myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dinghy storage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinghy storage
    Posted: 02 January 2017 at 09:27
In the coming season, I would like to take my dinghy with (for the first time), but do not know where to store it. I´m sure there are owners of the 385 which have found a solution. Because I shall sail singlehanded mostly and I can not raise my current dinghy alone on the deck I would prefere a solution at the stern.

This solution is too complex i think:

Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 11:03
We just tow ours if we a,re on a short passage, having lifted the outboard onto the pushpit. On longer passages we have had it on the foredeck (I don't like it there because of visibility issues, or deflate it and store it in the starboard locker. But ours is not a RIB, so we can fold it up. We inflate it again on deck and throw it over the side.

I did look at a 'net davit' from an American firm, who were convinced that it would work on the 385. It works by lowering a big net into the water and then simply wrapping the gander in the net and hauling it up against the stern. I was a bit worried about scratching the gelcoat, but there appear to be lots of them out there.
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 11:19
I also looked at the 'pivot up' Davit idea. We would have to have something custom made, but I quite fancied the idea of having some made that can be removed. Have a look at this for ideas.

http://www.dinghydavitsystems.com/pivotupdinghydavitsystems.html

The pivot system looks so neat, the issue is how to manage with the bathing platform. I wondered if we could make plates that fit by removing the hinges and clamping the plate next to the hinge. This would raise the bathing platform by the width of the plate, but on our boat the retaining fitting for the bolts are mounted on little spacers, so may be this would work. I would then want the pivot davit who be removable from this plate somehow, leaving as little as possible on the stern.
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 11:25
My only othe,r crazy thought is having carbon poles fitted next to the toe rails on each side of the boat that we could extend out behind the boat and fit a couple of hand billies for the dinghy. Like the carbon boawsprits made by Seldon for an asymmetric flying sail.

My basic problem is that I don't want traditional Daviits, I don't like the look of them.
Bandy View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 12:00
You might have a look at www.dinghyrings.com I ran into them on the Mets show. They are from Sweden. I am not sure were you can buy them outside od Sweden.

Bandy, Hanse 411 2003
Ida View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 13:03
Thanks for good Ideas I didn´t know yet. But I´m not convinced of any system I know.

- Usually I go backwards in my box for easy boarding.
- By strong waves and heel over the dinghy must not touch the water

So I hope that other owners will send their solution with a photo here.
Scotchmist View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 15:55
I know it's a bit of a faff but we store the dinghy in the small rear cabin all rolled up in it's bag and on a ground sheet. It still leaves room for one person to sleep in there or if necessary it can be hauled out into the cabin over night. If we're using it regularly, between anchorages, we keep it semi inflated on the coach roof, tied down. It doesn't significantly inhibit vision there, when we're under way.
I much prefer this to storing it inflated at the stern or towing it.
Andrew

Scotch Mischief Dehler 38 by Hanse
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2017 at 18:37
On my 370 I have a pair of Plastimo(??) davits I brought off eBay mounted on the stern platform (all of 200mm wide on the 370).  With these I can easily lift a Walker Bay 8 up single handed.  The dinghy now stays on them when in in the marina - but tilted vertically rather than horizontally as when I'm sailing.  That way it does not fill with water.
I do not store the outboard on the dinghy when on the davits.  I think they would stand the weight (its a Suzuki 2Hp 4 stroke so very light).  The only difficulty I have is lifting this off the dinghy onto the pushpit rail single handed.  Not impossible to do by needs some skill to avoid it taking a swim!

I've also found that I need to secure the dinghy laterally when sailing otherwise it moves to and fro across the stern.  A couple of lines from the dinghy bow and stern into some cheap plastic cleats does the job :-)
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 07:55
This i found on the internet, not a traditional one :), maybe this can inspire you. It suits also for solar panels etc... build on a 415. I don't know the company who created this.

At least you can say it looks really strong !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAxV4x6IY88
Best regards
/C
Ida View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 18:38
Thanks to all. Youtube says: "this video is not avaible" Text is in german but i am in Netherland for a few days. Could someone make a screenshot?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>