myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holding Tank Size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holding Tank Size
    Posted: 02 May 2022 at 12:39
To be fair, there have been improvements since 2012, and although the holding tanks are still too small they do at least have Gobius sensors to alert you when they are filling up!
The bow fitting on my 2015 boat came with eyes to fit a bobstay to support the spinnaker and the current boats are offered with a beefed up double roller that (I am told) does not require reinforcement.
Many of the boats now have the swim ladder integrated into the stern platform, but I actually prefer not to have this trip hazard and keep the one that can be fully removed.
I live aboard and enjoy my beer cold and ice in my G&T and love the design of the fridge, although we probably prefer to buy proteins fresh rather than storing it.

I have my own gripes (the non-draining shower in the 385 which was carried forward from the 370, and the reduced size galley moving up from 385 to 458) but I still love my Hanse.

I am sure that there will be many new features in the new designs starting with the 460.  Some will be loved, and others not so much.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
captn Blair View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captn Blair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 11:19
Hi  Yeap my 400 2012 model has these small holding tanks.    Whats wrong with hanse. Like the fridge the tanks are too to small and with no real sensor.    In theory there is a visual slot to view the tank but the plastic is not translucent enough to be able to tell the depth

We owned the boat two years now and yes had too nasty overflows with sewage escaping.

Yes the boat is good but there are poor design issues.   Like the anchor apron not strong enough for a code zero, fresh water tanks too small, fridge ridiculous for anything but a overnight sail.  swim ladder mridiculous heavy and bulky thing plus as usual too short   should of been designed into the stern platform 

Perhaps the fridge and all are ok for short cruises with only a few aboard bu in NZ there are very few places to restock.  yes we have tons of safe anchorages and once outside the city few marina
Captn Blair
JoergK View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoergK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2017 at 04:19
Hello All,

thanks for your postings and I don't want to put the Hanse 385 or 415 down. I love the handling and balance of the 385 and believe the 415 is as good if not better, but why can't a German company with the German environmental standards not build a 39-42' boat with a serious holding tank?

It looks to me that none of the new boat buyers look at this 'igitigit, we don't talk about thus sh*tty issues, honey'. I appreciate the gravity unloading of the standard 35 L waste tank, but Hanse, please work just a little harder and you have a boat that has nothing missing. Do the planners ever spend two or three weeks on the boats they build? Perhaps they should. I would give my left arm to have the chance to sail thus prototypes and tell the drafts men what they need to change, it is not difficult, just remove yourself from the day-sailor mentality and you will understand what I mean.

Why should I spend $500-$1000 to install a larger tank on a $330,000 boat?

Looking at a Catalina 425 with 250L waste tank tells me that some engineers understand what we need.

Not giving up hope.

Cheers, Joerg 
alidal View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alidal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2017 at 09:28
Have a look here: 

Edited by alidal - 25 January 2017 at 09:30
Hanse 400#655
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2017 at 07:11
The 345 has the same issue. I have installed a additional 50 ltr black water tank behind the panel in the shower and a 125 ltr grey water holding tank in the cockpit locker. The latter was installed at the yard and I heard that Hanse works with a local yard for upgrading the black/Grey water Holding tank capacities.
Frank
AndyS View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2017 at 02:57
Joerg:
We bought our 2012 385 this past summer so I only have about 6 months experience with the boat so far. But you are correct that the holding tank is very small! We installed an electronic sensor on the tank so that I have an idea of how full the tank is without having to remove the panel in the head. It works well. I do know that some people have installed an extra (larger) holding tank under the port aft berth where there is quite a bit of space. I am thinking of looking into that at some point. The 385 is a terrific boat, and hopefully the small holding tank won't keep you from looking into it further.
Andy

Andy
Moonraker
River Dunes, NC
JoergK View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoergK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2017 at 01:04
Hello,

My wife and I just sailed a 385 in the British Virgin Islands and I am fascinated with the boat for the handling in stronger winds (25-30kn) and the speed under the relative small self tacking jip.

Then came the head and holding tank. Being use to hold several days of waste until in deeper waters, I did not worry about the holding tank until, after 1.5 day I could not pump the head out anymore and my wife mentioned some rotten smell when she was sitting at the helm. I opened the sea valve to discharge the tank and looked the capacity up: 35 liter = 9.24 US gallons.

How does Hanse get away with this miniature holding tank? Similar vessels have 150-190 liter = 40-50 US gallons.

It probably ended my Hanse dream to buy a 385 or 415.

Does anyone know were to install a larger holding tank in a 385 or 415?

Cheers, Joerg

Post Reply Post Reply