batteries and the display unit provides me with the information at the back of the chart table.

It's taken about a year to iron out a lot of niggly issues, which has meant a re-write of their installation instructions, thicker (AWG) wire replacing the old and both control & display units going to and fro from the factory. I had an issue also in that it was telling me that I was generating PV power when my only panels are located on the roof of my house!

This unit starts producing power from lower wind levels less than my last one at about 6-7kts, it's supposed to have a high wind protection mode and certainly packs a punch when out sailing in 15kts of breeze with both battery banks being held at 13.3v with all instruments running.

So my three charging systems all have intelligence, baulk, absorption and float, let's hope they manage to make a brand new set of batteries last more than 5 years!
Jon B
470e
philip.bodhilife View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip.bodhilife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 17:47
Hi JonB, What does your charging system consist of (manufacture and model)? I'm planning to add solar and wind as well.
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 22:54
Hi Philip,

It's the Rutland 1200 produced by Marlec here in the UK (Corby). Use their MPPT Controller as it enables you to combine with 20amp/hr pv input. Down load the fitting instructions to ensure you can match their requirements and pay particular attention to the required wire thicknesses and make sure you can purchase from a local source, if not order it at the same time.

Here in the UK I could only obtain such wire in 100m drums slight overkill for a 14.0m boat.

I was apprehensive as I had an issue with the previous model and this seemed to insist I was generating PV power when the only solar panels I have are attached to the house. However, that was sorted and I'm really pleased with it. Quiet(er) and packs a punch. NK is on a remote pontoon and the batteries are rarely below 13.0v when I return to him.

I've set it up such that each bank of batteries takes one of the two outlets from the MPPT, so the three  service batteries takes one feed and the bank of four (winlass, bow thruster & winch) takes the other. This leaves the engine battery to charge from the alternator or from shore power.

We've recently returned from a week around the Channel Islands & we were able to leave the fridge on, confident that the Rutland wouldn't take long to recharge or hold the voltage.

Hope this helps.
Jon B
470e
 Post Reply Post Reply