myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bilge alarm sensor location

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bilge alarm sensor location
    Posted: 11 April 2018 at 08:04
I checked this weekend, no alarm, only a very small pump a cute one Tongue, but this will not help me out if i have a real issue. Then we need some real stuff !!
Best regards
/C
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 17:50
there is no alarm on ours either
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 13:16

I have bought some of these water alarms from ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/382307424941

I have placed several places around my H400 to warn of any water in bilge.

If you place one under the sink this is more or less the lowest point and it will get water if you get some in the bilge. I have bought a dedicated oil extractor to vacuumed out any water in bilge, but not used it yet. 

I also bought a cheap endoscope for smartphone om ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/332249758637

Then you can really find out what is going on inside the stingers if you are allergic against water in bilge as i am.

Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 10:58
AFAIK Hanse does not install a water alarm in the bilge. They rely on the float switch.
The problem is that water accumulates in the cavities formed by the stringers
The culprits mentionned were the shower sump, the water heater and leaking faucets or leaking pipe joints. Special attention apparently should be geared towards the external shower.

I have a grey water collector sump below the pantry, which is another cause for bilge water. Therefore I have installed a cheapo water sensor from www.conrad.de below this sump. In order to have a really dry bilge you need to get the water out of the stringers. For this we have used a small oil change piston pump with a 6 mm hose about 2-3 times / season. You need a small pipe dia in order to get all water out, a garden hose is way too big

This year I have bought a little gear self priming pump with a small pipe inlet. I will try to move the watersensor into the Stringer, although I assume that this might trigger more alarms as necessary

Frank
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 07:10
I do not believe that there is any alarm fitted to the electric bilge pump and I guess that if you add one it would also get triggered when running the pump manually from the main electric switch panel.
As other threads have pointed out, without a "sump" to collect water in the bilge, you can get a considerable amount of water in the bilges before the float switch is triggered.  It has been suggested that the area below the galley sink might be the lowest accessible point.
I also like the idea that someone came up with of adding a T-junction to the pipe for the shower and using a flexible (garden?) hose to suck out water from all those difficult to reach places.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 06:49
Thanks for this subject,

i will check if i have a bilge alarm on my 385, i was not aware of it.Thumbs Up

Best regards
/C
neilbay View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 06:43
Hi

I have a H400 fitted with a Yanmar Engine and Saildrive - It has a sensor and alarm for the saildrive seal.

The float switch and buzzer and in the bilge under the stairs
Hanse 400 2007 - Back in NZ
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 06:37
Hello, is your 385 equipped with a Yanmar engine ? If i am well informed they have a double seal at the saildrive with an alarm build in to warn you if the outer seal is leaking. Volvo does not have this double seal.
Best regards
/C
neilbay View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 04:03
Hi

I bought a buzzer an fitted it to the float switch as my H400 did not have an alarm

Cheers Neil
Hanse 400 2007 - Back in NZ
torridonyachtcharter View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torridonyachtcharter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 23:12
Can anyone please tell me where the sensor is that activates the bilge alarm on our 385?  Raising the float switch on the electric pump does not seem to trigger the alarm.  
Bareboat yacht charter from Loch Torridon, Scotland, with Torridon Yacht Charter
 Post Reply Post Reply