myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black tank problems / replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black tank problems / replacement
    Posted: 19 March 2018 at 02:17
I have had an ongoing problem with black tank blockage onboard my 2013 Hanse 385. I am thinking of replacing the black tank and or fitting a diverter valve straight to sea. Has anyone any advise on this? Does the tank come out of the wall space behind the shelved cover? There is a steel band holding the tank in with no apparent way of removal? Do I have to break the wall out? Thanks.
Simon
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 07:46
Hi we had a few problems with this in our first year, but after some messy research found that the problem was barnacles growing just inside the through hull fitting, it only takes a couple of barnacles and some loo paper and the tank soon backs up. We don't flush loo paper anymore and clean the through hull fitting fairly regularly and haven't had any problems since then.
I would be surprised if the problem is with your tank as there isn't anything to go wrong inside it, the only other thing that can go wrong is the air intake filter can become blocked, but that can be cleaned easily. We also fitted a Gobius external tank monitor so we can check if the levels are rising.
I can assure you that my other brilliant idea which was to put a high pressure hose into the deck waste fitting doesn't work! Even with the small tank that Hanse insist on fitting there is quite enough in there to cover you head to foot! Cry
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Speedwell View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 08:49
Hi Paul, Thanks for this. Ours seems to clear easily with a trip round the side in the tender and a plunger. I also had a similar brilliant idea using the tender pump to pressure up the tank which didn't end well either (much to the amusement of my crew! Do you clean the through hull fitting whilst in the water? What tool / method do you use? How far up the pipe are the barnacles usually?

Thanks for your help on this.

Best regards

Simon
Simon
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 09:15
Hi, glad to hear other people have brilliant ideas too! What can possibly go wrong?
By pressurising your tank, you may well have blocked the air intake, so it might be worth checking that.
Yes you can reach the through hull from a low dinghy, I just use a big flat bladed screw driver that you can use the side of to gently scrape round the fitting, the barnacles don't seem to stick particularly strongly and are usually just inside the fitting so come off quite easily.
I would suggest staying upstream of the outlet as if there is a blockage........
Good luck

Persse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 10:57
Toilet paper blocks the system very easily. If at a marina finger you can reach under water with a hose going and unblock it easily enough. I banned toilet paper going into the system a log time ago and have not had a repeat blockage. ( fold up the paper and put in plastic bag for disposal ashore)

Phil O
Snow White View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 12:42
And in case of an electric toilet...  What about ?
Have a good Day.
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2018 at 13:32
Hi Snow White, as they say in SE Asia, same same! No toilet paper and keep the through hull clean
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2018 at 09:49
Hè Simon,
It is easy to take the tanks out.
First you take all the tubes off than simply lift the tank out of the steel band. There is no other fixation of the tank.
Normaly there is enough space to to take out.
We do this job every year to clean the tanks. The most common problems of blocking are:
1 )the intake has a very reduced connection and the tube who is going up inside the tank get blocked.
It is not easy to clean this tube from the outside because of the reduced incoming connection. I have drilled a inspection hole with a removable flange in the topside of the tank just opposite the tube and made a SS tool same dia als the inside dia of the tube to scrab the dirt out.
2) the outlet connection has the same reduced dia and get easy blocked. You can clean this from the outside.
3) check al the tubes for blocking.
In the Med the temp , the salt in the water and the fact that we live 6 months in the summer on board make this job
necessary.
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
 Post Reply Post Reply