myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints and Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yanmar forced Hanse !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yanmar forced Hanse !
    Posted: 15 February 2016 at 21:06

The 3 blade folding prop on our 470 is supplied by Flexofold and it is the 18 x 13 - 3L, it has suffered from some galvanic or electrolysis pitting, nothing too serious as I found out but set me off talking to the manufacturer.  It turns out

18x13-3L for engine 4JH4E, 54hp/3000rpm (1:2,32), back then Yanmar forced Hanse to make sure that the prop could make +6% than the rated max Rpms, so if you happen to have a 74hp engine then the prop is undersized and your loosing out.

Standard prop as supplied at purchase

A 20x13-3L is what you should have, so I've ordered one.  I'm hoping that at the same normal cruising revs of 2,200rpm the distance covered will increase and during manoeuvring antics I should have more power to stop and go sooner.  I'll let you know how it performs this season, I burn about 4.5l/hr this won't change but I should cover more distance in that hour than I did (ignoring tides for now).

So if anyone is after a second hand 18x13-3L as seen let me know.

Jon B
470e
http://www.norse-king.blogspot.co.uk
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2016 at 08:11
Hi Jon,
interesting to here! On my Saildrive it's installed a Gori Propeller 19x15-3L, together with the 75hp engine. Normally I run with 1800rpm in the Override-Mode of the Propeller and make 7,5kn Speed. Consumption is 5ltr.! If I switch over in the normal Mode and run up to maximum of the Motor I run 3600rpm and 8,7kn! I do this normally once a year for 45min. The reason therefor is to clean my Turbolader.
May, the right size of a Gori Propeller will be the right one for you, too!!
best regards

Bjoern

http://www.sy-serafina.de
Hanse 470e #165

JonB View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2016 at 08:37
You have the 15" pitch too, be interesting to see how it compares to the Flexofold. There's another good reason to run the engine hard for a while and that's to get the exhaust hot, burning off any condensation and therefore prolonging its life.

Yours is the turbo'd version and so may have the heat already well down the tubes.

Edited by JonB - 16 February 2016 at 20:24
Jon B
470e
JonB View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2016 at 20:58
New 20" x 13" prop as supplied by Flexofold for my 74 hp engine, not only is it 1" larger in diameter but each of its blades are 1" deeper.  I estimate about a 20% increase in performance or fuel saving.  I'll keep you posted throughout the year.
Jon B
470e
Admirable View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admirable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2016 at 10:09
JonB,

Well done for finding this out! I always thought my boat was under-powered now l know why!!

I will be pleased to hear how you get on.
Cheers

Philip

Songbird

470e
JonB View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 09:09
Norse King was moved from his winter stay to his normal mooring on Friday. We had planned a trip to Weymouth with some friends, a culmination of the Easter break & a birthday celebration, plus of course a shakedown sail. Whilst I ran most electric systems whilst working on board, keeping them powered up ensuring all continued to work & chase any damp out of connections, there's nothing like a sail to discover what's missing or put back incorrectly.

However here in the UK, the weather always has the last say with any plans & I kept an eye on the degenerating weather charts. Friday looked to be the best day, providing what would be a lovely trip and the tide worked well. However from this point forward, gale force wind & rain would scupper our plans to return home on the Monday. So the trip cancelled.

With the new larger, clean prop, we cast our lines allowing the wind to blow us off. There was a small finger pontoon to my starboard side near the bow and behind me I had to pass between two boats, then turn to starboard again to miss the pair of rafted yachts at the end of the hammerhead that blocked a clear run out. With reverse selected it didn't take long for the new blades to bite & for me to have control, with what seemed like ease I soon had NK out in to the Medina River. Selecting forward, the wash that was created from clean new blades caught my eye, the boat almost stopped instantly against the fast ebbing tide.

With only 1500rpm, the bow thruster down & the tide against us we were at 4.5 knots SOG. Pleased but remembering the bow thruster I slowed a little. Using the tide we came up against our pontoon and stopped in a second with a touch of reverse.  Only a brief experience but pleased with the increase in what felt like instant control. I'll keep you posted during the year as to other cruising figures.

Our first sail, would've shown us that the electric winch didn't work, plus our wind generator had become noisy !
Jon B
470e
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 10:54
Hello!
Nice to hear about your first experience with the new Prop! Take care about the Speed, if the Bow Thruster is out. In the manual they are warning NOT to go over 3kn STW if the Thruster is out!! The mechanic is not as strong as it should be...
Have a good Season and I hope you can solve the first Problems, too!!
best regards

Bjoern

http://www.sy-serafina.de
Hanse 470e #165

JonB View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 17:29
Agreed, that's why I slowed down when I realised, at least the thruster retracted ok so no issue thankfully.

The winch will be the solenoid, lack of use over the winter.  It's done it before, although I replaced it.

The generator could be one of two things.  The batteries have been on shore power all over winter and so are fully charged, if the regulator understands that no more power is required it will brake, slow the unit down, so causing a vibration.  Also I found a partially melted connector, which may have restricted or prevented current to get through.  This I've replaced and checked those on the batteries but they're cable tied so as to remove any stress on the cables.

Hopefully we can go sailing next weekend and see if I've tied the reefing lines in the right place !
Jon B
470e
JonB View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2016 at 22:06
This weekend we took NK out and with around 1.0 knot of tide against us we were travelling at 6.6 knots for 1600 rpm.

I found that when manoeuvring, I had to go in and out of neutral and feather the throttle to maintain a level of control otherwise the boat speed was too high.  Clearly these are early days but I'll keep you posted.
Jon B
470e
leemind View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leemind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2016 at 15:42
Very, very interesting.  I always thought for a 75hp engine we were a bit underpowered.  Please keep the updates coming.  What are we talking -wise for a new prop? 
Grand Cru
Hanse 461#028
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic