myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 300 / 301
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow throttle response

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob-K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2017 at 14:41
I do have a folding prop but that is not the issue because there is a long delay (1 or even 2 minutes) before the revs increase.  So far I have been living with the problem and trying to anticipate it by selecting reverse early when I approach a pontoon.  It makes life more exciting!?

Once the boat is laid up for the winter I will get the tools out and find out whats going on.  With a bit of luck I hope to have an answer before spring....watch this space..
AlanL View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2017 at 15:49
So I discussed this today with some of the guys at MarineTech in Gosport (who were very helpful) and just happened to have a similar engine in bits in their shed, including the governor.  Having discussed all the symptoms, they seemed to think it must be a fuel problem of some sort.  One thing that came out was that the pipes that I have in my fuel system are clear and apparently are actually water pipe!!  These tend to go brittle and are dangerous, and one side effect may be that the seals around them could be poor, even when apparently fully tightened, such that as the engine heats up so we start to suck air.  This could also explain what has felt like a drop off in performance over time when running with the engine.

Rob-K, have you checked your fuel lines/connections?  We did also discuss the governor as they had one apart and while there may be issues with the return spring they could not see that producing the effect I am seeing, and the other alternative of a weight being thrown shoudl be very obvious from the clatter when the engine is running.

My next step is to replace all my fuel lines with some certified fuel pipe, check all the connections, service the engine with all new filters, and see if it still happens.  But that won't be until next season now.
Hobo
Hanse 301
GBR 2996L
AlanL View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 11:57
Well I have had the engine fully professionally serviced, fuel lines replaced, removed the little mesh filter in the banjo pipe as I now have a pre-filter - and it still does exactly the same thing!  Driving me crazy and slightly worrying in some situations.  Rob-K have you made any progress in identifying the problem and fixing it?

In other news, Hobo managed to win the Club class at the Portsmouth Regatta on June 9/10, and at the Round the Island Race (Isle of Wight) last Saturday we came 6th of 31 in class 6B (98/646 in ISC overall).  We were also 4th of 28 Hanse yachts entered with MS Amlin Scotch Mist (Hanse 312) being the fastest so well done to them!  It was a very difficult race with generally very light winds and almost half the fleet failed to finish.

Still trying to encourage anyone in the Solent to come racing at the Portsmouth Sailing Club Parhelion series races in Late Sept/Oct on Saturday mornings.  No experience or handicap needed and very friendly on the water and back at the club.
Hobo
Hanse 301
GBR 2996L
Rob-K View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob-K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 17:04
Good news - my engine problem appears to have been cured.  However, I'm still not sure what the root cause was.  I took the front casing off and checked the governor and throttle linkage but couldn't find anything wrong.  I did however find a small amount of dirt/sludge in the primary fuel filter (even though this was changed last year.  On reassembly the engine struggled to run at more than a tick-over and produced lots of smoke.  At which point I lost patience and left it to the local Volvo Penta dealer to fix.
They found dirt in the injection pump, cleaned it out and the engine has run sweetly ever since.
I'm guessing that the dirt in the injection pump may have be as a result of my attempts to fix the problem.  Cleaning the pump also appears to have cured the long standing throttle lag problem.  I'm not sure that is going to help you resolve Hobo's problem Alan L.  I'm happy to discuss it further by email or phone if you wish.
Incidentally we also entered the Round The Island Race this year but retired as we struggled to reach Bembridge with no wind and more importantly we found that all the beer had gone warm.
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 20:02
In my post "inside the fuel tank" from May 8th 2017, you see strange items which were removed from my fuel hose between the engine and the diesel tank.

Edited by Captain Cook - 13 August 2018 at 20:03
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
AlanL View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 18:29
Hi Rob, Glad to hear you got your engine sorted!  I'm still suffering and am about to try turning to a Volvo main agent.  I know there is one in Port Solent but who was the one you dealt with?  Was it in Chichester?  It may be easier for me to get them to look at it as the symptoms are so similar and I could leave the boat in Chichester Marina.  

Hope you had a good summer sailing.  If you get the chance you should come play in the PSC Autumn series races on a Saturday morning over by Portsmouth harbour as we have a very friendly group there and would be nice to see another 301 (as long you as you did not beat me Smile).

Thanks,
Alan.
Hobo
Hanse 301
GBR 2996L
Rob-K View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob-K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 14:02
Hi Alan,
I used a company called Power Afloat who are Volvo Penta dealers and are based at Elkins boat yard in Christchurch.  However I'm not sure that is going to be any use to you if your Hanse has a fin keel.  Mine is shallow draft wing keel and so we can get in and out of Christchurch harbour OK but I think anything over 1.5m draft would be tricky.
The only way I can make any sense of the symptoms is if there was dirt preventing free movement of the rack on the injection pump but as this only occured when the engine was hot it would have to have also been due to reduced clearance when at operating temperature.  The rack mooved freely when cold but of course you can't check when its hot.

Good luck.  I hope you manage to get it sorted out.  It's such a relief to get it fixed; I can now approach a pontoon without worrying if I can get reverse thrust when I need it!

Regards  Rob
AlanL View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 20:30
So almost a year later and having had the fun (not!) of the engine going completely dead when coming into the marina after motoring in from abandoning the Round the Island Race, I decided this needed to be fixed one way or another.  Having tried a bunch of things, the dealer finally agreed that it would be worth taking the injection pump out and getting it sent to Volvo and cleaned.  And so far, albeit only on the evidence of a couple of trips, the problem seems to be fixed!  It was great to pull into the marina and be able to use reverse to slow us down when I had a following tide and wind. Smile And on the positive side the last few years have certainly forced me to learn how to handle the boat without relying on the engine which is no bad thing.  Thanks Rob for the insights from your experience or we would probably still be scratching our heads.  And thanks to everyone else for your ideas.

P.S. Anyone in the Portsmouth area that fancies some fun racing, the PSC Parhelion autumn series has started and it would be great to have other Hanse yachts take part, all standards welcome!  Racing on Saturdays at 10:15 outside Portsmouth Harbour and usually finished by 14:00.
Hobo
Hanse 301
GBR 2996L
Rob-K View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob-K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2019 at 21:05
I'm glad to hear you got it fixed.  No more crashing the pontoons!
Incidentally, we also retired again from the Round The Island Race this year but at least we got past Bembridge before timing out this time.  I'm praying for a nice steady force 4 all the way round next year..

andrush View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2020 at 20:14
hi guys, so have the injector pump fix solved the problem? Now is new sesason and you must have experience again?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>