myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints and Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Osmotic blisters on the rudder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaChris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Osmotic blisters on the rudder
    Posted: 12 August 2012 at 06:50
Has anyone experienced osmotic blister on the rudder?This year there are some more blisters then last year, maybe 20. Someone said that this is a sign of bad quality in the buildingprocess but treatment may not actually help. On the other hand some blisters doesn´t make any danger or at least it´s overexaggerated. My boat is station close to a riveroutled an therfor a lot of freshwater. The hull is epoxy (370 e) and should not be affected with osmosis and doesn´t show any signs of it. But the rudder surprized me
hawkeye View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 02:20
The hull is epoxy, but the rudder is polyester, and as a result is susceptible to osmosis.
You should repair the blisters, sand back to the gel coat and give the rudder several coats of an epoxy sealer to prevent ongoing issues. We did this before launching and have never had any blisters. You should also drop the rudder regularly when the boat is on the hard stand and check for corrosion on the aluminium stock. It only takes half an hour and is an essential safety check in my view.
Hawkeye Embarrassed
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 06:46
Hawkeye is absolutely right.
I would only like to emphasize on the issue of repairing the blisters: it should not be viewed as a cosmetic operation! I suggest to remove a lot of material around the blister then sand to the gelcoat and then let the rudder in a warm place for the liquids in the holes to evaporate.
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
MarcoC View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2012 at 07:38
I had that problem year one and two and the only way to get rid of the problem was to change the rudder blade as Hanse could not get their heads around the problem. Look here: http://www.wesailhanse.se/370_rudder_en.htm and here

http://www.myhanse.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4476&OB=DESC&PN=4&title=bubbles-on-the-rudder

Marco

Edited by MarcoC - 29 August 2012 at 07:43
"Älva"

Hanse 370#671

Stockholm, Sweden

www.wesailhanse.se big wheel, deep draught iron keel, 3 cabins,Yanmar 3JH4E, Sparcraft rig.
alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2012 at 08:56
I looked at the pictures in your post from 2012 and see blisters , but can not see if it is in the polyester or in the paint ( looks like paint) but wenn you take off all the paint this winter you should post some pictures of how it looks.
wenn it is raelly osmosit you should strip off the gelcoat and put a new layer of epoxy with reinforcement on it  and then make it smooth again by sanding it.
succes
gr marcel
Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic