myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Main sheet in the cockpit, Vang

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paule70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Main sheet in the cockpit, Vang
    Posted: 31 August 2016 at 12:10
Hi everybody,

I own a 371 (#129) from 2003 since a few weeks now.
The first Thing I want to change is taking away the mainsheet from the Roof and place it with a traveller in the Cockpit. I know that Hanse delivered such an Arrangement but I can not find detailed dimensions of the used Equipment (I tried via search in this Forum as well).
Can anybody help me with some figures about traveller size and used mainsheet-block sizes?

Another Thing that I have on my new boat is that the boom vang seems to be very strong and wrong positioned. If I loose the control line the boom vang lifts the boom quite a lot so that the angle between mast and boom is less than 90°, this looks strange and is not necessary (even in Harbour there is more than headroom in the Cockpit when the boom has a litte bit more than 90°. To get the angle to 90° or even a bit more, wich is in my experience a condition where the boom is not powered, I Need to winch the control line! So there is always a lot of power on the boom vang. On former boats I liftet the boom, when needed in Harbour, by using the main halyard on the boom. The control line of the boom vang could be slack when not sailing.

I hope that my issue is understandable as I am not an english native Speaker...

Some input would be very helpful!

Thank you a lot.

Robert
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 17:00
Hi Robert.
No problem with your English :)

I will first answer your question about the vang and will see if I can dig up some info on the cockpit traveller (in the mean time someone may give an answer anyway).

First, I have a 400 which shares a lot of design similarity with the 370 which is the predecessor of your 371. So this is my reference point. Like your vang, the one on my 400 will lift the boom no problem until either I put some vang on or some main sheet - both having the effect of lowering the boom. I would suggest that this is the desired (and designed) way of operating. The reason is that some times when you are sailing off the wind in light air and are letting the boom out with the main sheet you do not want the weight of the boom to be pulling down and flattening the main sail. You want a fair bit of "twist" in the sail - this means that the top of the main sail is even at a bigger angle to the centerline of the boat than the bottom of the mainsail. This twist gives better drive in light air. If the boom pulls the sail down, the twist disappears...   The compromise of course, is that when you don't want twist, you must put on some vang....

Hope that helps
Steve
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 18:11
I can't seem to find a drawing of aluminum backing plate placement for the 371. However, you can look at the 370 drawing and then start looking on your 371 to see if you can find similar features. Some 370 info is located in the manuals and drawings section of this forum as well as http://www.wesailhanse.se/370_manuals.htm

In any case, here's a picture of the setup for a cockpit traveler on a 370/400....

You want to use a Lewmar Ocean Heavy duty beam track size 2
http://www.lewmar.com/node/11918. You will need to select the appropriate car, ends stops, etc. There are actually some traveler kits that Lewmar sells but I'm not sure they come with the right track that you need.

I used a coarse/fine tune main sheet system (6:1 & 24:1) for a couple of years and is likely a good place to start. Take a look at page 128 of the Lewmar catalog http://www.lewmar.com/Catalogue/Catalogue%20Edition%2014%20LR.pdf 

Hope that helps, as I said, it's how the 370/400s are setup and hopefully there aren't significant differences in the 371 that make the info useless.

Cheers
Steve
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2016 at 21:22
Hello Robert,

regarding the boom vang you should take a look at the Hanse 370 forum. There was a longer describtion regarding a brogen spring inside the boom. Generally speaing the spring is too long or too strong for what you are expecting!

Regarding the traveller: Hanse where using X-Tracks from Pfeiffer Marine, the same size than the selftacker. If you look at Harken etc. you should go for Midrange size with working loads around 1-1,5t. High beam track and you are fine.

If you send me your telefon number via PM or via Thomas U. we can have a chat in german!

BR Thomas 
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Paule70 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paule70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2016 at 08:27
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the prompt and detailed answer!
I understand and agree on your arguments regarding the weight of the boom should not flatten the mainsail in light wind when going downwind.
What makes me wary is that no yacht I have owned or sailed had this massive pressure.
I tried to loose the vang one time when going downwind and it looked awful! The boom raised so much that the sail was like a sack. When the vang keeps the boom around 90° to the mast the boom will not flatten the sail. But on my boat I have to pull the control line massively to get the boom horizontal.

My question now is whether this is normal on a 371 or do I have probably a modified vang position or a modified spring in the vang.

BR
Robert

Paule70 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paule70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2016 at 08:28
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for the offer, you got a PM.

BR
Robert
mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2016 at 15:40
I have exactly the same set-up but used Harken instead of Lewmar, and the same set-up for sheeting ratio (6:1 , 24:1). But, I installed a Windward sheeting car system for traveller which negates the need for blocks and cam cleats like Rubuto uses. It is slightly more expensive but works great and you do not lose the little bit of seating space aft of traveller.
Have a look here

Also go up a size on the traveller because of the unsupported distance between the seats. 

Some don't like the "loss of space" but you can't walk between the wheel and seat any ways (on 370) so it is minor. Even the Admiral (my wife) didn't mind.

Mike P

mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2016 at 15:42
How old is the sail?
It may have lost shape and vang does not do what you expect.  
mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
 Post Reply Post Reply