myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windlass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DB342 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windlass
    Posted: 10 November 2016 at 11:53
I would like to install a windlass to my Hanse 342.  Does anyone have any experience of fitting one and what is the recommended windlass to use?  How do I install the tray/plynth?
DB342
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 19:37
@DB342

Not much response on this?

Well most windlasses are Lewmar and so is mine, but I don't recall wich size. As for the installation, I would have thought the console / tray would be pre-installed on all 342s. But, maybe not? Is your anchor locker empty?

Ole,

Kirkelund

"Amani"
Lynetten, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hanse 342 (grey hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, Jefa rudder - RUD34)
Interlude View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Interlude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 07:16
Interlude came fitted with a Horizon 900 horizontal winch, with chain gypsy only.  I remounted it higher than the platform to give the 30 m chain more room to drop into the anchor well.  If I was to replace it I would try to get a version with the drum for a rope as well as the chain gypsy.  Make sure you match the chain to the gypsy.  You will need heavy wiring from the battery compartment, there is an 80 amp fuse in the line to the winch.
Interlude 342#241
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 07:49
The advantage of the rope drum is, that you might use the winch also for halyards. We used the anchor winch extensively on a 45" charter katamaran in the Caribbbean.
Frank
robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 10:48
I think you will find information and pictures on another part of the forum for installing a platform for a winch on the 341/2, so worth a look and this does not come as standard.
I asked the question about a winch on the Vetus stand at Southampton Boat Show as I was confused about the winch with only a chain capability where I have a rope and chain. The answer I was given was these can handle the rope and the chain, so you don't need the separate drum unless you are intent on using it on much smaller ropes.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,

Rob
"Blue Horizon" Hanse 341#113 Portsmouth Harbour UK
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2016 at 21:42
Having bought my Hanse 341, I had a windlass fitted.  It is a Lewmar Pro Series 700 and I use it with 50m of 7mm chain.  (That does make the bow of my yacht go down a bit, but you have more buoyancy at the front on a 342.)  The engineers fitted a ply shelf (20mm thick?) across the whole of the back of the anchor locker and it is glassed in on the sides and back.   The wiring goes down the port side of the hull, presumably down the same space that the bow navigation light wiring goes, as the wiring goes out of the locker high underneath the deck on the port side.    

The breaker is mounted on the small bulkhead between the instrument panel and the forward saloon port locker, so that all the wiring is in the normal electrical panel and you access the reset button for the breaker near the chainplate supports.   The contactor (high current solenoid operated switch) is mounted in the electrical panel.   

The socket for the hand held control unit is mounted on the shelf.  Whilst it is classed as a waterproof socket, the engineers completely forgot that the back is open and so the wiring failed this year because of corrosion after 5 years.   The wiring comes into the anchor locker,, down through a hole in the shelf and then to up to the socket and the windlass.  For the replacement, what I have now done is taken a plastic container (like you get vitamin tables in) drilled a hole through the cap for the cable to the socket and glued the cap under the shelf where the socket is mounted.  I then drilled a hole in the base of the container, threaded the wires through this hole, up through the hole in the shelf and then wired them in to the socket.  Having wired up the socket and secured it to the shelf, I then screwed up the container onto its cap and sikaflexed the hole in the base, so hopefully now the back of the socket is proofed against water. 

A friend has a recent Hanse 345 with a chain and rope anchor rode and he has expressed concern about how the rope chain splice seems to be getting damaged as it goes through the gypsy.  
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
MatMol View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MatMol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2017 at 10:21
I am also planning to install a windlass this winter. My 342 Sylvia has an "empty" anchor locker so i have to start from the beginning and build a framework for a Maxvell HRC 8 windlass with 30m stainless steel chain and 30 14mm rope. I would be grateful if anyone have pictures of solutions for guidance of my plans. 

MM

MM
robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 03:41
Martin&Rene, why do you say above "you have more buoyancy on a 342? To my knowledge the 341 and 342 are virtually the same boat? The 342 just has what I would describe as cosmetic changes.

Cheers,

Rob
"Blue Horizon" Hanse 341#113 Portsmouth Harbour UK
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2017 at 00:15
I had an aluminum shelf made for my Hanse 371 windlass after the original ply shelf failed. See this post:

Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2017 at 21:21
Rob

Sorry for the delay , but I have only just seen your question.  The main reason why I had a good look at a second hand 341 at a boat show was because I had seen a really good review of a 342, but it did say it was  "based on the 341, but substantially modified at the ends."  However, I reckoned that the difference would not be too significant for normal sailing.

The specifications give the waterline length of a 341 as 8.90m, and for the 342 as 9.20m.  i.e. for us Brits over a foot difference.  Our 341 was basically berthed next door to a 342 and you could see that the stem was significantly more vertica and so there would be more buoyancy therel.  A visiting 342 came in to our Marina and they even had the corner of the stem-keel out of the water!    I reckon that J&V felt a change was needed when they found out that us cruising types actually have an anchor and chain on board and even dare to put some water in the tank and so some more buoyancy was needed at the front.  I think the changes at the stern are very small.  I can certainly tell how much water I have in the tank, just by looking at the bow immersion.

I have never sailed against a 342, so do not know how significant the changes were. 
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>