myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas storage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsjst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas storage
    Posted: 18 June 2016 at 15:34
Does anyone has any advice or tips gas storage.
The gas storage lockers only have room for 2 x small campinggaz cylinders. Not much for a long passage!
Has anyone had the lockers altered to take larger bottles?
Also, I know that outside the Med Campinggaz can be hard to come by - so what size butane/propane can fit in the lockers?

bovine View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bovine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2016 at 07:21
Hi Camping Gaz is the most universally available gas in Europe, also probably the most expensive.
I've been thinking about a LPG tank ,possibly pushpit mounted,also possibly filled at the petrol station,
David
avi8tor View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avi8tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 06:13
Hi there

I am also going up this tree at the moment. Does anybody know what size bottles the lockers are designed for?

I see there are metal 3kg bottles that look like they will fit, but also some 5kg fibre ones that could be a tight squeeze.

suggestions?
H575 in Dubai, new to boat ownership
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 08:11
Paul,

The gas storage lockers on the 575 fit in the 2.75kg Camping gaz bottles and once the regulator is fitted on the "working" bottle it is a very snug fit in the locker. There is room in the bulkhead to fit larger lockers in place of the existing ones and at some stage we will probably do this. If anyone knows a supplier for these gas bottle lockers please advise. I would think the 5kg you mention would not fit in the existing lockers.

We were told by a fitter at Hanse that the 2.75kg bottles don't last long but in our experience we use only about 3 bottles over the summer season but there is only two people on board for most of summer with four people on board for about 6 weeks. But in summer in the Med we tend to not use the stove that much and the oven not at all. In winter we live on board and use more gas but in Sicily the bottles can be refilled, not exchanged, and the cost at a gas center the cost is about Euro 6. But in France we had paid over Euro 20+ for an exchange bottle. We were mainly in Croatia last summer and gas was difficult to find. 

Because we were worry about using the gas too quickly we bought a single burner electric hotplate which we often use instead of the gas when we are running the generator. We also bought a electric BBQ hotplate which we use in the cockpit occasionally.  

Let us know how you get on.    
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 11:43
if your regulator is like mine, it fits standard turkish bottles with the Camping Gas adapter removed.  A small bottle lasts us 2 weeks of serious cooking, 3 weeks less intense.  We carry our spare(s) in the anchor locker because it has a drain at the bottom and we don't want gas in the boat. even on the 385 we can fit 4 bottles in the anchor locker, so that's at least 10 weeks in all including the one in the gas locker, we carried one spare camping gaz and 3 turkish bottles on our trip to egypt for flexibility. 

best to fashion some sort of bottle restraint for the bottles in the anchor locker, and best again if you can lift them in and out for deploying the anchor.  We started with two liddle bags, the strong type, people assumed we were keeping all the beer in there!  Now im working on a design for a panel that fits the locker shape and has a bottle restraint screwed on top with the usual tape restraints for the bottle.  Now we are in more sensible waters, we only carry one spare.   
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Ida View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2016 at 22:07
In Nederland the temperatures fell to -6 Degrees Celsius at night and the camping gaz with mainly butan doesnt work at all. I bougt a new 2kg bottle for propan which fits into the locker of the 385 and replaced it for the 2,75kg campinggaz bottle. (see picture 1)

I wonder why the werf did not use the huge space for a bigger gas-locker. I think i will make a new big locker by myself in summer. (see picture 2)

avi8tor View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avi8tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 05:47
Hi There

A quick question about using propane vs butane, did you have to change anything in the system?

Ida View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 09:45
I did not change anything when using propane. Everything works fine.
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 12:05
Be aware that propane uses i higher pressure than Butan (Campinggaz).
So maybe you need another Pressure regulator.

Blake 370
avi8tor View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avi8tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:16
Hi there

I managed out dig out the manual for the stove (all in german), but from what I can see, it runs on either Butane or propane, both an 30Mmb?

thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>