myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freshwater under the floor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freshwater under the floor
    Posted: 03 August 2017 at 15:13
Hi All,
We just bought ourselfs a Hanse 341 from 2004.Smile
Under the salon floor (in the bilge) we find freshwater - dry it up - and next day, it is there again. 2-4 dl.

Does anyone have any experiences with freshwater in the bilge? I suspect a leakage between the pressure pump and the tap in kitchen or bathroom. The part from kitchen sinks through the sea-valve is dry and ok.

Where can I find an overlook of freshwater hoses and pumps?

Cheers, Thomas
Thomas G.
Hanse 341 nr. 198 (2004)
"REBECCA II"
robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 17:43
If you have leak in the pumped water part of the system you woul likely get the pump pulsing when in standby as it tried to restore the pressure. If that is not happening then it maybe the heads drain. What section of the floor have you found the water in as that may give an idea of where it is coming from, with tell tail marks in any dust under the floor.

Cheers,

Rob
"Blue Horizon" Hanse 341#113 Portsmouth Harbour UK
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2017 at 19:56
I've just had a freshwater pipe failure on my 370 just on the high pressure side of the pump in the heads.  I think the hose had been going for some time as the pump very occasionally pressurised for a second or 2.  When the pipe finally got a full blown hole the pump cycled similar to if a tap was just dribbling.
Normally we have a dry bilge.  I think by the time I heard the pump running and put 2 and 2 together I would guess around 50lt of water in the bilge.
I believe it takes considerable time for the water to work through the limber holes under the floor boards as I pumped out a lot only to find an hour later a deep pool once again.  So you may fix the issue only to have residual water appear.
On the 370 (2008 era) there was also an issue with the bonded windows leaking allowing fresh rainwater in.  Since Hanse fixed those it has been dry - up until last weekend :-(
It may be that one of your window seals has gone (although I doubt the same bonding issue as the 370 due to the age/design) ???

Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
#hansesally View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote #hansesally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2017 at 08:03
Hi Thomas

Congratz with the 341! :-)

There can obviously be several reasons for water in the bilge. Now that you know that itīs fresh water, I would start by checking all deck fittings. Did you recently scrub the deck down using plenty of water? Or perhaps the heavy rainfalls this summer have been a contributing factor ? Water gets in everywhere... like loose cleats, stanchions etc etc

Add some mild detergent when cleaning the deck. If you can taste soap in the bilge water, you have the answer.

Try this: Clean up the bilge so it appears dry. Then rock the boat from side to side. You will likely see more water reappearing in the bilge.

Edited by #hansesally - 04 August 2017 at 08:09
#hansesally
H342
c/n 295
Denmark
MAGNUM 1 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAGNUM 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2017 at 14:02
Additional failors are perhaps: 1. The overpressure valve at the hot water tank 2. The srew cap of the freshwater tank is not fixed enough
ThomasG View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2017 at 10:25
Hi Robh - thanks for your input.
The pressure-pump gives a short gulp every hour or so - not more than that. Is that normal?

We dry up the water through the small holes in the tunnel/frame-rib going across between head and kitchen - where it meets the lengthwise tunnel in center.
I tested the lengthwise by pouring a glass of lemon-flavoured water from aft under the waterheater, and a moment later, the water in the cross-section smelt of lemon.
So I think maybe it is the water-heater leaking. I have to check the fittings when I get back onboard REBECCA II - unfortunately not until 27'th AUG Ouch
Thanks a lot for your quick response. Cheers, Thomas
Thomas G.
Hanse 341 nr. 198 (2004)
"REBECCA II"
ThomasG View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2017 at 10:35
Hi Peter - thanks a lot for your quick response - we also experienced that it takes some time for all the water to run through. During our lemon-water-test from the aft locker/water-heater, we first dried up all the water in the bilge, then took a half-hour rest in the forward cabin (tough work) and after that, we dried up more water.

Your experience with the pressure pump sounds scary - thank god, you were onboard in the moment of the blow-outAngry

The water in REBECCA II is from the internal system - not rainwater. I cleaned the freshwater tank by pouring a liter of Rodalon in the half full tank and sailed with that for 24 hours. I then emptied the tank from the kitchen tap, and there was a lot of foam in it. Both the cold and the warm water tap. AND the water in the bilge was foamy for two days as well. (Three days from the warm water tap). This tells me, that the freshwater is from the system.

Cheers, Thomas
Thomas G.
Hanse 341 nr. 198 (2004)
"REBECCA II"
ThomasG View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2017 at 10:42
Hi HanseSally, - thanks for your quick response - as you may see above, I am pretty sure, that the water comes from inside "the system".

Never the less - thank you for the inspiration to check up on deck fittings. Winter is coming - REBECCA II is staying in the water - and a watertight ship is essentiel for this.

Thanks again for your inspiration. Cheers, Thomas

Thomas G.
Hanse 341 nr. 198 (2004)
"REBECCA II"
echoofwight View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echoofwight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 08:08
Hi, when we have freshwater in the bilge it has always been from the pressure relief valve on the water heater.
Steve. Hanse 341 Echo of Wight, . Deep draft and rudder, white hull, Single aft cabin. Raymarine instruments. Raymarine radar. Garmin AIS. Wheel Steering,   Portsmouth.
ThomasG View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThomasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2017 at 08:29
Hi - thank you for your input.
I have thought so myself - do you have any idea what to do about it?
 I will try to place a small bucket under the valve, to see if it does the trick.
Cheers, Thomas
Thomas G.
Hanse 341 nr. 198 (2004)
"REBECCA II"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>