myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading from NSS 8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seileren1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading from NSS 8
    Posted: 01 December 2017 at 17:57
Hi,

We would like to upgrade from Simrad NSS 8 master and 12 slave to a system which can provide us with gofree functionality. Our existing system has IS 20’ AP 24, 4 g radar etc.

Any suggestions recommendations?

Cheers
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2017 at 19:25
If they stuff works flawlessly, why don't you add a gofree module via Simnet ?
Reasonable cost and works ( for me ) quite well

Frank
seileren1 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seileren1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2017 at 22:27
Apparently the nss8 from 2012 dose not work with the GoFree module.

You need a NSS EVO 2. But one of my questions is if you need to upgrade both the master and slave unit, and if this will be compatable with the rest of the system?

Cheers
alidal View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alidal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 00:30
My NSS7 from 2012 work with gofree....

Edited by alidal - 02 December 2017 at 04:48
Hanse 400#655
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 06:38
Dito, my NSS 8 from early 2013 works flawlessly with the gofree module.  Last year the dealer offered me a exchange for the latest B&G version for a whopping 2000.- €.

Never touch a working systemLOL
Frank
seileren1 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seileren1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 12:06
Thank you guys for your response. Both Navico in Spain where I have the boat, and my home dealer (independent of each other) claimed that I had to have an EVO 2 version and that my existing unit was not compatable with GoFree. The technicans that came omboard to installed the GoFree could not get the system to work either, so I tend to trust them.

So assuming that they are right, what do I do?

Cheers
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 15:32
Try to borrow a gofree unit in from a friendly neighbour in your harbor in Spain and test it yourself, it is a simple plug and play. Don't know if they have changed the Software/Hardware between 2012 and early 2013. Have you sent a E-Mail request to Simrad in the UK ?  Normally they come back within a few days with a qualified response.
Do you have the latest software sersion on your NSS 8? Afaik the latest and last NSS version dates back to 2014.  They have just released a new app for Android, I-Phone and I-Pad, it is now called "link".

Good Luck!
Frank
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2017 at 21:53
Originally posted by seileren1 seileren1 wrote:

Thank you guys for your response. Both Navico in Spain where I have the boat, and my home dealer (independent of each other) claimed that I had to have an EVO 2 version and that my existing unit was not compatable with GoFree. The technicans that came omboard to installed the GoFree could not get the system to work either, so I tend to trust them.

So assuming that they are right, what do I do?

Cheers

You need to update the firmware in the NSS8. To do that you will need a micro SD card. The instructions how to do it and the firmware itself can be found on the Simrad site under Support/NSS8. The process is quite straightforward. My NSS8 is from 2012 and I updated the firmware several years ago. WiFi set up now appears in the menu (although I have never fitted a GoFree unit).

Oh - and when you've done the firmware update maybe you should also update your local 'experts'.  Smile  Wink
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2017 at 09:37
Hi,
I changed my System to B&G. All the other components are working together with the Zeus. The only Part you need in addition is a cable which connects the Plotter to the Simnet.
best regards

Bjoern

High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2017 at 10:13
Further to my previous post (above), the link you need to the NSS 8 Software Update process is here.

I updated my NSS8 around 2013/14 where the addition of WiFi suppport was the main improvement. This latest update (July 2014!) doesn't mention WiFi because it's already included in the previous build. The update is a complete software reload so all previous updates (even if you missed them) should be included.

I haven't updated my system with V3 yet so will try it next week. I'll report if there are any problems but I'm not anticipating any.

Edited by High Time - 03 December 2017 at 10:18
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>