myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine failure and goes down (74hp)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geral@motorway.pt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine failure and goes down (74hp)
    Posted: 05 September 2016 at 15:45
05/SET/2016

Dear Sirs,

I did the trip between Algarve and Lisbon in my 470e (FREEDOM), 130 NM, always with the engine running, without any problem. I arrived on the 16/August/2016, the fuel tank have, aprox., 110 lt..

Last Sunday, 04/SET/2016, I intend to go out to sea. I start the engine, and immediately the engine starts to loose REV and goes down.

On May/2016, I changed the diesel Filters ans checked the interior of fuel tank (100% clean) because the engine had the same behavior, just out of Barcelona. I used Hanmar mechanics in CASTELON-SPAIN.
The true is that we don't descover nothing that could be responsible for this failure!!! Scaring!!!
It's also true that I did 100hr engine running from Castelon to Lisboa without any kind of engine problems.

After this trip, I did 50 more hours without problems.

I've been  using the boat every day, maximum 6 ou 7 days unattended.

I think that the problem can be related with an entrance of Air in the circuit when I leave the boat alone for, at least, 2 weeks.

Note: Since my first contact with my "new" boat 470e, May/2016, it happened to me 2 or 3 times, trying to start the engine and it goes down immediately and only on the second attempt it starts to work properly. I never saw this Behavior on Diesel Engines!!

Someone has experience in this matter?

Regards,

Pedro Mendes Pinto
Hanse 470e FREEDOM 

Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2016 at 22:41
Fuel lift pump diaphragm failing maybe? Can bypass it with an electrical fuel pump if necessary.

Mark
Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
Pride of Waterford View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pride of Waterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2016 at 14:31
Systematic check suggested.
Need to see if fuel is getting through as suggested.
So take the pipe off the lift pump and see if it flows. Also could check pressure at the injectors however this looks like a restricted flow problem.
Could be secondary or primary filter but you said you changed filters, both?
Good luck.

Brod Port Lairge
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2016 at 20:44
Have you checked the glass bowl to make sure water hasn't got in to the pipes ?
Jon B
470e
http://www.norse-king.blogspot.co.uk
GlenWho View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenWho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 16:48
Originally posted by JoenB JoenB wrote:

Have you checked the glass bowl to make sure water hasn't got in to the pipes ?

Did you get it fixed and find out what the problem was?

Edited by GlenWho - 20 October 2021 at 16:24
Switch
Geral@motorway.pt View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geral@motorway.pt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2017 at 17:15
Dear Sir,

We found a very very small leak in the Diesel PreFilter.

We change the element and all the rubbers and we solve the problem.

Regards,
 Post Reply Post Reply