myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keel Loss

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r schupak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 00:10
Hi All----just a quick note about rudder shafts. Some of the alloys used in rudder shafts (including some of the ones used by Hanse) are aluminum alloys and should NOT be painted with copper based paints. This can lead to a gradual pitting condition that could then lead to shearing of the shaft. I now use Tri Lux paint on my rudder shaft as well as the saildrive unit.  One more thing------SPRING IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER !!! Happy sailing everyone.
Robert Schupak

Mamaroneck,NY

2004 341

Getting old is inevitable;growing up is optional !!
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 01:12
Yup, this has been pointed out in other threads. Here's some info from Jefa. Personally, I use the special antifouling on an even bigger area around the shaft - about 20cm radius - just to be sure.

ftp://ftp.jefa.com/rudder/maintenance/Rudder_blade_anti_fouling_instructions.pdf

Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
perry View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 08:20
Just a point about sinking from rudder/ rudder tube breakage.

My old H301 has a thick bulkhead designed to seal off the aft section up to a height level with the top of rudder tube. In theory this waterproof bulhead would prevent sinking, or at least give a chance of saving yacht from the fast sinking experienced in the rudder failure of H371 Megawatt.
Unfortunately I suspect my yacht is typical in that this rear bulkead is penetrated several time by after market instalations of Ebesbacker heater, calorifier pipes, and a selection other holes for cables. These holes could have been avoided by taking pipes over the bulhheaad and/or using waterproof bulkhead connections?
Water proof safety bulheads have saved ships in the past if correctly designed [lets forget the Titanic?]

Current Yacht Hanse 315 2007
Last Yacht Hanse 301 Round GB in 2017
Heikki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 14:48
The rudder tube should always be constructed more solid than the rudder shaft. So, incase of rudder hitting an obstacle, the rudder shaft or rudder will break before the tube. Ofcourse, it is not nice to loose the rudder, but the boat will still be floating after that. If the rudder tube breaks, the situation is much worse. I suppose Hanse knows this, as you can find stories about rudder losses (for instance Dove II, Hanse 530), but problems with rudder tube have not been reported as far as I know.

Heikki
Melanie
Hanse 400e #121
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 16:51
My rudder does not sit in a  tube as such. There is just a short open stub approx (from memory) 175mm long finishing just above the waterline. This is filled at the bottom by the shaft & its bearing. Certainly the top of this "tube" is not structural, being quite thin
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12