myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints and Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Performance with new folding propeller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Performance with new folding propeller
    Posted: 13 January 2007 at 17:09
I added the Flex-o-Fold folding propeller 2 weeks ago, and today we had ideal low-wind sailing conditions: Steady 5m/s wind, no waves. I wanted to see if the low-wind performance of the boat had improved. I also have a new Harken cockpit-traveller for the mainsail, which also helps.

With the standard fixed propeller, I have typically achieved 45 degrees angles to the wind (true or absolute wind) at around 4-5 knots with the standard 85% self-tacking jib.

With the new propeller, I today could sail consistently at 33 degrees to the wind with the same speed. Wow!! Big%20smile  What an improvement!!! I hope it wasn't just beginner's luck!  With the folding propeller it is noticeable on the tiller that all the "propeller turbulence" is gone - you can also see that the wake is a lot smoother too. And for some reason, there is less noice or vibration when using the engine, with this new propeller.

When you see how sleek and beautiful the hull of the Hanse 315 really is, it is no doubt that propeller drag has an impact on performance!

Now my new 140% Genoa should be coming to Norway in 3 weeks time - that will be fun!
Frode, Stavanger/Norway
Hanse 315 # 390
tremalnaik View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tremalnaik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2007 at 14:50
What about your speed when you go by engine?
Bye
grautvornix View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grautvornix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 16:16
Hi
Where did you purchase the mainsheet traveller from and do you have a photo that you could post, it sounds very interesting.
Frode View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 22:27
Performance with the folding propeller is still about 7 knots - but because of the lower pitch on my propeller (17x11 instead of 16x13) at slightly higher RPM.

The propeller is very responsive both forwards or backwards, so I see no handling issues in Marinas. New folding propellers are very good!
Frode, Stavanger/Norway
Hanse 315 # 390
Frode View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2007 at 22:32
There is a picture of my cockpit traveller in a post some months ago called "Cockpit taveller for Hanse 315?". I purchased it directly from a Harken dealer. I think my solution is easier to use single-handed than Hanse's own solution.

Frode, Stavanger/Norway
Hanse 315 # 390
tremalnaik View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tremalnaik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2007 at 11:45
If about 7 kts is a cruising speed (not a max speed) your prop is really good! I've got a 29 hp engine and a two blades fixed prop and my cruising speed is exactly (light sea) 6,5 kts.

Ciao
Frode View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2007 at 18:22

I checked my motor speed today with the GPS.

RPM 1400 - 3.7 knots
RPM 2000 - 4.8 knots
RPM 2400 - 5.7 knots
RPM 2800 - 6.9 knots
RPM 3500 - 7.2 knots

The engine is the 20hp Yanmar 3YM20. The propeller is a 17x11 folding propeller. With the standard fixed 16x13 propeller, I could get slightly higher speeds at the the higher RPMs.
Frode, Stavanger/Norway
Hanse 315 # 390
DAK1 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 16:22

Hello,

Did Flex-o-Fold specify the 17x11 for your engine/boat configuration? I have a 311 with the 19 hp Volvo 2020 and less waterline length, for which they recommend a 16x10 (to replace the 16x11 original fixed). What's your take on this? Do you think I should exchange it for a 16x11 folder? 
Baltic Breeze
Frode View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 19:07
The 17x11 propeller was the one my Hanse dealer and the Flex-o-fold dealer said was best (for a 2-blade).  I am no expert in this, but in theory 16x11 would give you 10% higher boat speed at all RPMs than the 16x10.

You can ask Flex-o-fold here: http://www.flexofold.com/spec.htm
Frode, Stavanger/Norway
Hanse 315 # 390
mistral View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mistral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2007 at 19:37
hi Frode, I  would put on my hanse 312 a flex o fold prop.
I have too a yanmar 3ym20 with sail drive.
Flex o fold Denmark and Italian dealer says me that the right prop is a 2 blade 16x12 or a 3 blade 16x11.

I refer to you because I know that you put a similar prop 5 months ago.

Do you suggest me a 2 or 3 blades?
Do you think the diameter and pitch suggested are right?

bye, Marco from Italy

P.S. thank you for your suggestion about harken traveller.
mistral
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic