myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simrad Instrument Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2017 at 17:21
Originally posted by iemand iemand wrote:

For using IS20 with your IS15 you need an AT10 Converter for 183 to NMEA2000. Furthermore you would need a separate power supply 

If you get a IS20 Graphic there will be an NMEA0183 input socket on the back. If you lead a RobLink cable from the IS15 to it the data will be displayed on the IS20. I experimented with this when I visited a friend's boat in Holland a few years ago and you found one of the threads where I was talking about this, Bob. I don't seem to be able to found the other thread at this moment.

It is correct that you will need attach a SimNet cable to the IS20 display for power supply. That SimNet cable can then be used to feed other instruments with NMEA2000 data.

My experiment was entirely aimed at finding out if you could replace an IS15 instrument with an IS20. There is a conversion between NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 made in the IS20 so there is no need for an AT10.

I have a few damaged IS20 displays that I no longer use. I would be willing to give away one of them if you want to try this solution.

Hope this helps,

Johan
skipper View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2017 at 23:44
Hi guys,

the 2 last seasons did my IS15 depth display worked from time to time.

I tried to listen and feel with my hand on the Airmar depth transducer, no sound that I could hear with my ear and no vibration detected by my fingers.

Searched and found a tip to use a LW radio to check if the transducer worked,
yes I could hear a noice on 198 kHz (didn't manage to tune the radio to 200kHz that is the correct frekvens).
I disconnected the transducer from the tranceiver to see if there were some voltage, think that was a bad idea because my multiinstrument seem not to work any longer after that.

Okay the LW radio were silent when I switched of the IS15 instrument and the noice get back when I switch on the power again.
Now have I bought a new Airmar depth transducer on eBay in UK.
It is the same Airmar depth transducer for IS12 and IS15, P19 plastic thru hull:
Simrad IS12/IS15 Thru Hull Speed Transducer

Before removing the old transducer did I like to test the new transducer connected temporary to the IS15 tranceiver box behind the el.panel.
But how to test it?
Found after google a lot an Airmar instruction how to use a test kit
http://www.airmar.com/uploads/InstallGuide/17-615-01.pdf

I will use this method to do a sanity check that the new transducer will resolve my problem
Test Set-up: Transducer IMPORTANT: Transducer Results taken in a tank will be different from those taken in deeper water.Testing can be done in a 5 to 10 gal. bucket with a minimum of 12 inches of water. However, test results may be inconsistent due to reflections. The transducer can be tested in one of two ways: • Mounted in a hull with the boat in water. • Suspended in a tank of water (Figure 1).

If this test fails that would indicate that the old transducer mounted thru the hull might be okay and the root cause is the IS15 tranceiver.

Plan B could be to return the new transducer and investigate other options:
* new transducer to be connected to SImrad CP31 chartplotter with one connection labelled DEPTH
or
* follow one of the ideas in this interesting thread.

Edited by skipper - 16 April 2017 at 23:51
Cheers,
Skipper
Former owner of Hanse 342 2005 (Sparcraft mast, white hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, short rudder)
D0bbies View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D0bbies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 08:06
As promised I am posting back the results of the problem with my depth transducer.

Since factory resetting the IS15 system I'm pleased to say that I've not encountered any further problems with the depth or any other gauge.

I suppose most electronic circuits become confused from time to time just like a Windows based computer!! If there's a problem, reboot it and it will probably be fine.

Anyway, by posting this I hope I don't have bad luck!!

Bob
2005 312, Tiller, Engine 2GM20, SD20 Saildrive. Facnor SD 130 Furler.
Speedy Nice View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2017 at 11:32

Hi all,

About 5 years ago I start getting punctual reboots in my IS-15 instruments. After many tries I found the problem was the main halyard damaging the electrical cable of the IS-15 Windvane, making a short-circuit.

I fixed the cable and I reinforced it with a plastic tube to save from the main halyard and until now it all working fine.

José Pires
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123