myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anchor that fit on the bow roller

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anchor that fit on the bow roller
    Posted: 26 September 2016 at 15:41
Hi all,

I have a 16kg Delta anchor (which is really light for the 12,500 kg of the boat - but we rarely had problems with this one, I admit) + 60 m of 10 mm chain.

Still, I would like to upgrade to a bigger anchor and more chain, for better nights. My current choice is to go for a 20 kg Rocna and 100 m of chain ; we sail in the Med, and rarely go to marinas (once per month).

We already upgraded to a vertical windlass (lewmar V3), installed closed to the bow roller, so there is plenty of room for the chain to drop.

My concern is about the 20 kg anchor's shank : wouldn't is be too long and overlap the anchor locker's lid ?

What anchors do you use on your factory bow roller ? How does it fit ?

Can you fix the anchor while sailing using the standard stainless steel bar at the top of the bow roller ?

Thank you for your help !
arie View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2016 at 09:54
This a Rocna 20 kg on a 370 (2008). Should work on a 430 I suspect . Much better holding ; we are also sailing in the Med . Rocna site has detailed drawing of dimensions. We only needed to drill a bigger hole in the Rocna to accomodate the standard Hanse securisation bolt . The 'point' of the anchor comes close to the hull , hence we place two wooden blocks to keep distance
A
Free Stile . Hanse 370 #452. Sailing Aegean Sea from Leros, Greece
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2016 at 10:22
Thanks !

I already checked the drawings... but being away from the boat, I cannot tell if the extra shank's length will fit.

Thank you for the picture ! I am not sure the bow roller is larger on the 430 than on the 370 (based on your photo), but it should -at least - be similar. Your photo is really helping.

Good to know that I will have to drill/galvanise the securisation hole.
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2017 at 21:53
Hi !

Here's the first shot of our new Rocna (25kg) on the (unmodified) H430 bow roller:

Surprisingly, the hole is right on spot to let the bolt pass through the shank... alas, it also needs to be drilled a bit to accomodate the bolt.

We finally went for the 25kg version (following Rocna's recommendations), after making sure it fits between the bow roller and the windlass.
That is a big beast, it will hold way better for sure but it's going to be a daily challenge to get it into and out of the water without touching the hull...

nibheis
https://agile4life.blog

Edited by nibheis - 31 March 2017 at 15:58
Pimpam View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pimpam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2019 at 21:30
Hi,
what is your experience with the 25kg anchor ? Has it harmed the hull ? It looks very big...
nibheis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nibheis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2019 at 11:32
Hi!

We've been sailing 16 months with it, living "off the hook" for more than 12 months (in the med and atlantic), in all kind of weather.

This anchor (recommended size for the 430) worked really well (with 80m of chain and big chain hooks). Getting it back on board is not that difficult. I usually pull on the chain manually for the last 2 meters (just to get the anchor from the water to the bow roller) - and hull is fine!

While you can also do that with the windlass, chances are that you will hit the hull (and that was already the case with the 16kg Delta) or that if you stop too early (at the shackle level) that the windlass will not be able to lift the anchor... or that the anchor will not be in the right position.

Also related to the weight of the anchor, with 18m of water the windlass starts to struggle a bit to lift everything from the bottom. 20m should be still ok. In some places, there are no alternatives and you need to do that :-S

Best regards,
nibheis

Edited by nibheis - 29 January 2019 at 11:33
 Post Reply Post Reply