myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 445/455/458
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fridge/freezer storage on 455

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fridge/freezer storage on 455
    Posted: 28 February 2017 at 02:33
I'm asking for some opinions on the fridge/freezer storage on the 455.  Assuming there hasn't been any changes from the 445, opinions from 445 owners would also be appreciated. I'm considering purchasing a 455.

I'm wondering if you feel the amount of fridge/freezer storage is adequate for long cruising.  To me it looks on the small side.  And the front opening door seems tiny.

Also, I'm attaching the picture of the Webasto unit on the 455 (445?). Can someone explain what this looks like on the inside?  Is it two separate compartments, or are they connected?  One freezer and one fridge?   

I thank you all in advance for any advice and opinions.

/cc

/cc
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 07:28
This is one fridge with two openings. And a little freezer inside. Same as on my 370e.
You can find a lot of info on 370 and 400 threads.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 12:18
This is the standard freezer for all Hanses. You have one opening from the top which we mostly use for storing softdrinks, wine and beer, as well as a grab bag for vegetables. The lower door, which is visible in your photo gives you access to two shelves on which I have 2 plastic containers as drawers.
Inside the fridge you have a small freezer compartment which serves to make ice cubes.

My main critical point is that the thermostat setter and the temperature sensor is inside the freezer compartment. If you can insist that they move the temp sensor into the fridge. I have fitted a small laptop fan to get an even temperatur profile in the freezer. It takes some time after start-up for the freezer to cool stuff down ( espcially to American drinking temps :) ). This is the reason why we keep the freezer going on shore power during the season.

Please note that the freezer has a cut off voltage of 11.0 Volts, this will kill the AGM batteries! I learned it the hard way when a nice visitor unplugged my shore power = > 1000 € cost.  Angry
I have then fitted a cut off switch between the panel and the fridge supply which is adjustable and set it to 12.2 Volts, this means that you still have 60% of the battery bank capacity.

Frank
cec View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 15:45
Thanks a ton for the comments.  I'll head over to the 370/400 forums.  Plus, thank you Frank for the description and the tip on the regulation and cutoff.  Very helpful.

/cc
/cc
DotandDash View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DotandDash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 18:57
We are just completing the commissioning of our new Hanse 455. We ordered it with the optional second refrigerator drawer, but that was a Dometic CD-30 1 cu. ft. drawer -- refrigerator only. We were not happy with the resultant lack of freezer space.

So we opted to replace the Dometic unit with a Vitrifrigo DW-70 stainless freezer drawer (2.6 cu ft). It required some modification/loss of cabinetry space below the flatware drawer, but the unit fits -- and the admiral is thrilled!

cec View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 19:19
oh wow!  i was wondering if something like that could be done.  very nice.  is that the same place that they would have put the Dometic drawer?  

I really like the Oak and white counters.  Nice choices!  

/cc
/cc
Annapolis View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annapolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2017 at 22:19
we have both the standard L shaped fridge and the optional drawer, when cruising we also carry a Yeti cooler that fits perfectly between the helm seats.  if ordering a new boat, i would consider the cockpit fridge to have 3 locations but it takes up a lot of space in the cockpit
DotandDash View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DotandDash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2017 at 16:57
Yes, the Dometic unit came fitted in the same space, with the compressor mounted in a vertical cabinet just to the right of it.

The installer did some careful measuring of the space and the new drawer unit before cutting out the existing cabinetry interior. With the additional trim pieces added (not shown in picture), the Vitrifrigo drawer looks factory-fitted. Unfortunately, Hanse did not provide the Vitrifrigo as an option when ordered.
Doyle View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 13:55
Not an ideal solution, but we have removed the nav station stool and replaced it with a portable cooling/freezer box. Works well and could be wired in for long trips. Well located to the kitchen and good use of otherwise underutilised space.
L & M Doyle
Sydney, Australia
Falshator 61 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Falshator 61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 06:41
Its the old saying- 'Horses for Courses' 
Hanse have built these into their boats as they are adequate for the majority of their Customers who are weekend Warriors. They have only one Condenser which is located under the small token freezer up the top. In the tropics, the cold air struggles to get to the bottom of the Fridge especially if you have it packed full so this is where we kept our Sauces/ Beers etc. We had a Waeco Camp 50l Fidge/Freezer in the QuarterBerth plugged into a 12V outlet which was set at -14 and was our Freezer for the longer legs.
The Boat Fridge doors are small, but this is a good thing as it minimises the hot air entering the Fridge.
Its all about Power on board a Cruising Yacht and the bigger the Fridge or Freezer, the more power it takes
Your dreams are what give us strength,
but you will never know if you have the strength to realise your dreams....
unless you try
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>