myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simrad Instrument Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D0bbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simrad Instrument Problem
    Posted: 21 October 2016 at 08:22

Hi

I have a Simrad wind/speed & depth system.

Problem is the speed & depth gauges often display blank lines, albeit not together, but it's as though there is a loss of signal. I don't know whether this is a normal function but it's always happened since I took second ownership of the boat. 

However, in the last few days when I fire up the system the depth gauge displays the correct depth for a few seconds then reboots itself. This happens three or four times then eventually goes blank as it did yesterday while the speed gauge remains functional.

When I purchased the boat I integrated a Raymarine EV100 tiller auto pilot into the Simrad system which has been fantastic. This has nothing to do with the problem above but if I had to replace any of the equipment I would change over to Raymarine.

Is the through hull depth transducer similar to remove as the log paddle and just pulls out after removing the locking cap?

Has anyone changed from Simrad to any other brand, if so any recommendations?

Any help would be appreciated

Bob

Edited by D0bbies - 21 October 2016 at 11:45
2005 312, Tiller, Engine 2GM20, SD20 Saildrive. Facnor SD 130 Furler.
Forth View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2016 at 12:08
I installed a Raymarine E7D echoplotter on my H315.

It was possible to use the old EchoSensor. These are all Airmar sensors anyway.

I just soldered the old echo sensor leads to the E7D echo sensor plug.
The sensor works just fine. With my old IS echo display, it mostly displayed ---
so the sensor was just fine. The IS12 echo display was crap.

I also reused the speed sensor, but since the temp sensor was broken I had to
solder a 10 Kohm resistor over the temp sensor leads.
Now I am always sailing in warm waters LOL.
The Raymarine databox does not recognize the speed sensor unless it believes that
a temp sensor is present, so it had to be fooled.

If you buy new sensor, check these are low profile sensors that fit under floorboards.
I think many sensors have a high profile and do not fit.

Mike
D0bbies View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D0bbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2016 at 13:43
Hi Mike and thanks for your reply.

The thing is, it might not be the transducer itself but the central computer but I've yet to investigate this. But if as you say the Raymarine "SeaTalkng" can interpret both the original depth/speed tranducers, does this apply to the wind vane transducer too? If so I could look at changing the whole caboodle like you have.

Did you also replace your cockpit instruments to Raymarine? If so would you mind telling me exactly what you bought and did you fit them your self?

Thanks
Bob

Edited by D0bbies - 21 October 2016 at 20:49
Pride of Waterford View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pride of Waterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2016 at 08:51
Assume you have separate depth and speed transducers. It is possible that the depth transducer is faulty. Suggest you see if the local simrad agent will lend you one to test , just put in a bucket of water inside the boat ,if it works then replace the faulty one. The through hull transducers seem to be very effective, best adhesive I have heard is blu tack!!. You might want to consider replacing with a tridata if thats possible then the whole unit can be changed just like your log. Changing the depth unit just take your time with the boat out of the water and peel away sealant and carefully pull out. Might find it easier with two people one pushing inside and someone pulling outside. Good luck with this.
Brod Port Lairge
Forth2 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forth2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 07:12
Bob,
In order to convert analog transducer inputs to SeatalkNg you need the
Raymarine ITC-5 Instrument Transducer Converter.
I got a Raymarine windvane that fits the ITC-5.
Don't know if any other windwanes can fitted to the ITC-5.

http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=3338

I replaced all my instruments with Raymarine.
- i70 multifunction display
- i70 autopilot display
- e7d multifunction plotter
- rudder angle sensor
- ev100 wheel pilot
- windwane
- itc-5
- seatalk ng cables and connectors
- instrument pods for wheel mount.

I fitted everything myself.

Mike

Edited by Forth2 - 23 October 2016 at 07:20
D0bbies View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D0bbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 14:46
Hi

I needed to raise this post again as I've just relaunched my boat after the winter layup and the depth sounder doesn't work. Apart from one fleeting moment it just displays "---".

I should have tested the transducer whilst on the hard standing but didn't, probably to my regret (££££).

Can anyone explain why they are not removable from inside the cabin as is the speed log"

Anyway, my question is: Can a transducer be intermittent or does it just die? I ask because most electronic gizmo's either work or they don't, and this one has been intermittent. I would hate to buy a new transducer and find it's not the problem.

"Pride of Waterford" suggested asking Simrad if they would lend me one to try, but unless somebody knows differently I doubt that they would.

Any suggestions from experiences of a failing transducer would be most helpful.

Many thanks
Bob

Edited by D0bbies - 02 April 2017 at 14:48
Bitbaltic View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitbaltic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 17:36
Don't really know what the problem with the kit is but IS15 in getting very old now. If you upgrade to a modern N2K system (from whatever manufacturer- I have Simrad IS20 but Raymarine should be similar) you will have two advantages directly related to these problems:

1) an N2K system will use a single, combined depth/speed transducer. This can be pulled out while in the water for cleaning and checking (and more importantly fitting in the first place) which, as you say, can't be done with the IS15 generation depth through-hull. Whichever manufacturer you go with you should be able to choose an Airmar combi transducer to go with it which will fit into the existing mount for your IS15 speed through-hull, which is probably going to be compatible with either the DST800 or the DST850 transducer- see here but do check with your supplier.

2) the through-hull transmits N2K data directly to the head unit or any connection you like on the network. So no need for a "control box" to interpret the analogue signals and create the NMEA as per IS15, which as you say might just well be the source of your woes as the depth transducer.

Let's say the problem is the control box not the transducer. Control boxes for the IS15 system occasionally turn up on ebay often priced around a couple of hundred quid. The way I see it this would be quite a long way towards a new N2K depth and log instrument anyway. Alternatively lets say it is the depth sensor. Analogue depth sensors for your IS15 setup (claimed to be compatible) are in the fifty quid range BUT you are going to have to lift the boat to fit one it seems, and that is going to be a couple of hundred quid as well.

To keep this old IS15 system running you might need to spend two, three hundred quid and you still have an obsolete system which will be hard to sort should other faults occur. I'm afraid I don't know what to look for in the Raymarine range but the Navico option nowadays would be a B&G Triton with the appropriate Airmar transducer: Cactus are doing a pack for £750. http://www.cactusnav.com/triton-speeddepth-pack-with-p-12057.html?cPath=1117_64_66_68

All depends on budget of course but in truth this might be the time to upgrade- right at the start of the season too so you get maximum benefit.

The third way is if you trace the problem to the depth transducer you could possibly replace it with an in-hull bonded unit rather than a through hull. Don't know anything about those though or their compatibility, so that would be a question for Simrad I think.

Edited by Bitbaltic - 02 April 2017 at 17:37
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 19:01
Nearly all Sensors are from Airmar. I would ask them about the sensor and how your could check it independently from your IS15. I would expect that the sensor needs 12V and should give back some data you should be able to measure. Maybe your blackbox died maybe your sensor or maybe just a bad connection. 

Then you can decide what to do next...
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Graham342 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham342 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 21:11

Edited by Graham342 - 08 August 2020 at 17:26
D0bbies View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D0bbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2017 at 18:01
Thank you to everyone for you input, and especially to Graham and Bitbaltic for your detailed information, which I'm now closely considering.

I went to the boat today to have a ponder and found the depth instrument to be working, albeit intermittently. Whilst I had a depth reading I monitored the NMEA data going to the chart plotter and here is an image with highlighted sentences:

Here is another image when the instrument stopped reading and indicated "---"

There is obviously a lack of depth data in the second image, albeit I see the water temperature !! Would seem that part of the transducer is working. Unfortunately I didn't look at to see if the temperature was indicated on the instrument.

Your thoughts would be welcome?

Thanks again
Bob

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>